Shaker - "Mercy killing"

Re-treading well-worn territory with this reply but - to me - there was a world of difference. PE was clear as a bell on the basic feel and gameplay.

Shaker? A Wizardry-8-like…I think?

Yeah, I know. I didn't comment much on it anymore because I realize that most people here had a different view on PE and are really exited about it. I am certainly happy it did well, and will check it out once it is released.

You were as excited about this game as we were...

Not really. I get the impression the fans were much more excited than either of them. What a half-hearted, half-assed mess.

You seem to possess quite a memory, yet the elusive power of google is still not apparenty in your grasp and your wikipedia-fu also needs some work. Look, Brathwaite and Hall aren't nobodies in their field. They both have credits on as many games as the people on your list. Not games, that nobody in the world has played either.
Citing, that YOU don't immediately recognize a name, and therefore a person is nobody in their field isn't a very smart thing to do. Out of your list i had to google Chris Roberts for instance. Does that mean, that he's a nobody? No, that just means, that although i have played a few of his games (and find them fun diversions), space combat sims aren't ultimately my thing.
Here's the thing: the majority of old-timers know Chris Roberts. The majority do not know who Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? is. Just look around in the forums. Everyone was asking who Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? are, or said they had never heard of them.

Chris Roberts is well known, you just happen to be in the minority who have not heard of them. He actually has a Kickstarter going on right now. Star Citizen is only three days old, and it has already met 76% of its goal, and Kicktraq predicts it will meet 500%+ of its goal. In three days Chris Roberts has raised 50% more money than Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? did in over two weeks.

Maybe Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? can make a great RPG. I don't know, because I don't know who they are, and I have never played any game that bears either of their names. That's another problem right there: either Brenda-WHO and Tom Hall has only one game that titled his/her name. Few people have played either of those games, (i.e., Wizardry 8 and Anachronox.) And those two are not bestsellers that everyone know or has played. Which means they really do not have enough projects to become widely known.

Here's the thing: the majority of old-timers know Chris Roberts. The majority do not know who Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? is. Just look around in the forums. Everyone was asking who Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? are, or said they had never heard of them.

Chris Roberts is well known, you just happen to be in the minority who have not heard of them. He actually has a Kickstarter going on right now. Star Citizen is only three days old, and it has already met 76% of its goal, and Kicktraq predicts it will meet 500%+ of its goal. In three days Chris Roberts has raised 50% more money than Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? did in over two weeks.

Maybe Brenda-and-Tom-WHO? can make a great RPG. I don't know, because I don't know who they are, and I have never played any game that bears either of their names. That's another problem right there: either Brenda-WHO and Tom Hall has only one game that titled his/her name. Few people have played either of those games, (i.e., Wizardry 8 and Anachronox.) And those two are not bestsellers that everyone know or has played. Which means they really do not have enough projects to become widely known.

Do you have issues? This is like the 5 th time you posted this same stuff. You ever play doom? Tom hall is one of the founding members of iD software.

Also, that little known rpg wizardry 8 only won role playing game of the year from computer game magazine. Numerous awards.

But hey, no one here has played it.

Last edited:
Lol, old school RPG fan and he doesn`t know about Brenda and Wizardry series or some legendary games Tom Hall was involved. You never heard about Wolfenstein? What about Rise of the Triad, Commander Keen... Tom Hall is there together with Carmack and Romero. Look at the Credits
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,891/

Brenda is a bit less known as Ian and Linda Currie were the real "stars" at Sirtech. and D.W. Bradley for V-VII of course. But she was there from the beginning...

Well...I know all and played most of the games you named and neither Brenda nor Tom rang any bells. Romero is a different topic, but as I said they seemed to mention his name as advertisement.

However, I never played any Game Chris Roberts made (afaik) - but I knew who he is, so...I guess he got a point. :p

In addition they mentioned that Brenda also worked on Realms of Arkania.
Well, I know that Realms of Arkania is just the english Name for Das Schwarze Auge, a german RPG by Attic (based on a german pen and paper rpg). So whatever her role was there...it probably had nothing to do with game design.

Few people have played either of those games, (i.e., Wizardry 8 and Anachronox.) And those two are not bestsellers that everyone know or has played. Which means they really do not have enough projects to become widely known.

Wow, wow my friend, I was totally with your argument (Shaker=Bad) until you made that last statment. How could you have played all those RPGs over the years and not give Anachronox its due? I don't think there has ever been a more humorous RPG than Anachronox and for me the only games more funnier were Sam & Max and Grim Fandango (adventure games). Anachonox is mentioned all the time on this board and whenever a sale for the game pops up some one always posts a link.

here is a reception summary from Wiki
Anachronox earned praise from critics, despite production delays and associations with Ion Storm's ill-received Daikatana.[63] Reviewers highlighted the game's design, branded an unusual mix between role-playing video games and PC first-person shooters.[4][112][113]

Some compared it to the Final Fantasy series and the recently released Deus Ex.[64][114] Many considered it a success; The Daily Telegraph called it the most original game Ion Storm had produced,[4] while The Scotsman's reviewer appreciated its "many original touches".[64]

IGN felt the combination of genres succeeded where other games failed.[115] The Edmonton Journal considered it "original, polished, attractive and comfortable".[116] Reviewer Paul Ward remarked, "Anachronox is the first serious attempt to get that console-style role-playing game to a PC screen and it succeeds admirably."[117] Robert Evatt summarized it as a Japanese role-playing game with strong sci-fi themes and humor.[118]

The Evening Standard wrote, "Anachronox swaps puzzlement for humour while keeping the character interaction, deep storyline and strategic battles that make the Japanese games so good."[119] Computer Gaming World felt the game "incorporates the best elements of the adventure and role-playing genres."[120] Charles Herold of The New York Times cited "involved storytelling and fascinating gameplay" as strongpoints.[121] He continued, "[Anachronox] is a game of exploration…it takes the best elements of its [RPG] genre while tossing out what's annoying. Nowhere in Anachronox are you required to wander aimlessly along myriad twisting pathways in search of some elusive item, unable to walk more than six paces without being ambushed."[121]

Michael Ahlf similarly appreciated the absence of random encounters.[122] Next Generation Magazine awarded it 4 out 5 stars, but felt the genre-blending resulted in generic gameplay at times.[123]

Most games I have no idea who was behind the design but as somene said earlier, had this kickstarter been the sequel to Anarchonox, and opened with pretty much the same info, it would have had a far far greater chance for success and I doubt they would be shutting the kickstarter down in mid stream.

You ever play doom? Tom hall is one of the founding members of iD software.
Lol, old school RPG fan and he doesn`t know about Brenda and Wizardry series or some legendary games Tom Hall was involved. You never heard about Wolfenstein? What about Rise of the Triad, Commander Keen… Tom Hall is there together with Carmack and Romero. Look at the Credits
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,891/
No. I've never played Doom, or Wolfenstein, or Rise of the Triad, or Commander Keen. I thought we were talking about RPG.

Is Doom a RPG?

Is Wolfenstein a RPG?

Is Rise of the Triad a RPG?

Is Commander Keen a RPG?

So you're basically just admitted Brenda-and-Tom-whoever made a bunch of games that are not RPG. However, they tried to pitch a Kickstarter for a RPG, in which they likely had very little experience, reputation or expertise.

Wow, wow my friend, I was totally with your argument (Shaker=Bad) until you made that last statment. How could you have played all those RPGs over the years and not give Anachronox its due?
I played Anacrhonox for about an hour, and I hated it. Just to put everything in context: I also hated Final Fantasy and almost all JRPG. I am actually taking pleasure in seeing the the slow, drawn-out and on-going painful death of JRPG. I should have specified: I play CRPG and WRPG, and I despise JRPG in general. Anacrhonox has too much JRPG in it, which rubbed me the wrong way.

I am a CRPG and WRPG fans, and I hated JRPG, pretty much all of them. I am very glad JRPG is mostly dead nowadays and WRPG is taking its rightful place as the thriving RPG genre. In terms of old-school RPG, I played every Ultima and Ultima spin-offs since Ultima IV, except Ultima Online. I was not really into Wizardry. In terms of long-running series, old RPG fans were into either Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic or the AD&D Gold Box, usually not all of of them. The only Sir-Tech games I liked were Jagged Alliance games, but they were not exactly RPG.

And Anachronox came out in the 2000, and it is not exactly an "old school" RPG. Of course, if you liked JRPG, you would love Anachronox. For someone like me who hated JRPG, there is no way in hell I would fund Anachronox 2 or anything remotely like it.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should just speak for yourself and stop generalizing about what you think everyone else likes and knows. :)

The problem with Brenda B-whatever and Tom-Hall is that they have not made enough RPG titles to become brand names in the RPG communities.

Let's take Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian as examples. Those guys have made so many RPG titles that every RPG fan must have enjoyed at least a few of them. They only need one or two titles that people liked to convince us to pledge money. I did not like Arcanum or Temple of Elemental Evil, but I enjoyed Planescape Torment and Vampires Bloodlines, and those two titles were enough to convince me to pledge.

Brenda B-whatever and Tom Hall had really headed only two RPG titles: Wizardry 8 and Anachronox. Those were not bestseller titles; not a lot of people have played them, especially when Wizardry 8 is almost impossible to find. Anachronox is a 50/50 game that people either really liked or really hated. So what happened if someone had never played either one? What happened if someone played both or either one but did not like them? What happened if I had never played Wizardry 8 and did not like Anachronox? Then people just decided they were not going to pledge because Brenda B-whatever and Tom Hall had nothing to offer for them: they have never made anything I liked, why should I support their new project?

Simply put, Brenda B-whatever and Tom Hall have not made enough well-known RPG titles under their names to convince a lot of people to give them a lot of money to make a RPG. Two games that did not sell a lot (Wizardry 8 and Anachronox) are really not enough to ask for $1 mil for a RPG.

The more you type the more you look like you don't know what you are talking about. You know absolutely nothing about wizardry 8. And you keep repeating the same junk thinking your are sounding smart, when the opposite is happening.

B-whatever, the word of an eight year old.

I know chris roberts

but BB and TH???

If they thought they would have gotten funding just by namedropping then they thought that their names was far more known than reality implies. A bit of reality check might be in order. I mean that in a kind way.

Do a well thought out kickstarter with a clear vision of what they want to accomplish. "Two games if we get more money!"
I want one decent game!

C

Okay, whatever. Their Kickstarter is DEAD. I suppose that would count as the ultimate satisfaction for me and utmost grief for you guys who must be big fans of Brenda B-who and Tom Hall.

I'm made my points. I move on. It's not like if you guys keep arguing, that would make a difference and magically revive the dead Kickstarter or conjure up $1 mil for them. The thing is DEAD. You guys can keep crying and whining and blaming everyone and bitching everyone else who doesn't support the project, but that's not gonna change a darn thing. The Kickstarter is still dead.

'nuff said.

Last edited:
Let's not forget they also seemed to enjoy Facebook, and that alone is enough to scare the crap outta me…..whatever they made would appeal to THOSE people!! Pandering to the lowest kind of game player isn't even close to a decent sales pitch. Regain your sanity, post a coherent plan for your game, and come back in a year or 3 when people have forgotten about the first miserable attempt.

-Carn

Well, you'd assume that a second game would be equivalent to several cities, large dungeons, quests, story, NPCs, items, etc. etc. - so a lot more than any one of those elements. In principle it could be a nice idea (given the lore they presented it actually made sense) but initially it just sounded overambitious and weird.

Thanks for the link. Looks fantastic! I just may back it. THIS is a credible proposal.

Back
Top Bottom