Supernova 2 Spacewar

Ubbax

Watchdog
I know there are some fans of turn based Space Strategy Games here at the Watch. So I thought I would toss out the link to this intriguing little gem a friend pointed out to me by Riva Celso, programmer/designer, of Tycoon Games.

There is a Demo for it playable on Windows or Mac.

Supernova 2: Spacewar is a sci-fi strategy game featuring a main part mainly based on the macromanagement of your space empire, and a classical turn based wargame part when a fight occurs. You'll have to manage carefully your resources, balancing several aspects like researching new technologies, training better troops, raising the people loyalty in your empire, and building the ultimate fleet to conquer the galaxy!

Supernova 2: Spacewar Forum

I started playing it at the airport on a lengthy stopover, next thing I know my flights being called. I had intended to give a bit more info but boarding has begun so you'll have to check the links.

I've not yet finished a game, so have not experienced all aspects, but from what I have experienced so far I think it's well worth a look.

It has a Tutorial called "Training Camp" which you probably should take a look at before tackling a real game. You might want to jot down the shortcut keys mentioned in that tutorial.

If anyone gives it a try maybe they wouldn't mind a quick post on what they think of it.

Ubbax
"There is just one thing I can promise you about the space program: Your dollars will go farther." - Wernher von Braun

A few emails have come my way regarding the Demo from friends I sent a link out too; so here's a heads up to those intending to play the Demo.

Quick preface (hang in there you'll see why this is important. )
I initially started playing the Demo and was intrigued with the implementation of Turn Based Ship combat the game employed in the Tutorial. As a result I started a game, spent a fair amount of time learning the ins & outs of manipulating Sliders for "Empire Management, and once ready I launched an attack on a Star System. After conquering this System I saved the game.

At this point, being seated in the Airport's Cafe, I strolled to the counter to grab a drink and snacks. While digging in my pocket for the cash to pay I found a scratch & win lottery ticket. So I scratched and won! Yes indeed, $500.00 of free found fun. What's the first thing I did in my elated state? That's right I did something out of character and on a whim splurged $25.00 and purchased the game.
End Preface

So I never reached the Demo's conclusion before continuing with a Retail version.
Purchasing the game will allow you to continue with any save from the Demo.
As a result I was unaware of how limiting the Demo was. Due to the emails I received I installed the Demo on a seperate machine and retried it.

The Demo, is extremely short. Your ship use is limited to a Scout, and a Transport. All ship combat ends immediately after you attack a Star System. This effectively ends the Demo. Sure you can still fiddle with sliders, continue research, and build the two ship types mentioned but what's the point. Even starting a new game will not allow you to re-engage in ship combat.

Without the ability to expand your Empire through ship combat, by attacking a Star System, none of that excess research or ship building will be put into use.

If you plan to try the Demo here's some suggestions to optomize your experience:

1) At Supernova 2 Spacewar Read the online Manual it's much more informative.

2) When you start the game and find yourself looking at the Galaxy Map check your starting Starsystem. Make sure that "Population Cap" is in at least the "30,000 millions" range. This will make it a bit easier to up your cash per turn.
The disparity between starting Starsystems can sometimes be quite large.

3) When you launch an attack on a Starsystem:
Immediately on entering the Ship combat Battle Screen & placing your ships, save the game. This will allow you to re-load directly into combat.
It is the only way in the Demo to experience combat more than once.
The status of ships in a combat is never saved; other than the amount of ships you have available. So each time you reload you can face different opponent ship combinations. You also have the opportunity to place your ships again often from different sides.

So knowing what I do now about the Demo and if my experience had been based solely on it alone, I doubt very much I would have purchased the game. That would have been to bad because while I currently find it "light weight" it's fun.

Riva does have some interesting updates and additions planned for the game:
skirmish mode and allowing custom ship design ala Master of Orion style.

Having extensively read the games forum I've seen Riva mention he intended S2 Spacewar for hardcore Strategy Gamers. In light of that I think it's unfortunate he has chosen to limit the Demo in the manner it is. I don't think serious Strategy Gamers, I happen to be one, will experience enough through the Demo to draw them in.
I hope I'm wrong because with the cash from those Strategy Gamers and a bit of input, along with some polishing and the updates on Riva's part, I think he's on to something good here.

If you're passing on the game, like others I know, because:
1) The Demo indeed was to limiting

2) Perhaps the price is a tad to steep for its current incarnation

Help an Indie Developer out:
Take a few minutes, click the link to the Forum and tell Riva.

For those who choose to pass now I humbly suggest another look when the new additions are in.

Ubbax
"A man must be both stupid and uncharitable who believes there is no virtue or truth but on his own side."--Joseph Addison

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this thread by mistake while googling for reviews of my game :)
First of all, I'm already updating it with custom ships - this is what I have planned for next update:

What’s New in 1.0.3

• added new random unique technologies like Timeshift and Psionic weapons or Cloning Centers
  • added “Ship Customization” screen where you'll be able to create custom ship blueprints modifying an existing one: each device now require a certain amount of space, but the possible custom combinations are thousands
  • added the “Event Summary” screen where you can see a log of all the in-game events, from turn 0 until the end
  • added a real-time turn option during the game macromanagement part, so that time advances automatically without you having to press end turn

the real-time new feature I think will also be interesting for those who hate to press end turn lots of times (was another critic I often received to my game).
Ah btw I'll also increase the demo limit - actually I think you tried an older version because the game should let you play 3 battles before ending (not 1 like you posted). Anyway I've increased the limit in the next update to 15.
Estimate release for next update? I don't know yet, but if you're interested, read my blog or forums :p

Welcome to Rpgwatch :)

Thanks for the update on the status of the game, what's in the works, and the Demo Limit clarification.

I think it's great you plan to increase the the Demo limit; in my opinion it can only bode well for future sales. I still check in regularly at the forums and I'll definitely resend emails letting friends know about the plan for a new "15 Turn Battle limitation" in the Demo.

I still find the game enjoyable but I'm really looking forward to the planned updates. A bit more depth and variability is always a good thing ;)

Ubbax
"We don't stop playing because we grow old...
We grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

The tactical battles sound a bit MOOish which is a huge bonus:

When you attack or defend a starsystem, the view switch to the wargame part. The fog of war will hide most of the map, however you can still see where are the planets. Planets are very important elements in the battlefield. They can give regeneration bonuses each turn for both ship HP and crew. On every battlefield there is a variable number of planets. Using the "Q" and "W" keys you'll see the camera move on the battlefield cycling between the planets present. If you move your mouse over one of them, you'll see in the top-right angle of the screen a text showing the type of planet, and the associated bonuses. Note that you have to move the mouse pointer on planet center to show the values.

Click one of your ships on the map to select it (you can also use the "A" and "S" keys to cycle through them). Click on enemy ship to target it, then press the key number corrisponding to the weapon you want to use, or simply click mouse again to fire all weapons at once. Use right button to cancel your current active ship, center map on cursor and show this text again.

You can toggle grid on/off using key G. You can toggle ship info on/off using key I. Ship info shows a health bar for all ships, and some useful informations for your ships only: the green number on the left shows movement points left, the red number on the right shows how many weapons you can still fire (aren't recharging or out of ammo). The 2 arrows lets you rotate your active ship, or alternatively you can use the Z and X keys.

The firing angle is a very important aspect in the battle. If a ship is hit from the side suffer more damage, and if is hit from behind will suffer great damage. On the other hand, if a ship is hit from front and has enough defenses, could suffer little or no damage at all. You need also to consider recharge times. Sometimes is better to avoid firing a powerful but slow-recharging weapon and wait one more turn to finish off a low HP ships with a regular weaker beam weapon.

Each weapon has a range and an angle of fire: so always check the blinking info next of each weapon on the active ship panel to discover why you can't shoot at your current enemy. The transport ships are special because they are the only ship that can try to board other ships, taking control over them. If you destroy all opponent ships you'll win the battle.

I might buy it if its any good. There arent much of 4x space with turn based tactical battles these days.

Yes that's why I made my own :) and also because I'm pissed when some reviewers compare it to galciv 2. It is actually more a wargame with a macromanagement part. I wanted to put the fun in battles, not in the management part... and as you said there aren't many turn based space combat games around.

Back
Top Bottom