What games are you playing now?

the ability to beat a game

RPGs aren't just about beating the game though, are they.

Or maybe they are for some people?

If you only like RPGs with great stories, what has that got to do with 'beating the game'.

The story in Icewind Dale is a highly praised one:

Chris Chan of the New Strait Times said the game was one of the best he'd ever played, giving much of the credit to R. A. Salvatore's writing, which he called "superb".

Black Isle decided to make Icewind Dale a hack-and-slash dungeon romp, without neglecting the strong plots that are associated with their games.

So you think because someone found IWD the best game they've ever played, others shouldn't feel otherwise? You are free to have your own opinion but so are others. Is it your hobby to pick on everything? You seem to voice your opinion as if they are fact and it's getting rather tiresome.

Never said it was. For me as a gamer, turning over every single stone, most of which containing nothing of value, doesn't add to my enjoyment. In the past, I stuck with 1 game till I beat it, so beating it meant moving onto a new story. I've never been a fan of Salvatore's writing. For the people who enjoy it and IWD's story, good for them.

So you think because someone found IWD the best game they've ever played, others shouldn't feel otherwise? You are free to have your own opinion but so are others. Is it your hobby to pick on everything? You seem to voice your opinion as if they are fact and it's getting rather tiresome.

As I said, people are free to dislike the game, but when people use generalised terms like 'trash mobs', 'easy', 'no story', you're damn right I'm going to 'discuss this further'.

Are you suggesting anything I have said has NOT been fact?

If so I'd rather you quoted what is not fact rather than slander me for presenting facts like it's some kind of crime...

You almost write like you haven't played a game that isn't littered with trash mobs.

You almost write like you haven't played a game that isn't littered with trash mobs.

As soon as you describe exactly what separates a 'trash' mob from a regular 'mob' I'll gladly play along with your thread direction. Until then... you're just obfuscating.

She's simply pointing out the facts as you see them are different than the facts as others see them. Everyone has their own tastes. Someone's view doesn't inherently make their opinion on a game true for everyone.

She's simply pointing out the facts as you see them are different than the facts as others see them. Everyone has their own tastes. Someone's view doesn't inherently make their opinion on a game true for everyone.

Nope.

You used generalised statements, you did not say "in my opinion". You were overly dismissive and presenting a false impression of the game generally rather than trying your best to present a fair picture of the game.

Ergo: you were the one stating opinion as fact - and I was refuting your obtuse facts with genuine facts.

I'm sorry that some of you get so stressed when I do start presenting facts...

I can certainly see why you got the reception you did in that other thread.

How about tedious filler that exists only to prolong the time it takes to get through a dungeon, serve no quest purpose and is generally more of an exercise in endurance than straight power/tactics. Want an example? Compare 99% of the Vale of Shadows against the fights content of other IE games.

I'm quite positive I did say in my opinion.

And I didn't dispute that you felt it was the weakest of the IE games.

Your full quote was:

I can understand not enjoying IWD. IMO, IWD is by far the weakest of the IE games. Very combat heavy with lots of trash mob encounters that aren't really difficult or interesting and the story was meh compared to BG and PST for me.

This part is no longer opinion as the game as barely any 'trash' mobs. The game has maybe 2% trash mobs.

That's a fact you see.

your second post self-refuted the fact that you had misremembered the difficulty so I feel justified in pointing out that your blank statement isn't really such a 'whole story'.

My second post pointed out how I wouldn't be able to recall all instances of trash mobs as it's been awhile since I played. The only example I mentioned recalling being difficult was the Giant boss fight. At no point did I ever say trash mobs don't represent most of the fights to the best of my memory. Seeing as how Kostas is currently playing the game and we are of similar opinions about trash mobs taking up a majority of the game, I'm fairly confident you merely have a different opinion, one you seem rather insistent on forcing down our throats as gospel.

How about tedious filler that exists only to prolong the time it takes to get through a dungeon, serve no quest purpose and is generally more of an exercise in endurance than straight power/tactics. Want an example? Compare 99% of the Vale of Shadows against the fights in other IE games.

