Drakensang - Review @ GameZone

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A new review for Drakensang is online at GameZone. The reviewer seems keen to point out he likes online RPGs but still awards 8/10 in the end:
Now this is a pretty big game; I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the twists the storyline does take. For all its cliches the game manages to get some things by you that you simply won't see coming. This is why the game is worth picking up. Many of you RPG purists will spot lots of things that look and seem familiar, but at the end of the day, the game will sate your appetite for all things swords and sorcery. If there is one thing that may be viewed as a problem, it is that you can become embroiled in other side quests, some of which are long and tough, losing sight of the game's overall objective. I thought this was a players' prerogative type of thing, but there are some gamers who want to be led around by their nose while adventuring only to stray from the path temporarily. Not here, you can really get off the path to he point where it may be hours and hours (possibly days, depending on how much you play) before you get your ship steered in the right direction. Again, player preference, but still needs to be noted.
More information.

I am a bit surprised at the quality of some reviews on gaming sites. This reads more like someone's personal blog than anything professional. The review contained more opinion than information (all it says about compat is that it's turn-based), it wasn't funny depite trying to be it, and the screenshots weren't from the actual game.

Last edited:
Maybe because they weren't payed ?

I am a bit surprised at the quality of some reviews on gaming sites.

Why? Anyone can start a gaming site, at any age, level of professional training or clarity of journalistic vision. The fact that the larger ones have professional staff and a number of the more independent-minded ones have good quality control doesn't mean there's not a lot of riff-raff.

(oh yeah, double negative)

Yeah, I hate when game reviewers use the review as some lame podium to how unfunny they are. They also seem to always have to throw in other games as comparisons, or just to throw them in. Like in this one the guy simply must tell us that Fallout 3 is "teh best single player rpg cuz I picked up a million tin cans and sold dem!" and then goes on to say how unoriginal Drakensang is. At least with Drakensang, I've played more then 5 hours without seeing everything there is to see...

They also seem to always have to throw in other games as comparisons, or just to throw them in.

This is my complaint about Blizzards D" since several years now.

EVERY C-RPG gets measured against that in German Magazines, probably becauzse D" has become kind of an "industdy standard", I guess.

"This is like it ..." "... This is unlike it ..." "This is has nothing to do with it ..." And so on.

"This is like it ..." "... This is unlike it ..." "This is has nothing to do with it ..." And so on.
:biggrin: Well the problem is also if you use obscure references that only few people played you don't target the same reader base. But well compare Drakensang to Diablo is going a bit too far!

Back
Top Bottom