Alpha Protocol - Review @ Gear Diary

I think they made some huge mistakes, like the ridiculous boss fights in a semi-realistic setting and the emphasis on RPG mechanics in a game that's set up much like a common stealth shooter. It would have worked if they'd implemented those mechanics seamlessly, but the result was a very clunky and unnatural feel that gave you neither a good shooter experience nor a good stealh/RPG experience.

The same complaints could be made for pretty much every hybrid RPG/shooter/stealth game ever made, including classics like Deus Ex and System Shock 2. None of the games have superb implementation of combat or stealth but again, the games shined when you judged them as a whole.

I do agree that forcing the player into boss fights was stupid and having every conversation be timed was equally contrived. But to me, the excellent implementation of morally-ambiguous choice and consequence far outweighed the game's weaknesses.

I'll give this one another shot after I'm done with New Vegas. I'm feeling a lot of love for Obsidian right now :)

My first time through I hated the combat. Hated everything about it, but maybe I just didn't give it a shot.

It's going to suck if I finish this game and it turns out to be great. No sequels.

I see you're really enjoying F:NV and I honestly don't see how the combat in that is any better than AP. Neither of them is a good FPS but AP isn't way behind the curve of other hybrids like FO3/NV or even Bloodlines.

AP really shines in the different permutations. When you replay it and realise characters you thought you completely exhausted have agendas you didn't even begin to sense, you realise just how complex the script is. I would accept that doesn't help the minute-to-minute gameplay if you hate it but I found it easily as rewarding as FO3 or the equivalant.

AP really shines in the different permutations. When you replay it and realise characters you thought you completely exhausted have agendas you didn't even begin to sense, you realise just how complex the script is.

Yeah. Choose a completely different character and the plot looks all different by the end.

The various subparts also play differently. I had a lot of trouble with a few parts on my second time through that had been easy the first time. And vice-versa.

Back
Top Bottom