Gamebooks, Visual Novels, Adventure Quest Infinite

Bluetooth

Traveler
Hello,
I have been fooling around with gamebooks, specifically, Project Aon a bit lately which is a free set of Game Books, http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home There are a few other things like this, Hanako Games has some visual novels with a bit of an RPG flavor.
I recently came across a newer version of Gamebook put out by Adventure Cow called Adventure Quest Infiniti. They are novels with roleplaying elements built into them. A bit like Choose Your Own Adventure.
I am interested in what else there is new out there that is Gamebook oriented.
http://adventurecow.com/store/stories/630/destinyquest-infinite
I thought Adventure Quest Infinite was kind of interesting. It still needed some polishing to get it right, but had an interesting storyline, a different combat system, and some nicely done graphics.
I like the idea of Gamebooks, I have heard that there are some which are tied into MMORPGs and Strategy Games. Would be interested in hearing about these.

Since you like the Lone Wolf books you may want to check out the Lone Wolf tablet game. It was also recently released on Steam, but it's clearly a game that was designed with tablets in mind. In spite of that and that it very unfortunately includes QTEs, it is worth playing for LW fans because the story was actually written by Joe Dever.

Another good gamebook series is "Way of the Tiger"

Also, you may want to check out Tin Man Games They have quite a few gamebooks available on Google Play and App Store for tablets, and PC versions are available on the humble store. They're a bit pricey so I haven't bought any of their stuff yet myself but perhaps they'll eventually go on sale.

There's even a gamebook for iOS and Android based on the old RPG / Strategy game of the same name; haven't played either yet, but from what I gather the original is very much a gamebook style as well.

The Banner Saga is another RPG which takes a very gamebook like approach to the narrative. Unfortunately I find the combat very underwhelming and Stoic made some questionable design choices in regards to combat and character advancement.

And, although I didn't back it, I'm keeping an eye on "The Diviner", which is a text-based CRPG that was successfully funded on Kickstarter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom