HD remake of Planescape: Torment

I'm not "lost in the conversation", buddy. You're the one who doesn't understand the information being presented to you. They've said that the new content being currently developed will be optional. Completely optional. This is not like how Lucas is trying to force people to believe he always intended Greedo to shoot first and was just too inept a filmmaker to pull it off the first time. He didn't make that optional, that's why people are angry about it. Why would you believe they won't make any future content also optional?

Last edited:
Why are you so certain future iterations will have optional content?
For that matter optinal content could just as easily mean side quests you can skip without affecting the main quest.
If this "remake" turns out to be profitable you can be certain more and more classics will get the same treatment and a cycle of re-selling classics will start.
At one point it may well be impossible to run the original verson on modern systems
(still no dx emulators around for example) and if the wrong company gets a hold of the copyrights what is to stop them from forcing their "enchanced" verson of a classic on people?

I don't really see how or why anyone would want to change, or add to the ending of PST, and I think that any attempt to do so would be detrimental to the story as a whole. PST is a much more story driven than other Infinity Engine games, and I think that the ending(s) is very deliberate on the part of the writers, as to their vision for the story and character arc's of the game, so having some other people come in and change or add on to that, just wouldn't seem authentic, if that makes any sense. Then again, this is just hypothetical, as Overhaul Games may have no intention of changing the story at all, and even if they did, it's still just a computer game, so and the original version is still there to play. Still, I'd love to play a version of the game with enhanced graphics, but I have to admit that I'd disappointed if the story were altered, but I'd still play it.

I'm not "lost in the conversation", buddy. You're the one who doesn't understand the information being presented to you. They've said that the new content being currently developed will be optional. Completely optional. This is not like how Lucas is trying to force people to believe he always intended Greedo to shoot first and was just too inept a filmmaker to pull it off the first time. He didn't make that optional, that's why people are angry about it. Why would you believe they won't make any future content also optional?

No you're still lost. Someone posted they'd rather see a bunch of extra endings and extra content put into the game. I said I'd rather not see any of it and if there is new content it should be optional. I was referring to PST at the time not BG EE. End of story. All the dumb comments coming from you and someone else in the thread were taking my post out of context.

I'm not sure how i feel about that. An updated version without the need to fiddle around with mods, that fix varius scripting bugs, actually make the game playable on newer systems, fix directddraw issues and remake the ui for high resolutions would sure be great.
Any and all new content however should only be based on the content already found in the game files or original design documents, like Qwinn's unfinished business mod was. Said new content should also be completely optional. No completely new quests or characters or bullshit like that. That's for modders not official releases.

Last edited:
Cool that they are doing this but I'm in the minority since P:T was my least favorite of the Infinity Engine games. I'd prefer all the others to be remade for Android tablets first. :p

My mind is blown here. Read what's been said again. Beamdog said the new content will be optional. It'll be put in the game, yes. But it'll be optional. You'll be able to not enjoy it all you want! In fact, you'll be able to buy the ancient version from GOG and love your optimized for 640x480 graphics probably for at least a few more years before GOG goes under. And then you'll be able to pirate it again. Or dig out your discs or floppies or whatever you people do. The old game isn't being taken from you luddites. It's just being updated for people who don't still own a CRT. Stop bitching about it.

very nasty comments to fellow members!!

This relates to the other thread that asks if RPGs are too long. Interestingly, I loved PS:T but never finished it, it suffered from the 'too long' syndrome. A story heavy game like this, to me at least, is hard to keep the story in my head for too long (I think I played more than 60 hours before I abandoned it). I would be interested in this to see if maybe I'll finish it the 2nd time around, but if they add more fluff, I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen (they can restore content that was removed, like I remember some story that got cut because it involved prostitutes I think), but no more than that please!

I didn't finish PS:T the first time through either. I don't think the game was too long in terms of pure hours though, it just had a lot of fluff. PS:T's strength was it's story, it's characters, it's dialogues and choices. It's weakness was it's combat system. So of course, the end game has no characters or choices, and is almost all combat. Not surprisingly, it's tedious.

If you could expand on the good of PS:T, without expanding on the bad, then that's great. But if they added a combat filled dungeon that just padded the game length, that would be pretty awful. And of course, whether you can expand the good, and have it still be so good, is another matter entirely.

If they do remake I hope they do full combat overhaul.Combat like in newer(compared to PS:T) D&D game like Temple of elemental evil or NWN 2 would fit in nicely I think.

A full combat overhaul would definitely convince me to play the game for a 3rd time.

Maybe this topic is a good base to make one of those frontpage polls.

There's nothing wrong with the combat mechanics in PS:T. The combat is bland due to lack of variety. There's very little in the way of armor and weapons in PS:T, and the bestiary is very small compared to Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale.

I wouldn't mind seeing more weapons/armors and monsters, but I don't want to see any major changes to the game itself other than the resolution and UI.

Armor didn't even exist in PS:T, so yeah, some more gear variety would have definitely been nice.

There's a small selection of armors, but none that can be used by TNO. Some of the party members can change/upgrade armors.

Even without additions, it could still use a little facelift. If you play the infinity games back-to-back, you'll quickly notice that Planescape has the most sluggish combat by far. It almost lags and stutters in comparison to the smooth combat of IWD2 and BG2.

Back
Top Bottom