PC Game - Readers' Top 100

Eve Online #3, World of Warcraft #10. Yeah, definitely not a random sample of all gamedom... thank goodness.

It sure is getting hard to even think about these lists, though. How many of the people responding had even heard of Dues Ex? It's not easy for me to remember it well enough to compare to Fallout 3, how is a 16-year-old supposed to do that?

It seems that most people didn't even know they made games before 2000.
Mind you, almost all the games on the list are at least solid, so it's not as bad as others but geez..

lol. Very few classic games on that list. And to make matters worse, even popular and successful games didn't make the list, or made it but got beat out by games that the vast majority of gamers have never even heard of. And Everquest didn't make the list? Hello? Everquest created the Online gaming genre as we know it today. Love it or hate it, I think that beats Wurms which is an online game I had to look up with Google just now :O

What's their readership called? Eclectic?

I stopped reading after the top 20 entries. Decided I don't care about their readers opinions.

How many of the people responding had even heard of Dues Ex? It's not easy for me to remember it well enough to compare to Fallout 3, how is a 16-year-old supposed to do that?

At #4 overall, Deus Ex placed far higher than it should have. By any measure. It's also a lot more popular on this website right here than it has any right to be. All this tells us is that the most active people on internet game sites are not represtative of the industry as a whole.

Hmmm... just noticed that none of the Total War games made the list either. Nor did any other RTS or wargame. The list is mostly shooters and online games, with a few of the RPGs that were commercially successful thrown in just to give it credibility. I suspect that list is just the personal preferences of the PC Gamer editorial staff, with a cooked poll to back it up. Seems like something PC Gamer would do.

Last edited:
At #4 overall, Deus Ex placed far higher than it should have. By any measure. It's also a lot more popular on this website right here than it has any right to be. All this tells us is that the most active people on internet game sites are not represtative of the industry as a whole.

Wow, I didn't know you're the Supreme Judge about video game's quality!
THANKS CRAIG! THANKS!

Wow, I didn't know you're the Supreme Judge about video game's quality!
THANKS CRAIG! THANKS!

That's not me being the supreme judge. That's me being honest. Something fanboys are incapable of. Or maybe you think you are?

Have you noticed in the last year or so how much the original Deus Ex is being hyped to levels it never achieved when it was a new game? And have you noticed how the industry was silent about Deus Ex between about 2001 and 2009? Seriously, did you ever see anybody comparing a new game with Deus Ex during those years? Did you ever see anyone referring to Deus Ex as a "classic"? Did anyone imitate Deus Ex? Did the people who worked on Deus Ex become industry icons? The one artificially-created industry icon who worked on Deus Ex faded into obscurity shortly thereafter, and the company that developed the game went out of business.

And what happened to change all that? Nothing, except that a new Deus Ex game went into development and needed to be promoted and marketed. Gratz on being part of the problem you love to complain about, fanboys. I can understand how industry insiders allow themselves to be used by game companies, but I can't understand at all how consumers become willing participants in that type of fraud. Are people really that gullible that they'll decide they actually do think a mediocre product was the best thing ever, just because somebody who works in the industry tells them so?

And here I thought this was supposed to be an indie website dedicated to RPGs… I feel like I'm over at PC Lamer's place, with some of the crap being shoveled around here.

Last edited:
That's not me being the supreme judge. That's me being honest. Something fanboys are incapable of. Or maybe you think you are?

Have you noticed in the last year or so how much the original Deus Ex is being hyped to levels it never achieved when it was a new game? And have you noticed how the industry was silent about Deus Ex between about 2001 and 2009? Seriously, did you ever see anybody comparing a new game with Deus Ex during those years? Did you ever see anyone referring to Deus Ex as a "classic"? Did anyone imitate Deus Ex? Did the people who worked on Deus Ex become industry icons? The one artificially-created industry icon who worked on Deus Ex faded into obscurity shortly thereafter, and the company that developed the game went out of business.

And what happened to change all that? Nothing, except that a new Deus Ex game went into development and needed to be promoted and marketed. Gratz on being part of the problem you love to complain about, fanboys. I can understand how industry insiders allow themselves to be used by game companies, but I can't understand at all how consumers become willing participants in that type of fraud. Are people really that gullible that they'll decide they actually do think a mediocre product was the best thing ever, just because somebody who works in the industry tells them so?

And here I thought this was supposed to be an indie website dedicated to RPGs… I feel like I'm over at PC Lamer's place, with some of the crap being shoveled around here.

As someone who still has the box(well, it's flattened for space) I'd say
YEAH, it scored well and was beloved by RPG fans. But, then again, we
were a NICHE MARKET. Now every tom dick and harry who plays Mass
Effect 2 or Fallout, or god damned Borderlands is a RPG gamer and has
to be catered to.

As for the "industry was silent from 2001 to 2009", all I can say is WOW.
That is a nice bit of hyperbole there. I remember STALKER getting compared
to it... what year was that...? And I know I've seen it in lists for top PC
games many times. It, and system shock CREATED
the FPS/RPG genre that's emerging. And Deus Ex did it better than many
of the newbies. Sure "grafix r sux" but you could CHOOSE how to progress.
The upgrades were LIMITED and MATTERED in how you approach the levels.
And it was one of the first to do both cyberpunk and "real world conspiracy
theory" right.

