Universe Edge - FTL on Steroids

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Albert Olivera launched a new kickstarter called Universe Edge. He sent out a press release with more information. I'm tired right now to type more so let it describe the game for me.:sleep:
Universe Edge : A spaceship-building, crew-management game. FTL on steroids.

Universe Edge has just launched a Kickstarter Campaign, and it has a short pre-alpha demo that backers can check out.

In Universe Edge, gamers will be able to build a spaceship, spacestation, build a base on planets or asteroids. Build and interconnect equipments that has their own functionality that will contribute on your ship's overall performance. Manage your crew, and guide them to survive.

Players that played and enjoyed Gnomoria, or other DF-inspired games like Rimworld, Spacebase DF-9, might like Universe Edge too.

If they have also played and enjoyed games like Starmade, or Space Engineers, they might like Universe Edge even more.

This game is a mix of both genre. The games that inspired the making of Universe Edge are Gnomoria, Eve Online, The Sims, and FTL.

The game is currently being made by one person, and is set to release on June 2015. ( Dec 2014 for Kickstarter Backers )

Kickstarter Campaign : http://kck.st/1eXQtnR
Gameplay Video : http://youtu.be/YB62D25fbSU
Teaser Trailer : http://youtu.be/wjEeuf-K9GM
Demo : http://universe-edge.com/prealpha.html

The games that inspired the making of Universe Edge are Gnomoria, Eve Online, The Sims, and FTL.
So a game is inspired by MMO, DLC:The Game and unbalanced mobs game.
Yet another.
Isn't an indie game supposed to have something new? AND FAIR?

I'll skip this one and save my money for a project inspired by Bonetown.

Just once Joxer you should actually read the links for more information. Here let me write down what the kickstarter says right in the first sentence of the link.
A single-player, spaceship-building, crew-management, space-exploration game.
So no it's not another MMO cash grab as you call them either.;)

Okay couch, now read what I said and then rephrase it into:

I'll skip this one and save my money for a project
single-player, spaceship-building, crew-management, space-exploration game
inspired by Bonetown.

inspiration.jpg

Okay coach, now read what I said and then rephrase it into:

I'll skip this one and save my money for a project
single-player, spaceship-building, crew-management, space-exploration game
inspired by Bonetown.
I'll pass thanks as I value your opinions less every time I read them. Now moving now does anyone have anything good to say on this site for once.;)

I don't see why would you value any opinion, agree or disagree to a level and that's it.

It seems you got too attached to a project that's not yours. Dunno why.
It's not your fault they've chosen to present the game by numbering what inspired them. Or… Him. It's being developed by one person if I understood correctly.

You want sometone to say something good? Okay, I'll try. He's sexy. :)

I only watched a couple of minutes of the youtube video, but I think it has custom ship design?

I feel like this added complexity will actually detract from the game. In FTL each ship is unique and sort of like its own puzzle. If you allow users to build their own ships everyone will work towards the one "optimal" design. Like a tower defense game, the interior design will be sort of impractical and ugly with winding corridors to force the boarding creatures into where you want them.

One of the key features that adds replay value to FTL is unlocking the new ships, which can be a very involved quest that takes several attempts. It took me ages to unlock the mantis ship, and some I never unlocked before I put the game down.

Hm. It could be a neat idea, but if I have to be honest, too ambitious for one man, especially one with "medium experiences in game development/programming".

Release is planned in 2017 and frankly, I am skeptical he'll be able to deliver that.

Back
Top Bottom