Fallout 3 - Dev Silence

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not a major item but it seems Bethsoft devs still aren't allowed to talk about any Fallout 3 specifics - including items already covered by the Game Informer article. Via Briosafreak's Fallout 3 blog:
Droveri: Ash, it did reveal new things, quite a few new things. Are the staff now allowed to speak of the things mentioned? OR just in a way if they had read the magazine, and comment solely basis on the article?
Ashley Cheng: Sorry, but no one should be commenting on the article or any specifics about the game. Don’t worry - by the time the game comes out, you’ll have all the information you need to decide if you want to play it or not;)
Disappointing.
More information.

Don’t worry - by the time the game comes out, you’ll have all the information you need to decide if you want to play it or not

= demo, baby.

Hopefully, sooner than later.

my moneys on that as well
anyone want 10 to 1 odds

Well, Bethesda knows very well, how hard it will be to come up to the high expectations of thousands of Fallout fans around the world. So they decided, that it´s better to say nothing at all - sad...

Sure. US$10 (or US$90, in your case) to the registered charity of the winner's choice. The recipient must have a website that accepts international donations. Confirmation will be in the form of a screenshot of the receipt, and I'll be blanking out my personal details if you win, but we'll have to take each other's word that the screen hasn't been doctored further. You in?

I really used to like Bethesda and its devs, but they are working really hard on a hard-boiled-big-business-big-brother image. All those forum rules, all that hype and spin, all that forced silence. Not much sympathy left, really.

Actually, a FAR better bet than on a Demo (no chance) is, will there be an Add On/Expansion??

But i don't think you'll need a demo, since this is Bethesda releasing it, of Oblivion fame. We all know how it will be played.

*Ops sorry forgot - switching off irony mode* :)

Ofcourse , we the people, deserves a demo. We have the right to have it...

*Ops sorry, thats sarcasm - darn controls*...

Ah, i will look forward to it and I hope it will be a mix between stalker and oblivion. Would suit me fine! :). Altough i think that Bethesda would be better off to call the game "After the Apocalypse", to lower the dissapointment among fans wanting this to be a bioware/black isle release thingy. But in that case they would be called copycats. No matter what - whatever they do, they will never be able to please the community. But nevertheless Bethesda earns money of their releases, someone likes them, as do people the sims. So, i will line up and give them my money with great confidence, blindfolded if i must, as i once did with Arena.

*ah. atlast - normal mode - tss, thought i broke the switch*

... well i am strange though. I like color tv and i like my sound in stereo.

*darn, that switch IS broken - irony mode - again... *

:)

Can a mod delete the post above? Just reading it lowered my IQ by 10 points.

= demo, baby.

Hopefully, sooner than later.

If I were Bethesda I wouldn't release a demo. I wouldn't want to have (post-release of Fallout 3) a bunch of Fallout fans criticizing Fallout 3 just because they had played a demo, which will be the scenario if a demo is released.
Should Fallout 3 be judged then it ought to be judged on the final product. I would want that at least.

they are not gonna get my money, after changing fallout3 this much.
ever again actually !

still gonna play it though...
dont understand why they always have the change so much.
o well this time i hope they get what they deserve.

Are you a poet?

As I understand, Bethesda didn't release a demo for Morrowind or for Oblivion??

My estimated guess is that they won't do a demo for Fallout 3. Instead they will continue to build the hype via the media, the magazines, and the internetforums, including, of course, their own, and maybe some few other ones.

This time around, people won't be buying the hype, though. They still remember avidly and vividly what happened during Oblivion's development, though. And they will be much more critical this time around.

As for the devs. not talking, socrates200X has said they can talk about what is talked about. I interpret this to mean that they can talk about VATS, for instance or Fat Boy, the nuclear catapult, or some (or all) of the things mentioned in the Game Informer article. They could be still under a strict NDA agreement untill much later though, i.e. untill the next issue of Game Informer is released, since the FO3 story apparently IS a Game Informer exclusive deal.

As a sidenote (of sorts) I can't understand why Bethesda bought the IP??

edit:
On another side, demos today are used for striving young studios to present their game to the world. There was a demo for Titan Quest, a demo for Silverfall and a demo for Dawn of Magic and for Gothic 3, all fairly young studios wanting to make it in the world. Bethesda and Bioware don't have to make demos anymore - people know their products and will buy their games, almost unseen or unreviewed.

Last edited:
I still don't believe this is final though, they are probably just keeping a tight lip until the 15 days exclusivity window of Game Informer ends, and the next batch of articles shows up. At least I hope so, it doesn't make sense to allow people to speculate at will, that's bad business.

For better or worse, Bethesda know how to market their games properly. If they have the option to cause some short term pain in order to do better in the long term they'll do it. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they've got a very careful build up planned for this game, maybe a false release date or two down the line as well just to build up expectations to a carefully honed peak for the actual release of the game.

I think that at 1.5+ years away, they really want to keep things as tight as possible - and I wholeheartedly support that. What possible good can come from various sources talking about snippets of things? It will all end up on rumor-mongering and over-analysis. Better to have very few official sources and just let stuff unfold over time. The only problem - patience ... on the internet ...

It will all end up on rumor-mongering and over-analysis.

Actually that plus rumor spreading is what happens when too little info is released, I've seen that many times. The balance between talking too much and not talking at all, causing rampant speculations is a thin line, and I'm not convinced they got that right. But again maybe this just means complying with the Game Informer exclusive embargo, and then things might be different.

And I'm also not so sure about the release date too ;)

Yeah, and they could cross out the word "Oblivion" on the boxes with a pen and scribble "Fallout 3" and Bethsoft fans would coo about the best game ever made. I predict IGN would give it 10.99/10.

There are fools on both sides of the fence. What I don't understand is why people who apparently hate NMA just have to keep talking about them over and over and over.

oh, so it's wrong for people to talk about NMA but it's quite okay for NMA to over and over and over talk about how Fallout 3 is going to "suck", which started the day Bethesda announced they had the rights to it. That is for me more tiresome, but I guess this isn't about subjectiveness.

I think people only want to have NMA to treat Bethesda and others reasonably without being prejudiced and biased about every little detail that might be "against the soule of Fallout".

And by the way. How can people not talk about NMA and other "hardcore" Fallout fans, when it is NMA and others that have released a number of articles revolving around the importance and dedication of Fallout fans. They've positioned themselves in a situation that might channel negative feelings towards them.

Back
Top Bottom