Elder Scrolls Online - Dropping Subscriptions

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it's now official after the various rumors in the last few months it seems The Elder Scrolls Online is finally dropping subscriptions. . The new title is called Tamriel Unlimited.

Here is more information and a new video.

Get ready for our console launch on June 9th, and start exploring Tamriel with no game subscription fees on PC/Mac March 17th.

For the first time in history, you’ll be able to explore the legendary world of Tamriel with your friends on console. We’re excited to announce that The Elder Scrolls® Online will be coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One worldwide on June 9, 2015 as The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™! In the latest and biggest Elder Scrolls game ever made, you can choose to adventure alone, quest with friends, or join an army of hundreds in epic player vs. player battles as you explore and discover the secrets of a persistent Tamriel. And with Tamriel Unlimited, coming to console on June 9th and PC/Mac on March 17th, 2015, you will no longer be required to pay a monthly game subscription to play ESO.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited includes all the great gameplay from the original PC/Mac game, plus all the updates and content additions, including the exciting new Justice and Champion systems. If you’ve ever played ESO, you’ll be invited to return to the game and experience everything new in the world without game subscription fees. If you’re new to ESO, you’ll make a one-time purchase of the game and then continue playing without restrictions for as long as you like.

In Tamriel Unlimited, you’ll be able to purchase optional downloadable content, and the new in-game Crown Store will offer convenience and customization items. If you choose, you can pay a single monthly charge for our premium membership, ESO Plus™, to receive monthly in-game benefits and a monthly allotment of crowns to spend in the store. Our team remains committed to providing a great experience to all players, and you can expect continued, regular updates free of charge in addition to our new store offerings.
You can read the full press release for more details from Bethesda.

More information.

How is it F2P when there is a one time fee or buy it once system.

I don't see F2P mentioned anywhere, did you? Well, outside of Couch's description. Basically this is a pay once scheme rather than F2P. This is a pretty fast fail though for Zenimax. Hopefully, they didn't put any Bethesda eggs in their ESO basket.

How is it F2P when there is a one time fee or buy it once system.
Well in a way it will be F2P.

Also I fixed the title before you all commented. Seems you only have to pay once to get access to the full game for life, but have to pay more money for new content.

So further complainers about my F2P label can now be quiet as I changed it.;)

Last edited:
Well in a way it will be F2P.

Also I fixed the title before you all commented. Seems you only have to pay once to get access to the full game for life, but have to pay more money for new content.

So further complainers about my F2P label can now be quiet as I changed it.;)

So it is basically like Guild Wars 2: buy-to-play and a special currency that you can use to purchase cosmetic and convenience items.

So it is basically like Guild Wars 2: buy-to-play and a special currency that you can use to purchase cosmetic and convenience items.
Yes like the original Guild Wars also. I prefer most MMO games to use this model as it saves you money, and allows you to buy what content you want in the future.

I don't bother with MMO's for a number of reasons(single player, strong narrative, and inability to deal with jack asses preferences), so I'm not up on the lingo. What's the difference between "convenience and customization" items?

The latter is self explanatory, while the former sounds like cheats, or pay to win. Either way, a slap in the face to their PC beta testers who had to pay for the privilege... Or not, maybe they all expected it. As I said, I don't play MMO's so I've no idea what players expect.

If I didn't saw those articles about pulling away stuff from Australia shops I'd think they did this because of getting onto Angry Joe's biggest dissapointments in 2014. list.

"Only" on spot #2 (26:35).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLMwocAFrk

pay 2 win is paying to get stronger then other people and convenience items are things to make progress in the game take less time or you need to grind less.

I don't bother with MMO's for a number of reasons(single player, strong narrative, and inability to deal with jack asses preferences), so I'm not up on the lingo. What's the difference between "convenience and customization" items?

The latter is self explanatory, while the former sounds like cheats, or pay to win. Either way, a slap in the face to their PC beta testers who had to pay for the privilege… Or not, maybe they all expected it. As I said, I don't play MMO's so I've no idea what players expect.

Customization are mostly clothes, toys, weapon and armor skins (not the item itself), hair styles, etc.
Convenience are bag and bank slots (for more space), unlimited use tools (pickaxe, logging tool, etc), it can also include boosters which provide small increase in XP gains for a limited time (pointless at max level).
Nothing game breaking.

Well time is the only real currency in a MMO and using time you acquire power. These so called "convenience" items are designed save you time whereby they indirectly give you power. Therefor these "convenience" items are also pay win or pay to get power!

Anyway this is good change for ESO since the game wasn't worth subscription during beta.

The latter is self explanatory, while the former sounds like cheats, or pay to win. Either way, a slap in the face to their PC beta testers who had to pay for the privilege… Or not, maybe they all expected it. As I said, I don't play MMO's so I've no idea what players expect.

Not really. I don't know how it was with TES Online, but usually for MMOs when you preorder you get to play in beta, and/or get an early start. You don't "pay" for beta, you pay for the game, and by doing it via pre-order, you have access to beta as a perk. It's expected and the game dropping subscriptions shouldn't bother them.

Not a fan of this model and I think Elder Scrolling is better for the long term than Elder Shopping, but we all know what publishers and investors think about the long term. They don't.

@ Wolfing

Just a bit of snark on my part. The game has been subscription based since launch. Now that they feel it's ready for console release, it's pay once with micro-transactions. Just seems like a slap in the face to their initial PC supporters.

Then again, what do I know? I'm guessing that they'll give... something to their PC subscribers? Still, a part of me can't help but think that the pay wall acted as a sort of filter for the more troublesome element. Wonder what this change will do to the games community.

Well it is still going to be pay once + microtransactions. Depending on how much this pay once will be it going to determine the amount of this "more troublesome elements".

Well, one can always hope that this goes so badly that they have to cancel all the TES games, I mean after this as well as Skyrim and Oblivion there is not any faith left in this developer.

It's not the same studio that does TESO, it's a new one they built just for it a few years ago.

Also, I don't think Zenamix has the same perception you do of the Bethesda studio after their success with Skyrim…

Still bitter about the success of Skyrim? ;) Bethesda Softworks and Zenimax Online Studios are two seperate entities. Mark Firor, of Mythic Entertainment fame, runs ZOS while Todd Howard runs Bethesda Softworks. Now if you're hoping that Zenimax media goes belly up, then you're hoping for the loss of thousands and thousands of jobs. Nice.

Here are the various dev houses:

Bethesda Game Studios, established in 2001.
ZeniMax Online Studios, founded in 2007.
id Software, acquired in June 2009.[35]
Arkane Studios, acquired in August 2010.
Tango Gameworks, acquired in October 2010.[36]
MachineGames, acquired in November 2010.[37]
Battlecry Studios, founded in October 2012.[38]

Separate studios they might be, but it's all Bethesda and it's subsidiaries.

Since ESO is MMO, it's (probable) fail may impact other MMOs Bethesda wanted to make, but will have no impact on singleplayers that were success.

Back
Top Bottom