Sorcerer King - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The 4x Strategy game Sorcerer King has been released today on Steam:
Your world is about to come to an end in this new fantasy strategy game from Stardock. You’re in a struggle against the ever ticking Doomsday counter to save your world from the Sorcerer King before he can cast the Spell of Making to become a god and destroy the world. You’ll explore the land and encounter hundreds of quests along the way as you expand your kingdom, learn powerful new magic spells and choose who will be your friends or rivals. Can you last long enough for the final showdown? Can you stop the Sorcerer King?

More information.

Thanks for the info, Black Rune - many Watchers like strategy games!

I'm not big on them, but yes strategy and tactics are very huge here, and I sneak into one of them every so often too. I kinda suck at them, but not as bad as shooters.

I really want to play this one....but have to many games to play right now...

I'm on a ps2 emulator on my pc kick right now.

...many Watchers like strategy games!
Build up your character over time so you can overcome more powerful enemies with your new skills/magic. Or build up your empire over time so you can overcome more powerful enemies with your new technology/magic.

Can the Fallen Enchanteress engine really be repurposed for something compelling? I don't know, it seems like a cheap rehash to me.

I would like to play this, but since it doesn't have multiplayer - I won't bother. I use singleplayer for practive only - and I simply can't engage myself in a singleplayer only strategy game. It feels so pointless.

But it does look interesting, so it's unfortunate that they insist on excluding multiplayer.

I'm not really sure how the game would work in multiplayer. It's not a game like Civilization or Endless Legend where everyone starts out equally. The whole point of Sorcerer King is that your enemy is vastly more powerful than you and could wipe you out in a second if it wanted to. The goal is to slowly build up enough power to defeat him while avoiding being perceived as a threat so you aren't wiped off the map. It's sort of part story/RPG and party strategy. Asking for multiplayer in this would be kind of like asking for it in a game like King's Bounty.

I would like to play this, but since it doesn't have multiplayer - I won't bother. I use singleplayer for practive only - and I simply can't engage myself in a singleplayer only strategy game. It feels so pointless.

But it does look interesting, so it's unfortunate that they insist on excluding multiplayer.

Maybe, I honestly hadn't thought about that as an option. There are some mechanics that might not translate well to multiplayer, but I can't say for sure that it wouldn't work. It would definitely require some significant changes.

Cooperative multiplayer would work well, don't you think?

Don't mind Dartagnan, he would ask for multiplayer in a Solitaire game.
The reviews for this game are not that great, looks like the AI is really stupid and the tactical combat is not as good as what you get in Age of Empires 3, Might & Magic Heroes or King's Bounty. Maybe I'll get it when it drops below $10.

The reviews I'm reading on Steam are generally quite good, with that said I was a little surprised that it was released, the last dev diary suggested that they had some more significant changes that they wanted to make. I do love the idea, and Stardock is good about improving their games after release. So I probably will get it, just not right away.

The reviews for this game are not that great, looks like the AI is really stupid and the tactical combat is not as good as what you get in Age of Empires 3, Might & Magic Heroes or King's Bounty. Maybe I'll get it when it drops below $10.

Despite the positive review- I found the tactical combat, and not the 4X strategy mode the real downfall of Fallen Enchantress. It was boring and repetitive and you were forced to do it a lot, and it was often better to go into combat and fight with the same unit type over and over. I doubt this game will be able to compete with games like Endless Legend or Age of Wonders, and I don't think its tactical combat will be on line with that of a Legends of Eisenwald or Heroes of Might and Magic. The problem with games that combine elements, is if one of those elements isn't well done, the whole games sinks.

I like strategy games. Currently learning to play Dominions 3. And I like Stardock. What I don't like are timed games. Not so sure about that doomsday timer. Taking a wait-and-see approach to this one. Tick...tick....tick...

Build up your character over time so you can overcome more powerful enemies with your new skills/magic. Or build up your empire over time so you can overcome more powerful enemies with your new technology/magic.

That's RPGing!

Build up your team over time so you can overcome more powerful enemies with your new skills/magic.

Football Manager, FIFA etc

These games have many fans around here so more news bits about them would be welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom