A game for friends who are foes?

Din Jävel

Traveler
Is there such a game out there? Where you make quests and/or dungeons for your friends to complete?

I have, since I read the Discworld series the first time been looking for a game where you take on the role of god or other potent creature. And in that game you put the other gods heros and champions to the test.

Now, it doesn't have to be strictly a god game, but I would very much like to know if anybody knows of a game that is vaguely or not in the genre of making quests and other adventures for other players.

I know that several rpg has better or worse creation tools. We have tried a couple and have not been happy.

The reason why I ask is that I have lost touch with crpg and there is a huge indie game industry out there which I know little of.

I can think of a few games to recommend.

1. Neverwinter Nights
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Neverwinter F2P MMO

There was a few kickstarters that failed to get funded last year was promising, but I remember one of the failed games decided to continue development.

Dungeonforge - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1004444231/dungeonforge-be-the-ultimate-dungeon-master
Swords-flying, action RPG where you drive and shape the gameworld and everyone has a chance to tell their own unique story.
Also a new D&D RPG game was announced this month.

Sword Coasts Legend - https://swordcoast.com
Sword Coast Legends brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures. In DM Mode, the Dungeon Master engages players and empowers them to have fun in a way that suits the party best while creating a tailored, non-adversarial 4 with 1 experience that any RPG or pen-and-paper fan will enjoy.

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption had a really good "GM mode", which allowed you to not only design your own adventures, but also act as a form of gamemaster during the game.

The mighty Quest for Epic Loot allows you to create dungeons that others then can try.

And not really an RPG, but if you are looking for a real-time "place monsters & traps and watch your friends die horribly" style of game, then check out Dungeonland.

I can think of a few games to recommend.

1. Neverwinter Nights
2. Neverwinter Nights 2
3. Neverwinter F2P MMO

There was a few kickstarters that failed to get funded last year was promising, but I remember one of the failed games decided to continue development.

Dungeonforge - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1004444231/dungeonforge-be-the-ultimate-dungeon-master
Also a new D&D RPG game was announced this month.

Sword Coasts Legend - https://swordcoast.com

Thank you for a great answer!

Dungeonmaster sounded so very much as the game I was looking for. Sadly there hasn't been any updates for a very long time. The failed one fundraiser, but made a much smaller. Since then it has been as silent as in a tomb.

Sword Coast legends sounds promising as well, I will definatly keep my eyes on that.

I tried to use NWN for creating games, but as I remember the editor that came along was very buggy and hardly possible to use. Do you know if they fixed that in the sequel?

Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption had a really good "GM mode", which allowed you to not only design your own adventures, but also act as a form of gamemaster during the game.

The mighty Quest for Epic Loot allows you to create dungeons that others then can try.

And not really an RPG, but if you are looking for a real-time "place monsters & traps and watch your friends die horribly" style of game, then check out Dungeonland.

Ah, and thank you for another great answer!

I'll check out Vampires. It sounds as a really great way to create games for your friends and we used to play a lot of Vampire the masquerade in the 90's.

A mighty quest of epic loot might also be interesting. I will check that out too.

Thank you both for great answers!

I tried to use NWN for creating games, but as I remember the editor that came along was very buggy and hardly possible to use. Do you know if they fixed that in the sequel?
The NWN1 toolset is quite simple and robust - at least in comparison to the NWN2 toolset, where you have a lot more options (e. g. outdoor areas aren't tile based any more) , but it's alot more complicated and not that stable.

I found a new program called MyRPG Master that might interest you also. I was going to make a news-bit later with more information, but here is the link.

MyRPG Master - http://store.steampowered.com/app/329890
MyRPG is a set of many editors that will help you create your 3D (MMO)RPG World. These editors are divided into 4 categories: 3D editors, GUI editors, Rules editors and Universe editors.

My RPG is a tool that is able to create game universes and storylines playable solo or multi through local network or online servers.

Bioware's "Shadow Realms" could have been a game into that direction you want, perhaps ? But it is cancelled now anyway ...

You're cruel. ;)

Hey look, there's cookies in the oven! But the oven is broke anyway.

Back
Top Bottom