Dark Souls - 8 Million Copies Sold

Given how well DS1 sold for the PC, I'm surprised they didn't put more effort into making a decent port for DS2. It wasn't as bad as DS1, but they clearly did not put much effort into it. They didn't even bother changing all of the references to gamepad buttons.

I tried to play the first one on PC, but it was unplayable without a controller. Does anybody know if the second one can be played using keyboard and mouse?

I've played every single Souls game (and Bloodborne), beating them all at least three times. So yeah, I'd say I'm a fan. Ironically, I don't play them for the combat. I play them for the awesome wonder of exploring amazing worlds. So yes, I'm excited for Dark Souls 3…despite my harping on Dark Souls 2.

But it isn't just Souls games I like. I encourage everyone to love games that give us amazing worlds. Hence, I'm a huge fan of Skyrim, DA:I, Souls games, Risen games, and old-school games like Wasteland 2/Pillars of Eternity. I don't think joxer will be able to process that list…

I tried to play the first one on PC, but it was unplayable without a controller. Does anybody know if the second one can be played using keyboard and mouse?
The controls are better but not good. I'd advise a controller. Souls games just aren't meant for KB/M, IMO.

These games have to be a case of monkey see monkey sheeple. People just go where the buzz is so they feel cool, because these games are awful. I find it hard to believe anyone who is a civilized adult likes an empty hack fest which is a glorified 3d version of Clicker Heroes.

I didn't get very far in either because they both were awful, not difficult. But I'm sure since most people found the combat in BG and the IE games (and NWN, etc) tactical and strategic I can see why they would think this game was difficult. People are monkey savages and most of them have the IQs of gnats. But so I fit in with everyone I will say I love Darksoul! Facebook! Twitter! Stream! Meme! Robin Hood pants! Yay! Super cute! Lol! Bro! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I played and beat both 1&2 with M&K, so it's fully possible. It did however take me quite some time to get it to work properly. The main problem is the double click attack they implement causes lag. The game needs to wait to see if your double clicking or not.

Some people solved this by simply mapping the attack to keys. I didn't like not being able to do the attack with my mouse so I programmed it to a key then use my mouse software to change my mouse 4 button to the key. It took gaming keyboard software and mouse software and about a day of trial and error since I needed to exit the game to switch everything.

The final result was a very playable game. I was better with M&K than I am with controller but it's a lot of hoops to jump through.

I thought back at the time a made a post with exactly what I did but I don't remember where it is now.

So you could do something like I did or just play with a controller if your comfortable with them. I'm not.

Now that I think about it I believe you had to map all attacks to keys and then assign key to mouse clicks to avoid double click lag. Anyway it's a fiasco but it your persistent and patient you can do it. The good thing is once you do it it does play quite well. IMO.

...just play with a controller if you're comfortable with them. I'm not.

Learning to use a controller is part of the fun. :)

Trying to navigate a difficult section might be a challenge, sure. But trying to navigate that same section when you're not even confident that you can even walk in a straight line... That's the real Dark Souls experience!

It's generally cheaper to be a PC gamer in the long run, considering distribution platforms have regular and competitive sales. I wonder if this accounts for the high sales.

I think when I got DS2 I had to spend over an hour both remapping keys, and figuring out what key actually did what, since all the instructions were in controller symbols. It was a serious pain, but the good news is that once I was done I had something close to a working mouse and keyboard setup. It wasn't perfect, and I had to keep tweaking it as I played. But it did the job. I'll always be grumpy at the developers for doing such a half-assed port, especially after promising they learned their lesson the first time. But it didn't stop me from enjoying the game.

With all this talk of a wonderful world to explore, which I must have completely missed repeatedly, I'm contemplating giving this another shot.

Did they ever release a proper fix for all the issues with the PC version?

With all this talk of a wonderful world to explore, which I must have completely missed repeatedly, I'm contemplating giving this another shot.

Did they ever release a proper fix for all the issues with the PC version?

You have a PS4 right? Its on sale right now on the PSN store. The full game with all the addons. This way no need to worry about PC bugs etc and you can play with PS4 controller the way its meant to be played :)

Also the graphics looks very similar on PS4 and PC based on comparison video I saw.

You have a PS4 right? Its on sale right now on the PSN store. The full game with all the addons. This way no need to worry about PC bugs etc and you can play with PS4 controller the way its meant to be played :)

Also the graphics looks very similar on PS4 and PC based on comparison video I saw.

It's on sale? Hmm, I have it on PS3 as well - but I'd like to play with all the bells and whistles. IIRC, the PC fix/mod made it possible to upscale resolution, which made it look very nice. But I'd rather not have to mess around too much with ini files for a game that I'm not too enthusiastic about.

It's just that it's hard for me to understand the massive praise this game gets for exploration, and since I love that part of games - I feel like I must try once again to be absolutely sure it's not my kind of exploration.

Thanks for the information, I'll consider it ;)

It's on sale? Hmm, I have it on PS3 as well - but I'd like to play with all the bells and whistles. IIRC, the PC fix/mod made it possible to upscale resolution, which made it look very nice. But I'd rather not have to mess around too much with ini files for a game that I'm not too enthusiastic about.

It's just that it's hard for me to understand the massive praise this game gets for exploration, and since I love that part of games - I feel like I must try once again to be absolutely sure it's not my kind of exploration.

Thanks for the information, I'll consider it ;)

Its £25 on the PSN store and hard copy sells for £35 here. I guess this sale is EU wide.

https://psprices.com/region-gb/game/95604/dark-soulstm-ii-scholar-of-the-first-sin

Are you guys talking about the same game? :)

I got the impression that Dart was referring to the PC version of DS1.

Are you guys talking about the same game? :)

I got the impression that Dart was referring to the PC version of DS1.

Ah lol! I thought we are talking about DS2 :)

In my dense, he replied just after a post which talked about DS2 ;)

What PC bugs?

I played DS1 for 240 hours and DS2 for 100 and never ran in to a single bug. The games were amazingly rock solid. The only issue I had was K&M support. If dart has a controller there is no point in wasting money again to buy console version.

Also with durantes mod you can play the game @ 60 fps on PC and if you want you can down sample from 4k which does improve the graphics a bit IMO.

I'm not sure what you mean about playing it the way it's meant to be played? It's the same exact game on PC. I would highly recommend playing DS1 with DLC first as I found it to be superior to DS2 in about every way but of course that's all subjective and I'm sure you can find people that will say the exact opposite.

It runs beautifully on PC, with the mods, I haven't encountered a single bug, and yes some of the places are fantastic and super exciting to explore. I think you gave up too early DArt as I was also very sceptical when I started to play it… but it grows on you.. at least I think it would.

That makes it even more ridiculess that they didn't make a proper PC port, according to Durante it took him 1 hour to make the initial mod, which makes it go from terrible to a pretty solid port which much better graphics than the console version.

They should hire him on consultant basis :D just to fix the game, even if they had to pay $10,000 per hour it'd be a very good investment!

Yup, I was talking about the first game :)

Also this isn't exploration like skyrim. Where you wander find a note and embark on a cool quest half way across the map in a deep dungeon.

This is exploration to examine every nook and cranny to uncover the secrets of the game. Which is rewarded mainly by finding items ( pretty much rings, some of which are game changing), npc's quest ( which are very vague, I never completed a single one in my 240 hours) and areas with amazing atmosphere (IMO).

Also Dart don't forget the game is still mainly about combat, if you don't really enjoy the combat ( which is as good as action combat gets, again my opinion) then I can't see how you'd be able to finish the game.

Back
Top Bottom