So.. 2013, the year of RPG drought?

RPGs of 2012:
- Mass Effect 3
- Risen 2
- Diablo 3 (probably shouldn't count)
- Of Orcs And Men
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Ouch why omit those :
- Borderlands 2 (if you don't count this as RPG then don't count games like Dungeon Master with no stories, here it's few puzzles but quite more story and exploration)
- Legend of Grimrock (for now second best RPG of the year right after Borderlands 2)
- Torchlight 2 (Yes it's RPG and it's much better than Diablo 3)
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (not even tried)
- Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (should be released this year, ok a remake)
- King's Bounty : Warriors of the North (ok the series design is too static, it's still a release)
- Dishonored
- Dungeon Lords MMXII (please don't laugh, a remake)
- The Game of Thrones
- Inquisitor
- Avernum: Escape from the pit (yeah yeah a remake)
- Swords and Sorcery : Underworld (not sure for this one)
- Dungeon Gate (not sure for this one)
- Defender's Quest

Ouch why omit those :

- Dungeon Lords MMXII (please don't laugh, a remake)
Hhahuauauauahuahuaa… Oops…
A remake, yes, but… Did anyone buy it?

- Torchlight 2 (Yes it's RPG and it's much better than Diablo 3)
I knew something will persuade me to buy that game eventually, and the usual suspect was the beer. I was wrong. If someone with "hate RPG" nick says it's better then D3, I'm willing to take it as a fact. It's now hanging in my Steam collection waiting for the draught to kick in. :)

You're all forgetting Grimoire, which will cause all game development companies to shut down, and their collective staffs and management commit suicide out of despair that they will never reach it's grandeur.

*snickers* I almost kept a straight face typing this. Almost.

I've got a huge backlog, so no problem. But I'd bet Maylander has zero backlog since he plays them so fast.

I actually haven't played Kingdoms of Amalur yet, but the demo didn't really grab me. I'll probably give it a go in 2013 though, as my backlog is dry as the desert at the moment.

Ouch why omit those :
- Lots of titles

I didn't mention every title I could find in 2010, 2011 and 2012. I merely pointed out the biggest ones, as 2013 doesn't seem to have anything near the same scope (except possibly Two Words 3 and South Park, though even they will probably pale in comparison to some of the games mentioned).

I've never experienced an RPG drought in my life, mostly because there's this little thing called the "past" which yields an absolute plethora of untapped treasures which I'm still yet to play.
Same here. With old RPGs I never got around to and newer titles I've still yet to play, along with the constant influx of new indie titles, Kickstarters and the occasional AAA RPG I'll be kept busy for foreseeable future.

I guess having very little free time helps me avoid any drought!

I am sure we'll see DA3 for next Xmas. As for more info on Two Worlds 3 I'm just going by an announcement they made last year. The company hasn't gone under or anything so I figure it's probable but likely delayed.

Is Spellhold still a company? Is Ravensdale still a go? Arcania wasn't so great, but it sounds like they put aside their pet project to make it in a hurry so I figure it's worth hoping for. Arcania was technically fine.. just ridiculously shallow and half-assed.

I hope South Park vanishes in THQ's imminent demise. I feel bad for THQ, but not for that garbage vanishing into the wasteheap of history.

Last edited:
Maylander is right, it definitely looks a lot thinner next year than in the past two years. Though the past two years have been mighty awesome so I don't know if this is a drought or if it's just that the flood is ending.

Ah well, maybe I'll finally have time to play Baldur's Gate 2 again. And, once X:Rebirth hits I expect it to chew up several months. Then there's all those 4X strategy games...

My guess is that we'll see a bunch more new RPG IP's popping up once the next console generation comes out.

I hope South Park vanishes in THQ's imminent demise. I feel bad for THQ, but not for that garbage vanishing into the wasteheap of history.

So you want Obsidian to suffer a huge financial loss just as they'd be freeing up staff to join work on Project Eternity? Celebrating the prospects of people losing their jobs just because the idea of some game you won't play existing offends your sensibilities?

Just to clarify - they're referring to the publisher (THQ) and not the developer (Obsidian).

Well, thanks for your post ... I was just thinking for a second that maybe there was this huge secret party at Obsidian and they burned through $4 millions just like that and there would be no Project Eternity....

Spiderweb will release another Avernum and Avadon I bet.

I'm definitely keen for the remake of Avernum 2; looking forward to that when it's released so that I can chronologically continue the adventure.

Insane SP fanboys ITT.

Like Obsidian gets paid after a game ships. They don't meet Metacritic #'s and everyone gets fired anyhow. THQ falling apart is meaning some bad things in some places but Obsidian isn't going to take the brunt of it. At best, it'll end up at the bottom of their "Unfinished Licensed Crap" bin with Aliens.

Don't mention Aliens. I will never get over not getting my serious take on an Aliens RPG…. To make it worse, they go and focus on a shit-tastic cartoon instead. Oh, the pain.

Maylander, have you played Legend of Grimrock yet? If not, you definitely need to imo.

Sadly no. I'm not a big fan of dungeon crawling. To me, even MM6 was pushing it in terms of too big dungeons (Tomb of VARN, Castle Darkmoor and a few other massive ones), while MM7 pretty much nailed it. It has good dungeons, but daylight is never too far away.

Any news or rumours what Piranha Bytes are up to next?

Hhahuauauauahuahuaa… Oops…
A remake, yes, but… Did anyone buy it?

I knew something will persuade me to buy that game eventually, and the usual suspect was the beer. I was wrong. If someone with "hate RPG" nick says it's better then D3, I'm willing to take it as a fact. It's now hanging in my Steam collection waiting for the draught to kick in. :)

I just don't get the Torchlight series. I bought the first game but the art style makes me feel like I'm murdering the tourists in Magic Kingdom. I much prefer a more serious setting like Dungeon Seige 3 or Diablo 3.

Back
Top Bottom