The Elder Scrolls - Rumor: V is a Direct Sequal

Kinect has voice recognition, too, so your spells could have verbal and somatic components! (Next thing you know, they will be requiring a rotten egg in order to cast a stinking cloud spell. ;))

I hope the game's setting is not restricted to Cyrodiil. It would be nice to explore more of the continent. More importantly, I hope everything in the game doesn't level with the player character.

I'm too in love with open world freeform cRPGs to not be interested in this, regardless of their past history.

Oblivion had a lot of potential, and I don't think it's all that unlikely that they'll improve upon it enough to make a strong game. If not, we'll have the modding scene ;)

If they learned from FO3, TES V might just become a great game.

They learned from Oblivion with FO3, so that's not that unlikely.

You can't really be sure, though.

With Fallout 3, they had to stay faithful - to a certain extent - to the systems and the world of Fallout.

Since they're the creators of the TES world and systems, there's no way to know what they plan to use from Fallout 3, if anything.

I certainly suspect they will continue using their dreadfully dull "skill-based" system - and as for the NPC/writing/animation issues - who's to say.

But I don't see how they can go in the other direction, and make it even more bland. I expect it to be a big visual improvement, with possibly some additional steps forward - hopefully for the RPG mechanics and writing.

One thing that I really don't like about Bethesda's writing, is that there are way too many "wacky" or downright insane characters for the world they're trying to create. At least, that was the case in BOTH Oblivion and Fallout. I think it's ok to come across a rare lunatic - but to have half the people you talk to, be insane or joking wildly - is simply not a good way to enhance my immersion.

I play these games mostly for immersion and exploration.

They learned from Oblivion with FO3, so that's not that unlikely.

FO3 was still dumbed down, and lacked any kind of real challenge out of the box. Only with the right mods does it realize its potential.

They need to look at what Obsidian did with their hardcore mode in FO:NV.

This man speaks the truth! :)

Love your signature btw.

Then why do they suddenly feel the need to use that phrase when they didn't in the past? Why not just say "sequel"?

Of course everyone will have their own opinion of what a direct sequel is, but most don't consider it "direct" when there's no significant connection in storyline and characters.

Your idea of sequel is thinking to much in a sense of books or movies in which indeed stories and characters are continued. Games have never had this strict hang up, because games don't only contain stories or characters but also have gameplay.

The world history and geography of Elder Scrolls games is always connected to the earlier game. You might decide that sharing the same world is not connected enough, but to me I play Elder Scrolls games to see a continuation of the story of Tamriel which to me is a character itself. That already is more of a direct sequel than any Final Fantasy sequel which take place in different universes and settings but is in effect only a stylistic and gameplay sequel.

The only way a sequel is non-direct is if they did a prequel or leaped over ESV and immediately started making ESVI.

And BTW, who are THEY? Direct was used by the Danish writer of the story. So first one could question the wording of the reporter. Second one could question the subtleties of subsequent translations.

A story, which if it popped-up in an elder scrolls fan forum first would be denounced as someone talking shit. Almost every month someone comes into a forum and says they sat next to someone who was a dev/voice actor or related to one and confirms that the game is being made. In that case, two people could be lying, the poster or the supossed dev.

Now some journalist (game journalists obviously never lie) comes around with a similar story (which if true would get someone fired because of NDA's, and I doubt all 100 people working on the game would be flying to Europe so the leak isn't that hard to find) and everyone expects his word to be the same as if it directly came from Bethesda's mouth?

I have no doubt TESV is being made, I wouldn't even have any doubt without this rumor breaking, but any supposed facts gleaned from this hearsay I will take with a bucket of salt.

We'll hopefully know more in the coming months.

I'm betting on the setting and title being Skyrim and set 5-20 years after the events in Oblivion. There will be no Dragon Lord and there might be Blades.

* Title is Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
* Set in Skyrim.
* 5-20 years after events in Oblivion.
* No Dragon Lord.
* There will be Blades (referring to the spy guild, not the objects used to kill).

I'll donate €5,- per wrong prediction to this site.

I could see it being an Akavari invasion type game too. Because of the turmoil of losing two emporers in succession, the long-hidden enemy decides to invade.

Only they know why they call it what they do, but my guess would be they're capitalising on their most successful TES game - and they're letting mainstream gamers who loved Oblivion know that the game is "more Oblivion", without necessarily meaning that literally.

And then there is this from IGN
In an interview with IGN at Quakecon in August, Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard confirmed the developer's new, and still unannounced, title would not be using id Software's Rage engine, id Tech 5. Instead, Bethesda has created an entirely new game engine.

Your idea of sequel is thinking to much in a sense of books or movies in which indeed stories and characters are continued. Games have never had this strict hang up, because games don't only contain stories or characters but also have gameplay.

The world history and geography of Elder Scrolls games is always connected to the earlier game. You might decide that sharing the same world is not connected enough, but to me I play Elder Scrolls games to see a continuation of the story of Tamriel which to me is a character itself. That already is more of a direct sequel than any Final Fantasy sequel which take place in different universes and settings but is in effect only a stylistic and gameplay sequel.

The only way a sequel is non-direct is if they did a prequel or leaped over ESV and immediately started making ESVI.

And BTW, who are THEY? Direct was used by the Danish writer of the story. So first one could question the wording of the reporter. Second one could question the subtleties of subsequent translations.

Well you've done a good job of explaining your opinion. :)

My own opinion is that none of the ES games have ever been "direct" sequels.

Yes, to me "direct" means a continuation of the same story and characters right or nearly when the previous left off.

I think in this case, it was just a poor choice of word.

Back
Top Bottom