General News - GameTrailers has Closed

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
After 13 years, GameTrailers has now been shut down and everybody at GT has been laid off. I'm sure many of you have used GameTrailers in those 13 years and although there are many other outlets to use, they were one of the very first with game videos on the internet.

More information.

The only one time I visited that site in my life was Dead Fantasy 2 which was hosted there. And it's not a trailer for any game.
Maybe I'd peek for more if all I noticed there weren't garbageware trailers and not trailers for PC games. Maybe they changed later, but it was too late (for me).

I won't miss it.

Today is a weird day. Gametrailer close down and David Gaider move to Beamdog to work on BGesque games. Are we back in 2000-2002?

Today is a weird day. Gametrailer close down and David Gaider move to Beamdog to work on BGesque games. Are we back in 2000-2002?

Eh, what? Weird move if true, Dragon Age was his child and he didn't do it for higher $.
Shame for GT, they seemed like a merry bunch.

Gametrailers was great until they changed the overall interface from the old easy to use one. Before you had all the videos in your face simple ease of use one click to any new game video. Then they changed it to a annoying tiny icon based interface and more jumping menus just to fail at seeing your video.

I used to go there a lot, too. They had a lot of great stuff for a long time but the past few years have just been…. dull. When the re-organized and dropped Pachter's show, the only thing to watch was Final Bosman. He's got some good stuff but he's pretty console (particularly Nintendo) centered so I drifted away eventually.

The height for me was probably when they did the Final Fantasy retrospective. That thing was huge, informative, and fun. (Well… OK, also that one early episode where Amanda McKay (sp?) did her news show in a swimsuit.)

Oh well. T'was a fun place for a long time. I've even got some of my favorite trailers saved off on my hard drive.

P.S. The last video posted on the website is a review for Firewatch. Oh the irony!

Back
Top Bottom