A lack of boxed versions rant

Smorri

Watchdog
I don't want to argue boxed versions vs downloaded versions, there are already threads covering that. Personally I like owning boxed versions and having the actual game on my shelf. However, more and more often games I care about are not getting released in a boxed form. So far I have held off buying DL versions by hunting down boxed imports when possible. But more and more I'm running into games that have no English language boxed version at all, only the down loadable version. I haven't bought Eschalon because there is no longer a boxed version (I have to wait for a possible collector's trilogy version and if I have to buy the trilogy, why buy 1 and 2 now just to buythem again later).

Some sites allow you to download the actual game so I could burn them onto a CD/DVD. (Here comes my rant/suggestion) It would take some of the sting of being forced to buy down loadable versions if either in the down loaded app file or on an official website, there was a down loadable/printable DVD case cover. Sure, most people wouldn't care, but some would and I believe it would be worthwhile to gather some more sales with such a minor effort.

I posted a long time ago in the Eschalon forum asking if they would post the cover file for download and I got no response. They have a cover because they sold a DVD case version for a while and they've stated they have no plans of printing up more. So it would cost virtually nothing to post the file… so why not?

I just think that if there is no boxed version of a game, there is some upside and no downside to providing/posting DVD cover artwork.

Ok. I feel a little better now that I got that out :)

I prefer to either have the box/cd/dvd, or a solution similar to what gog.com has: You buy it, you own it. You can download it anywhere and play it without any DRM. You can also download it on several computers etc. No online verification or anything.

It's a matter of reducing costs. I mean, boxes mean a little money = losses. They are calculating around every penny hey can get (I can understand it for small companies, but not for bigger ones, but yes, business is business and business is about nothing but money), that's the way the industry becomes.
I tend to believe tht boxed versions are really dying out - except for consoles, maybe. For some time now.
OnLive could be the future, I fear. Everything's then in ONE hand.

Since good manuals got lost, I no longer care.

Preferably, I'd like to enjoy the rational benefits of digital purchases - which in my mind, would mean cheaper games. That, apparently, hasn't happened.

So, I make do with the convenience of it being faster and without having to actually move my body ;)

I'm not sure, really. I can't say I've noticed many games not get boxed versions unless they're "smaller" titles such as Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers.

I think it'd be good to have a nice mix between the two, i.e. boxed and download. There's no incentive to buy the boxed version now except for the disc itself, and that's usually laden with DRM. I say bring back extras! I want maps, an in-depth manual that doesn't consist of patronising "lol noob lrn 2 use computrz" instructions, perhaps even more.

I don't think there's any incentive to buy the download version either, except for instant gratification. You pay the same price, get the same product (usually), but nothing to compensate for the lack of a disc/physical manual. The odd thing, to me, is that retail often is cheaper and you get more for a smaller price. Perhaps most publishers should offer a scheme to supply you with a barebones copy of the game for a small fee? Y'know, disc(s) in a paper wallet and a manual (with any extra codes, too) for £3-4 plus postage? They'd have to counter it with a price drop on digital copies, perhaps 10% (£27 digital vs £30 retail - Seems fair-ish to me).

Not a marketing expert, but I just don't see digital being superior to retail at the moment. The pricing is rarely competitive, it sometimes is more hassle than its worth (Hello, EA Store!) and you get less for your money.

I always go for boxed games except when I can get a good deal on Steam or GOG. My main reason for this is that I like to have them on the shelf and more importaintly I usually can get them cheaper than the download version.
I agree that boxed copies are not what they used be especially after they switched to DVD cases. For PC games I think we will see less retail releases and hopefully the price will be reduced in time.

I'm old skule; I like boxes. However, Dte tells me I was playing games on the Ark. I just have to remind him that he was too busy trying to bail out his rowboat to have time to play games back then!! :)

I miss the 'feelies', like the cloth maps or the little extras you got in the Ultima games. I've actually been enjoying U6P by taking out my cloth map and the compendium from the original. They'd don't match up perfectly, but it's fun!

I'm old skule; I like boxes. However, Dte tells me I was playing games on the Ark. I just have to remind him that he was too busy trying to bail out his rowboat to have time to play games back then!! :)
The only reason I was rowing is that Noah didn't want to violate the "loading two-by-two" rule. Of course, I've evolved since then...a little. ;)

I too would prefer a nice fat manual, a map and all the other goodies you use to find in boxed versions. But if I have no choice but to buy a down loadable version, can't a link be provided to DVD cover art work so I can print it, make my own case and store the game on a shelf along with my others? There would be next to no costs to game makers and it would make the transition to digital copies a little less painful for people like me.

Yes this is an issue with smaller titles right now ( the thread was triggered by my lust for Konung 3), but I can see this eventually hitting bigger titles... I would hate to only have Gothic 6 as a folder on my hard drive while on my shelf the collection of Gothic games (including variations) ended at Gothic 4 :(

I guess the question is: How much demand for that is out there? It takes time (and hence money) to create something like that. I'm an old school gamer myself, but really, I don't care about the boxes anymore. I used to. Granted part of the reason might be the tiny apartment I live in now compared to the huge ones I used to!

I work in a software company. I know it would take one person less than a workday to put a jpeg together and post it. Most if not all of the art will be preexisting in house. Plenty of companies spend more time than that coming up with wallpapers and icons. So again… why not supply a case cover graphic?

There's little that would cost less that they could do that would promote sales… probably not a lot of sales, but I believe some (me for one).

Are you talking about a jewel case or an actual game box? Because, for the first, you would be correct, but for the latter, not so much. I've done layout and design work before and it takes longer than you would think (if you want it to look good).

For PC games I think we will see less retail releases and hopefully the price will be reduced in time.

Well I think the first part of that statement is true, but the second part is a bit optimistic. ;)

Personally, I'm a collector, so I prefer a boxed version whenever possible.

I missed that comment by Stealth, but I'm curious what people think og PC game prices. I remember payin $35 for most of the Sierra titles I bought, and I'm pretty sure that Ultima IV and V were all at the $49.99 spot that seems to be the standard starting point for the past 20+ years. I do remember though that for Ultima VI, they actually tried to jack it up to $69.99 (at least if you ordered it directly), but that didn't take and VII was back to $49.99.

So basically, the starting price point for games seems to have stayed the same for roughly 20 years, at least in the US. Obviously though costs have risen significantly (but so has potential market size). So for those that are hoping for a price decline, do you really feel that $49.99 starting point is over priced? Have you always felt this way?

I don't know of any other non-regulated product that I use regularly that has seen essentially no inflation in 20+ years.

There have been a few AAA titles that came out at $60 in the past few years, but not many. I think some of those were "trial balloons" like U6. Since we haven't seen a wave in that direction, I'm guessing it didn't pan out all that well. I'd say that's why you're seeing a disc and an 8 page booklet in a DVD package these days instead of boxes with 100 page manuals and other swag. Rather than maintain product and raise the price, they've held the price and dropped the goodies.

I'm not sure that's completely unheard-of. The $4 price point for a carton of ice cream has been pretty consistent since I was a kid, but it used to be a gallon of good stuff and now it's the same loot for a half-gallon of store brand.

So basically, the starting price point for games seems to have stayed the same for roughly 20 years, at least in the US. Obviously though costs have risen significantly (but so has potential market size). So for those that are hoping for a price decline, do you really feel that $49.99 starting point is over priced? Have you always felt this way? .

I remember many games being $49.99 for the NES, and they were almost all at least that price on the Super NES, with some of them being $59.99.

PC games seem to have a larger price range, but the majority of new titles have been $49.99 as long as I can remember.

So... no, I don't think $49.99 is overpriced. Maybe it was in the 1980s, but I don't see how anyone could complain about the same price 20+ years later.

Are you talking about a jewel case or an actual game box? Because, for the first, you would be correct, but for the latter, not so much. I've done layout and design work before and it takes longer than you would think (if you want it to look good).

I had mentioned it in one or two of the earlier posts, I'm just talking about the cover/art work that slips inside the plastic cover of a DVD case. One graphic file easily printable.

Sure an actual box would be preferable, but then outside resources are involved and material costs enter into it, That is obviously not practical.

For as long as I can remember, UK PC game prices have been around £30. Can't speak for 10-15 years ago, but for a fair few years it's £30. Most of the top stores offer new AAA titles (Civ V, MoH 2010, etc) for about £25-30 on pre-order, with expansions being between £15 and £20 (rarely £25+). Once you get to releases from places like 1C Company, Paradox Interactive etc, you find their games generally retailing for about £20 or below, with very few above that. I remember Armored Princess selling in most places for £15 (roughly) retail, with digital being £20-25.

In the UK, though, prices drop really quick on games. You can get C&C4 for £20 with little difficulty. Our leading games store (GAME) has DA:O on PC for £12, Mafia 2 for £25

Exception to the rule is Activision, of course. £35 for their CoD... things and StarCraft 2. Actually, I've seen places offer SC2 for £40 (price of a console game) a few times, now. It's ridiculous! Oh, EA's Sims series is an exception, too.

Back
Top Bottom