Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Review @ 2404

Dhruin

SasqWatch
2404.org has a review of Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy; here's the intro, which outlines their view:
The first and last thing you can say about this game is that it’s got itself figured out. There aren't any weird gameplay experiments, cryptic bugs, inexplicable features, or absurd plot twists. It's a hex-based fantasy-themed turn-based strategy (TBS) game, and it's perfectly fine with that. That might sound too typical or even boring, but to be honest it's rare to find a game as sure of itself as this one. Most games don't quite know where they are or what their ultimate purpose is supposed to be, but Elven Legacy suffers from no such problems. It's been developed to give you a solid fantasy TBS experience, and that's exactly what it does.
More information.

See, now this is what I consider a good review. It focuses on what the game is, and not on what it's not. It didn't 'lower the score' if it doesn't have an online/multiplayer mode, because it's a single player game. It doesn't lower the score if it's turn-based, because that's what it *is*, or because of bad voice-acting or translation. It's a turn based strategy game, focus on the important aspects of that sub-genre, i.e. units, tactics, etc.

Can anyone who's played this through give an idea of how long it is? Is it replayable very much? Would it be a better game experience to buy both this and Fantasy Wars or is there enough here on it's own?

Can anyone who's played this through give an idea of how long it is? Is it replayable very much? Would it be a better game experience to buy both this and Fantasy Wars or is there enough here on it's own?

Ok I finally gave in and opened the box (guess that means another delay for NWN2:MotB). In the first sitting I finished the first two missions (gold) and failed at the optional mission I gained. I played Fantasy Wars and both are really very similar from what I remember. FW had several campaigns, while EL seems to have only one right now. From mission 1 to 2 I had a choice of where to go next, so maybe you could replay it and choose what you didn't choose before. But I believe its replayability comes from the map editor that I think was included or at least available online so you may download user-created content later on.
If you like turn-based strategy, this is as good a game as any. It's so similar to FW that it could have easily been just an expansion.

I have no idea how long it is because of the completely scattered way I've played it (need to write the darn review now ...), but i is pretty long, but no as long as King's Bounty.

I haven't played Fantasy Wars - bought it on the sale, but not played.

Back
Top Bottom