Dragon Age: Inquisition - Video Preview

I want people to buy it Joxer.;)

At least they know how to keep people interested, and don't really need their PR department that much. Reading the games forum right now as a lurker is hilarious.

Anyway the trend Joxer is the male to female allowed romances, and it has the board up in flames. I just might skip all the Romance myself this time around.:cool:

Here is one of David Gaider's replies.
I would say it would have been better to do it all at once or not at all, and not announce ANY romances prior to release. Either that or simply not do romances, which gets tempting at times like these. Either way, I'm glad it's finally done, rather than leaving people to set their hearts on characters they haven't met yet only to be disappointed.
Now excuse me as I cry over my poor lost Vivienne.:tears:

Last edited:
I'm just surprised by the low quality of character animation, the Witcher improved that vastly from 1 to 2 with the wicher3 having to date the very best less uncanny character animation I have had the pleasure of seeing, EA has the resources and man
power, so why aren't they on par with the Witcher is something that is beyond me.

Because they probably don't have right people assigned for it. The usual workplace bs with buddies getting best paid job etc without any consequences.

Has anyone seen a video where it looked like the player could possibly lose a fight?

In every video I've watched so far, it seems you'd win the vast majority of battles even if you were doing nothing and just letting the companions fight.

I've seen plenty of footage which indicated that higher difficulty settings would present problems. Especially dragon fights seem to be a potential disaster if the player doesn't do the right thing.

In fact, DA2 on the highest setting is fairly difficult as well, so anyone claiming this is likely to be a simple button masher are either delusional or have only played DA2 on the easier settings.

The main problem with DA2 was never a lack of challenge, it was the silly wave combat design and the re-use of locations all over the place. Oh yes, and the incredibly shit ending. And the ruining of Anders. Okay, so it had quite a few issues, but challenge wasn't one of them.

I am confident they've fixed the re-using issue in DA: I, but I don't know about the waves. So far, I haven't seen extensive use of waves, so hopefully that's gone, but you never know. Waves, and terribly writing like Anders and the ending, is probably the only thing, at this point, which could lower my interest in DA: I.

Well, and the somewhat odd decision to force players to use an online service to re-make their DA2 save games in a DA: I format. That's just bloody stupid.

In fact, DA2 on the highest setting is fairly difficult as well, so anyone claiming this is likely to be a simple button masher are either delusional or have only played DA2 on the easier settings.

Wrong. I played DA 2 on the highest difficulty setting and 70% of the combat was too easy for me. I don't even had to use all skills I had learnt.

Though - I had to reduce the difficulty setting to normal for 2 boss fights.
Overall a pretty bad balancing IMHO.

Wrong. I played DA 2 on the highest difficulty setting and 70% of the combat was too easy for me. I don't even had to use all skills I had learnt.

Though - I had to reduce the difficulty setting to normal for 2 boss fights.
Overall a pretty bad balancing IMHO.

Sure, but that's the case in pretty much every BioWare game. The "trash" monsters are generally very easy. Baldur's Gate is a breeze if you ignore Sarevok, Karoug, Drizzt and Aec'Letec. In fact, even with those fights, the game is still possible to solo, despite being intended for a party of 4-6.

In fact, Throne of Bhaal is probably the only BioWare game where the player will get challenged on something of a regular basis. DA2 is easily as hard, or harder, than anything they've made except ToB.

My biggest problem with DA2 combat was the spawn-popping of enemies from the sky. If they've removed that, I don't much mind the usual Bioware filler combat obsession. I mean, they've never been great at balancing encounters. Way too much filler and awful level scaling mechanics.

I'm sceptical and yet strangely hopeful that this game might be good in terms of exploration - and give me a bit of fun. There's no way it's as bad as DA2. Just no way.

Also, I have to admit I'm really curious what can be done with the Frostbite engine when it comes to sprawling fantasy RPGs. Battlefield 4 is an amazing game when it comes to technical prowess - and I think open world RPGs done right with that tech could be something special.

But it's Bioware, so I can't exactly allow myself to be naive about it.

Yes, the "spawn-popping" is basically what I referred to as waves. That was just silly, and it didn't work at all. Why they opted for such a design is beyond me.

Is it just me or does this pretty much look like DA2 in all regards ?

Although admittedly I haven't paid attention to the spawn popping if that's gone it's a definite plus.

DA:I is as much not like DA:2 as Risen 3 is not a pirate game anymore :)

Marketing tricks everywhere...

DA: I uses a completely different engine though. Anything they've chosen to include from DA2 has been manually built from scratch, so it must be a conscious choice to include it. Considering how well received DAO was compared to DA2, it would surprise me if DAO wasn't the main source of inspiration.

This is not the same at all as Risen 3 using Risen 2 assets, which makes perfect sense, as the engine and assets are all the same. The new stuff has all been added on top of the existing stuff from Risen 2, so re-using muskets and pirate clothing and ships and what not is all reasonable.

Edit: A lot of it is obviously still just marketing tricks. It's really not easy to know what's what until we actually get our hands on the game. I simply don't trust PR people in the least at this point.

The UI looks very sci fi and out of place for a fantasy game. Its more suited to Mass effect than DA.

My interest in the game has gone down a bit recently but its still day one purchase for me.

I'm not really seeing DA2 when I watch the videos either. I'm seeing something new with a similar vibe, perhaps.

It looks like you have more direct control - with jumping and somewhat freeform movement.

Then again, I've only watched a couple of fools playing the game here. I can't say I find that to be a reliable indicator when it comes to how it'll play for me.

It does look quite "actiony" but that's not a problem for me, and it doesn't exclude some tactical elements if you're so inclined. I seem to recall some footage of them "zooming out" to tactical view in another video, but I didn't really pay much attention.

I don't see the reason to be overly negative, though I sympathise with the scepticism.

Well in all regards is maybe not fair, but I'm feeling alot more DA2 in this movie than DA:O.
Of course I'm extremely biased concerning Bioware and dragon age too and it's just a short look on the whole thing.

So you all watched a video by a guy who liked DA2 and played it like its DA2 and came to the conclusion that it's DA2.

I guess that's to be expected but why don't we wait until we see a video of someone playing with the camera all the way out, 4 characters and pausing and issuing commands and then see what we think.

DAO could be played exactly like he's playing in the video just zoom the camera all the way in, don't pause to control your companions and it will look like that video.

Having DA2 combat fresh in my mind from currently playing it for a save ( which I just learned is useless) I can say the combat animations in this video are indeed slower and there's much less jumping around. Also I didn't see any parachuting enemies.

You all may be right and it may be more DA2 than DAO but I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion by just watching this video.

If I can scout ahead with my thief, set up ambushes, tactically controller my party and there are no parachuting enemies all be happy with the combat.

I disliked DA2 as much as anyone but I won't condemn the game because of it. They also made DAO which I loved and played 3 times but I won't praise the game because of that.

I'll wait and judge the game on its own merits.

Back
Top Bottom