Terraria v1.1 Patch is Out

I played this game religiously for about a month or so straight then fell to the wayside a while after the patch before last came out.

If I resume playing with the previous world I created, are the features of patch 1.1 available, or do I need to create a new world?

Really my only complaint with the game is the goblin attack event. That just goes on way too long, or at least it did when I last played. And sometimes thwe freedom is overwhelming. Overall this game is great. It was a steal for only $10 US, so for $2.50 everyone should run out and get it.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Is there anything or anyone in-game that explains the functions of different items, similar to the way the guide shows you what you can craft?

Not really. I think the guide may explain some things if you click 'help', but most of it is either reading about it or finding out on your own.

When in crafting mode it will tell you what items are needed and what you need to use (I believe, can't really recall since I never look at what is needed anymore)

Here's a beginner's guide to crafting. It's a spoiler since it shows you every station in the game, but I believe it's necessary since I'd never have thought to get some of these things.

If I resume playing with the previous world I created, are the features of patch 1.1 available, or do I need to create a new world?

There are some major changes to the biomes and the world so it probably would be a good idea to start a new world, however I do know that you can at least get the new NPCs even in your old world. Other than that I don't really know.

Most of the changes will still happen in your old world. Here is a list of the changes that require a new world:

World Gen
Tweaked the way sand is created during world gen. (Requires new world.)

Oceans are now slightly larger and generation layout has been improved. (Requires new world.)

Chests can now spawn near the surface of the world. They will contain treasure that new players may find useful. (Requires new world.)

Chests and pots now contain loot based on the level they spawn in. (Requires new world.)

Gold chests will now spawn in some parts of the world. (Requires new world.)

Corrupt chasms have less of a chance to spawn on jungles. They also now have a cave connecting most of the chasms. (Requires new world.

Traces of demonite are created during world gen. (Requires new world.

Surface jungles have been enlarged, and will override deserts. (Requires new world.

Last edited:
Played for another 5 or 6 hours last night.. this game is seriously addicting.

I experienced my first blood moon, but I was underground the entire time so I'm not sure if I saw any effects from it.

I like how the underground changes depending which region you're in. I'm in a jungle section now, and the game just got *much* more difficult. Those maneaters are a bitch, and so are the hordes of giant hornets. I found an enchanted boomerang, and that's my primary weapon atm.

Exploration is a blast in this game.

I'm having a hard time getting any new NPCs to appear. According to the wiki, I've satisfied the requirements for a merchant and a nurse, but they're nowhere to be found. Do I need to build a separate room for each NPC?

I played the crap out of this game when it was first released, well until I had put together the best armor and got the best weapons…then I had nothing left to do. Might be time to jump back in and sink in some more time.

@JDR

You need to have a room for them. One with walls, a light source, table, chair and a door. Click on that house icon over on the right when you push 'esc', click on the question mark, and then click on a room in your house. It will tell you what you are missing or if the room is ready to receive guests.

@rossrjensen Terraria now has a 'hardmode'. Once you kill a certain boss the whole world gets much harder with new monsters, biomes and you new ore that will appear after you have done a certain action. Won't say what in case you want to be surprised :)

I'm totally addicted to this now as well. The best $2.50 I've ever spent on a game for sure. I would happily pay a lot more for it. Its funny how this little indie game is actually pulling me away from the mighty Skyrim.

I had quite an adventure yesterday trying to retrieve the gold from my tombstone which was at the bottom of a huge, very deep underground lake. After a few more deaths trying to swim down there and drowning - I ended up tunneling around and under the lake to get to the area, fighting off various critters and skeletons along the way. Then I had to be mindful of creating an air pocket to breathe when finally breaching the lake bottom to get in. I love how the liquids actually behave somewhat realistically.

Luckily during that outing I also finally found the hook part to make a grappling hook - which improves mobility immensely! Also made myself a silver pickaxe which improved digging speed quite a bit.

An amusing bit about the NPCs / housing: I had made a small additional outpost underground for my own use, and soon after the nurse had shown up and claimed the place for herself! Very convenient to have a nurse close by - though I'm not sure what exactly they do yet.

@JDR I have no idea. I keep forgetting to make a depth gauge. Also you are using a large map. I imagine it's very very deep.

@Myrkrel I don't want to spoil it for you so I'll let you find out for yourself what the NPCs do.

Also if you want to respawn at anywhere other than your original spawn point then you need to build a house for yourself complete with walls, light source, door, table and a chair. Then you place a bed in this room. Click on the bed and your spawnpoint will be moved to that new location.

I loved that about the liquids too. Those lakes are a pain sometimes :)

Yeah I've set my bed / spawn point to my underground outpost for now as that is the area I'm exploring most. I might eventually move all my other stuff down and make an underground village.

Indeed the lakes can be a pain but I'm glad they are there - it really adds to the immersion and presents a nice challenge. Plus its a lot of fun digging around to redirect the water in different ways.

I died a long way from my spawn point, and now I can't make it back to my stuff. >:O

I thought playing on "medium core" would be fun, but it's not worth the headache of having to retrieve all your items every time you get killed.