And this is where you are so completely wrong.

Icewind Dale is designed as a tactical hack and slash - ergo: a large proportion of your exp is going to be coming from monster encounters. But none of those monsters are excessive and they are not there to 'prolong the time' and they are not there for 'no purpose'.

Every monster (bar about 2%) is exactly where you'd expect to find that monster in about the right quantity for the setting. Monsters are not randomly placed, in the main (98%), and are specifically designed in a specific and intended way as to present the player with a variety of challenges.

You do not just hose down Skeleton warriors one after the other. As I said in a previous post, the Vale of shadows is one of the richest areas in gaming for varied and interesting challenges. I could list them all if you like?

As I said, people are free to dislike the game, but when people use generalised terms like 'trash mobs', 'easy', 'no story', you're damn right I'm going to 'discuss this further'.

Why do you need to discuss this further?? People can have different opinions. Just accept it and move on.

the fights content of other IE games.

You mean like passing from one part of the city to another and having a 'random encounter' with a bunch of pointless bandits?

Over and over again...

Yup, you've really thought this one through...

Icewind Dale is designed as a tactical hack and slash

Maybe we should leave it there?

I got no problem with accepting that a genre may just not be for me but I don't see why the mere idea of IWD's dungeon fodder being trash mobs seems to insult your ego.

- ergo: a large proportion of your exp is going to be coming from monster encounters. But none of those monsters are excessive and they are not there to 'prolong the time' and they are not there for 'no purpose'.
Every monster (bar about 2%) is exactly where you'd expect to find that monster in about the right quantity for the setting. Monsters are not randomly placed, in the main (98%), and are specifically designed in a specific and intended way as to present the player with a variety of challenges.
Yeah I got it, the mobs are there for you to get XP and be challenged in combat situations. Heck they are even justified by the map theme (so were DAO's Deep Roads darkspawn). They still are just as much trash mobs as those featured in Diablo and the like.

I could list them all if you like?
I think we'd all rather you spare us.

You mean like passing from one part of the city to another and having a 'random encounter' with a bunch of pointless bandits?
I take it you're completely incapable of comprehending the difference in scale? 20 sec fights-nuisances in BG in between actual questing vs pretty much the 90% of IWD.

Maybe we should leave it there?

I got no problem with accepting that a genre may just not be for me but I don't see why the mere idea of IWD's dungeon fodder being trash mobs seems to insult your ego.

Leave what where? Finish with a lie?

My ego has nothing to do with it. Your inability to even understand the simple and basic concept of a tactical RPGing is astounding.

Yeah I got it, the mobs are there for you to get XP and be challenged in combat situations. Heck they are even justified by the map theme (so were DAO's Deep Roads darkspawn). They still are just as much trash mobs as those featured in Diablo and the like.

No mate, you don't get it at all, not in the slightest. Diablo is not about tactics. Diablo is not about utilising the party mechanics. The deep roads Darkspawn was just wave after wave of exactly the same event, over and over. You do not experience any monsters over and over in Icewind Dale to that kind of extent. You're painting a completely false picture, both of Icewind Dale and DA:O. You're taking a nano-event and wiping the entire game with it.

I think we'd all rather you spare us.

Yes, please, spare you the... facts.

I take it you're completely incapable of comprehending the difference in scale? 20 sec fights-nuisances in BG in between actual questing vs pretty much the 90% of IWD.

You're now showing your hypocrisy to the maximum, saying one game can't be judged by a minority of game-play where as another can be... makes no sense.

My point was, BG2 has 'trash' mobs. BG2 has sections which are just relentless hacks. Pretty much all RPGs do.

All Icewind Dale does is increase the mobs via tactical immersion where as BG2 slightly reduces the mobs by replacing the exp with endless mind-numbing "don't give a crap, I don't even like this companion I didn't choose anyway" quests.

The actual statistics of monsters between the two is actually extremely small, but the bias one way or the other seems to be enough to polarise people.

I honestly find all that 'companion' questing to be 'trash filler questing'... but, yeah, each to their own I guess...

Why did I fall for this?

Back
Top Bottom