Legend of Grimrock 2 - Classes & Races

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Almost Human's next blog post for Legend of Grimrock 2 shares information on all the races, and classes you can choose to play in the game.

Only two days left before Legend of Grimrock 2 lauches, so we figured it would be a great time to reveal the various character creation options now, so that you can start planning for your ultimate adventuring party.

The first thing to choose is your race. The races are:

Human: Humans are very adaptable and can excel in all professions. Humans gain experience points 10% faster.

Minotaur: Minotaurs are bulky, simple and quick to anger. Their incredible stubborness is tolerated by others only because of their incredible prowess in combat. Minotaurs have the following modifiers to attributes: Strength +5, Dexterity -4, Vitality +4, Willpower -3. Minotaurs are always hungry and their food consumption rate is 25% higher than normal.

Lizardman: Lizardmen are a social outcast and are mistrusted by other races because of their capricious and deceitful nature. What they lack in social skills they greatly make up for in stealth and dexterity. Lizardmen have Dexterity +2 and Willpower -2. In addition their thick scales protect them from the elements (Resist All +25%).

Insectoid: Insectoid’s thoughts are completely alien to other races. Insectoids come in many shapes and sizes but most often their bodies are covered with a thick shell. Their knowledge of the arcane is unrivaled. Insectoids have Strength +1, Dexterity -2, Vitality -1 and Willpower +2. In addition their hard shell protects them from being wounded (-50% chance of getting a body part injured).

Ratling: Ratlings may seem weak and disease ridden on the surface, but they are actually one of the most adaptable and hardy creatures in the world. Ratlings are hoarders by nature (Max Load +15kg) and greatly enjoy fiddling with mechanical contraptions. Ratlings have Strength -4, Dexterity +2 and Evasion +2. Ratlings are immune to effects of diseases.

Each race has special traits that can be chosen in character creation. For example, some Lizardmen have Fast Metabolism which makes them regenerate health and energy 30% faster while some Lizardmen have even thicker scales which makes them very protected against elemental damage (additional +25% bonus to resistances).

Classes in Grimrock 2 are more flexible than in Grimrock 1. The classes give the characters a starting point and nudge towards a path without forcing it upon them. Every class can advance in the 16 available skills as they like. For example, nothing is stopping your Fighter to learn some magic as long as you advance your Fighter in the spell casting skills.
More information.

So instead of adding 4 new classes, they've created 7 specialties and opened up
the skill system. On one hand it will allow a lot more flexability, but I was actually
hoping for new class abilities, like healing. Oh well.

Hm...

Human fighter with heavy weapons and water magic!
Minotaur knight with heavy weapons and armor!
Ratling rogue with light weapons and earth magic!
Insectoid wizard with air and fire magic!

Possibly!

I haven't followed this at all. In the first game you were in a dungeon the whole time and never interacted with anyone, except to fight, iirc. Has the new game expanded? Will we visit towns, merchants, quest-givers, or is this just another dungeon crawler with a few outdoor grids? I didn't care for the first game at all, but would give a more fleshed out sequel a look.

Pretty sure there's still no towns and shops, but you are roaming all around a big open island. In the video he shows the map and it's one big area (although presumably gated between regions)

I never buy games at release, but this one I want to play before there are walkthroughs, because I have zero self-control about cheating when I'm stuck.

I didn't like real time combat in last game and I now see it still has real time combat. Not for me.

The first game was surprisingly good, and I've preordered this one.

So instead of adding 4 new classes, they've created 7 specialties and opened up
the skill system. On one hand it will allow a lot more flexability, but I was actually
hoping for new class abilities, like healing. Oh well.

No, there are 5 new classes. Alchemists, Barbarian, Knight, Battlemage, and another that they still haven't revealed yet.

I was actually hoping for new class abilities

There is one new ability already listed: firearms

And the video perhaps accidentally spoils something that the website is talking up as tomorrow's big reveal: the "farmer" class, which is supposed to make the game play in a fundamentally different way.

The alchemist already makes herbs grow naturally, so I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the farmer might do. Monster taming maybe?

I'm having a little trouble figuring out what the farmer might do.

ok, I spoiled it myself by pausing the video as he hovered over the tooltip, which reads:

As a farmer you do not command great powers and do not know how to wield a sword. Instead you are familiar with digging ditches for irrigation and the growth cycles of pitroot plants, basically everything a successful adventurer would never need.
- Health 30 (+5 per level), Energy 30 (+5 per level)
- You receive no skillpoints at first level
- Instead of slaying monsters you gain experience by eating food

The first game was surprisingly good, and I've preordered this one.

No, there are 5 new classes. Alchemists, Barbarian, Knight, Battlemage, and another that they still haven't revealed yet.

Your right, 5 classes. But it doesn't sound like there are new skill trees as such. Just class abilities. It sounds like there will still be the same 12 skill trees of the old game, but if I'm proved wrong, I'll be happy. When I heard seven classes, I was hoping for some new skill trees.

There is one new ability already listed: firearms

Yeah, not sure how distinct it will be from bows, but the more skill trees, the more interesting the game becomes.

ok, I spoiled it myself by pausing the video as he hovered over the tooltip, which reads:

As a farmer you do not command great powers and do not know how to wield a sword. Instead you are familiar with digging ditches for irrigation and the growth cycles of pitroot plants, basically everything a successful adventurer would never need.
- Health 30 (+5 per level), Energy 30 (+5 per level)
- You receive no skillpoints at first level
- Instead of slaying monsters you gain experience by eating food

Sounds exciting. ;)

I assume there must be more to that class than meets the eye.

lol this guy:

"After literally only a few seconds of loading you arrive at the main menu, which is not only the fastest loading main menu I can remember, but also the most beautiful one! It shows you floating above a misty ocean …"

If you're at the menu screen and you're already gushing, you might not be coming at the game from a completely neutral standpoint.

Also any ideas on the best way to use a Ratman. He doesn't seem to fit any
class particularly well. (Maybe as a gunner?)

The random stat-gain trait seems like a hint that they're meant to be used as hybrids.

I think that Alchemist is meant to be default class for Ratman.Additional carry capacity is good for all those ingredients and I assume firearms benefit from dexterity.

Hey, here's a thing: have they changed the truly bizarre rule that ranged weapons never miss, so that dexterity is a totally meaningless stat for back row ranged attackers?

[edit: ok, folks on the official forums are saying that dex now DOES improve ranged damage]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom