Antharion - Update #7 - AI Video

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the latest update for Antharion the AI in the game is made visible by means of a video.
Hey guys! Antharion is all about immersion and creating a beautifully unique and alive fantasy world for you to explore. In order to make this world feel more convincing, we've spent countless hours trying to make its inhabitants feel more intelligent. In Antharion each NPC will have its own unique temperament, personality and combat strategy. We want the creatures of Anthartion to react to your actions in tangible ways so as to make everything you do feel more meaningful and important. In this video we demonstrate just a few of Antharion's working AI features...
[Note: In the video you'll notice NPCs moving sometimes quickly without the player having moved. This is merely for the sake of demonstration and is achieved by holding down space bar which has the effect of passing on the player's turn]
More information.

I'll add a Q and A from the comments:

I asked:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Nice work on the NPC behavior. I always hate it when NPC are oblivious to stealing, and I wouldn't have expected it to be handled so well in this game.
A question though: Is this behavior generic (e.g. the NPC will try to find any guard in the vicinity) or scripted for each specific situation?

The answer was:
Orphic said:
There's no scripting going on, aside from the guards' dialog when he catches up to you. The behavior is generic, though it depends on the individual NPC's temperament. For example: an aggressive NPC who loves fighting won't even bother going for the guard, he'll just attack, a timid NPC may just run away, etc. Sometimes the NPC may yell and alert other NPCs who themselves will run in search of a guard. And once a guard is alerted he'll call out to other guards in the vicinity. We find this system works quite well in terms of producing interesting and emergent behavior.

Back
Top Bottom