Tablet modification - extra battery life upgrade

D

Deleted User

Hey folks!

Just wanted to share a little mod I am making to my Nvidia Shield tablet.

Since I stream footage at a high bitrate in 1080p/60 fps from my tablet, while playing games at the same time, battery drains quite fast. In one of my previous attempts, I had to cut a video short because the battery drained in like one hour! So, I decided to take things into my own hands and make a slight modification.

Basically, I bought one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The 16,100mah version, which can charge an Iphone 6s about 10 times before having to be recharged, which should add extensively to the battery life of my Shield!

I also bought a pack of velcro, seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Indust...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Industrial strength for extra measure. ;)

So, I get the package tomorrow and plan on velcroing the battery to my tablet. The battery is quite small and lightweight, so it shouldn't make a huge impact, if any, on using the tablet.

I'm going to use the small included cable to attach the battery to the USB port on my tablet, and if everything goes well, I should have tons of new battery life to play games and stream and do all that fun stuff for hours on end.

I decided on velcro because it was honestly the least destructive. Other, more permanent options, include perhaps building a bracket for the battery, or soldering it directly to the tablet (which does seem a bit extreme), and of course, superglue. Velcro is convenient so the battery can be removed at will, so I think it's the best choice to go for.

Hopefully, tomorrow i will make a video showing the tablet off and seeing how it works. The total package with two-day shipping cost less than $60, so I think it's a great investment for those who want to get a little more punch from their tablet batteries.

Just wanted to report that the operation was successful and very easy to do. :)

It works great. There is even enough room to use the tablet both in the vertical and horizontal way with my IPEGA Telescopic Bluetooth controller, so that is excellent. The battery works great and came nearly fully charged, with an ideal, short cable that attaches it to my tablet.

Works great and would highly recommend the mod to anyone who uses the Nvidia Shield or an 8" or bigger tablet.

Note - It doesn't increase battery power by 10x, as originally thought. It would for a phone, but for a tablet, it's more 2x to 3x. It essentially will give you 2 or 3 full, extra charges from one charge of the battery itself.

Back
Top Bottom