This is starting to sound very interesting. Now I feel dumb not getting it for 2,50,
but I try not to create an even bigger backlog than I already have…

Alas the 1-1,5 hours of gaming I can get these days (if I'm lucky 4-5 in the weekends) must go to Skyrim :-/

I died a long way from my spawn point, and now I can't make it back to my stuff. >:O

I thought playing on "medium core" would be fun, but it's not worth the headache of having to retrieve all your items every time you get killed.
Yeah I doubt I would be able to handle dropping items every time I die - at least on this first playthrough. Maybe once I know the game better I'd try it on mediumcore with another character.

There might be a way to hack your character to change the difficulty setting. Or just start a new guy in the same world - I think you can still use all of the stuff the other character built and found. You would lose any health upgrades you had though.
This is starting to sound very interesting. Now I feel dumb not getting it for 2,50,
but I try not to create an even bigger backlog than I already have…

Alas the 1-1,5 hours of gaming I can get these days (if I'm lucky 4-5 in the weekends) must go to Skyrim :-/
I would say its well worth the normal $10 price if not more. Keep an eye on the Steam sales - they might have it discounted again for the winter sale.

I know how it is with having a big backlog though. At first I thought I was going to just try out Terraria briefly and then go back to Skyrim... I didn't realise what I was getting myself into!

I'll give mediumcore or hardcore a try after I've done everything there is to do, but as it stands mediumcore was too hard for me when first starting out. Now that I've found/made some awesome gear I hardly ever die….but not never. It's sorta a cakewalk now, but if I get complacent I'll get killed. I expect that to change once I decide to fight the last big boss. Everything will go from being a cakewalk to "HOLY CRAP WHAT IS THAT!!!!" :p

I plan on making a very defensible village complete with moats, traps and other diabolic devices. The fact that I can place traps/electrical devices now is great. I haven't tried it completely out yet because I'm still exploring some biomes, but it's getting close to that time. Only have one biome to check out and then it's castle building time. After that it's "kill the big bad guy and see what is going to happen next" time.

For restarting your character well that's easy. Put all your gear in a chest, make a new character, click on the world you built and away you go. You'll have all the gear, but none of the health/mana increases.

EDIT: How many times have you guys been killed by a trap? I hate those dang bolder traps. Scared the hell out of me the first time one dropped on my head.

For restarting your character well that's easy. Put all your gear in a chest, make a new character, click on the world you built and away you go. You'll have all the gear, but none of the health/mana increases.

Except that doesn't help if you've already lost all your gear in a remote spot. I think I'm just gonna do a complate restart with a new world and new character on softcore.

EDIT: How many times have you guys been killed by a trap? I hate those dang bolder traps. Scared the hell out of me the first time one dropped on my head.

Where do you encounter traps? I don't think I've ever seen one.

The only trap I've found was a dart trap that was just randomly placed in a cavern. It didn't do very much damage, but I dismantled it and its trigger to use later in my own builds.

The traps are placed randomly just like Myrkerel said. They're not that easy to spot especially if you don't have that much light. The darts aren't too bad, but the boulder will kill you in one hit if you're not careful.

I restarted a few hours ago with a medium size world.

One thing I noticed immediately is how much easier it is to find ore deposits. I think the amount of ore is the same regardless of world size, and is simply spread further apart in a large world. I mined about 150 Iron and silver, and close to 100 gold in the first hour.

Also found a couple of those dart traps already. I realize now that I had been hit by them before, but I just didn't know what they were. So I've got two pressure plates and two dart traps now. I just need to figure out what I can do with them. :plotting:

Is there any advantage to using stone bricks instead of wood blocks for dwellings, or is the difference purely cosmetic?

Purely cosmetic as far as I know. It would be cool if the goblin army came with catapults and siege engines so that stone would hold up against a barrage better than wood or dirt. Maybe a resourceful modder could do something like that.

Some of the mods are quite amazing. I'm holding off till I play the whole game and give the modders a chance to upgrade to v1.1. Mods like Cmod add in so many features like laying pipe that will actually move the water around, fountains, hunger and other things. I don't care for the weapons or armor, but everything else looks good.

BTW, I just entered hardmode and OMFG is it hard. I was just killed by a Falcor looking wyvern (you have to be really high up). I thought it was a friendly animal similar to bunnies, but the dang almost killed me. Took him out and then another one showed up.

Not going to spoil it for you further, but don't go to hardmode until much much later in the game. Do everything else first then go.

I restarted a few hours ago with a medium size world.

One thing I noticed immediately is how much easier it is to find ore deposits. I think the amount of ore is the same regardless of world size, and is simply spread further apart in a large world. I mined about 150 Iron and silver, and close to 100 gold in the first hour.
Hmm... that is making me consider switching to a medium world as well. While I love the idea of having a massive world to explore - finding a good quantity of ore has been a challenge.

I imagine getting to the different varieties of content in the game would be quicker in the medium size also.

Back
Top Bottom