As for it not making tons of cash, well, both Troika and Black Isle fell apart
and between those two were some of the GREATEST RPGs ever created.

BTW, I wonder, why would it SUDDENLY(according to you) be recognized when
no one gave a damn before? Why aren't other old trash games being brought
up on these lists? If you, personally, don't see people talk about a game, does
that mean it's not happening???

I can actually remember the Deus Ex hype pretty well, I remember Troika using Deus Ex pretty much as the design basis for Vampire Bloodlines, I remember.. oh come on Craig, you don't like Deus Ex, we got it.
But if there is anyone being a revisionist here it's you.

Craig, your revisionism is bizarre.

I clearly remember our local PC games magazine calling it the best game ever made back in 2001. It got 98% in their review.

Metacritic describes the reviews as "universal acclaim", and the reviews sure aren't new.

Harvey Smith and Warren Spector won a Game Developer Choice Award in 2002 for "Excellence in Game Design" for Deus Ex.

GameIndustry.biz named it The Best PC Game of All Time in 2007.

PC Gamer's editorial Top 100 has it at #1.

40 Game of the Year Awards.

Gamasutra Quantum Leap in Storytelling awards from 2007.

#21 in IGN's Top 100 of All Time in 2006.

#15 in GameSpy's 25 Most Memorable Games, posted in 2006.

Couldn't be bothered doing more. The reality is that Deus Ex has always been highly regarded - from release, right through to now. You're entitled to have a different opinion on the game itself but to say the game has only been hyped in the last year is emphatically wrong.

Dhruin with the smackdown :) That was pretty impressive. I'm not sure who CraigCWB is, but it's obvious he remembers a different Deus Ex than the majority of the world. Maybe he's confusing it with the terrible sequel, Invisible War? That's the only logical explanation I can come up with. Of course, he could just be some whack-job that believes that everyone should think like he does and equates his opinion with historical fact. I'm going to hope the former is correct.

Ooo, that's a good idea. From now on, everybody on this site must love Bethesda's games as much as I do :D Repeat after me, "The Elder Scrolls series are the best games ever written". Pardon me if I don't hold my breath waiting for this to happen!

Always eager to please, so:

The Elder Scrolls series are the best games ever written

Actually, my all-time favourite is Planescape: Torment followed by the Ultima 7's. But the Elder Scrollses, especially Morrowind are on my top 10 list.

I understand why games like Oblivion and Deus Ex are considered great. I don't enjoy either one of them a whole lot, and I'm generally not very picky regarding RPGs (I enjoy pretty much anything from MM6 through PS:T to ME2), but I still understand why people hold the games in such high regard.

Are you aware of the concept of an "anti-fanboy" or even that of a "game-hater" ?

I understand why games like Oblivion and Deus Ex are considered great. I don't enjoy either one of them a whole lot, and I'm generally not very picky regarding RPGs (I enjoy pretty much anything from MM6 through PS:T to ME2), but I still understand why people hold the games in such high regard.

There is a distinction between what I consider good, and what I like. I consider Arcanum a good game, but I didn't like it that much (I did finish it, though.) Same with Temple of Elemental Evil. On the other hand there are games I consider bad, but which I enjoyed playing, for instance Might and Magic 9.

Same with music, there's a lot of good music that does nothing for me. And books. And art.

Btw, considering how the term "fan-boy" is used, a suitable definition is someone who likes (very much?) a game I don't like.

I am playing Deus Ex 1 and 2 back to back now, and am currently in Cairo at the Tarsus academy. I have to say that Deus Ex 2 is not as terrible as some say, or how I remembered it.

Gameplay wise, Deus Ex 1 is the better game, no questions there. Getting rid of the skill system in Deus Ex 2 was a very bad idea, and the game has so many biomods for you to find that choosing your augmentations becomes almost meaningless. Of course there are also the technical issues, e.g. tiny levels and no swimming.

Other areas show clear improvements. The overall plot of Deus Ex 2 might be weaker than the one of its predecessor, but the dialogue is much, *much* better written. Deus Ex 1 has a lot of cringeworthy lines, even if you ignore the hilariously bad voice acting, which also improved in the second part. Also, given the "big reveal" later in Deus Ex 2, it makes sense that the choice to help the Order or the WTO on a given mission has little consequences. And at least you have different factions to work for throughout the game. In Deus Ex 1, only choices faction wise happen towards the end.

Unified ammo is not a big deal. I did not find myself being challenged by Deus Ex's ammo system, and did not find it being very cool. And as for weapon modifications, I welcome the richer system in the second game.

Of course Deus Ex 1 is the better game. But Invisible War is far from being horrible.

Last edited:
"Here it is: the conclusion of our epic survey to discover the greatest PC games ever committed to floppy disc, silicon, or digital download. Thanks to all who voted. Here are your winners."

Floppy disc games didn't make it :(

Next year facebook's poker will be clear winner .

Floppy disc games didn't make it :(

Next year facebook's poker will be clear winner .
Polls like this always have a bias to newer titles. There are two titles from 1998 in the top 20 (Half-Life, Starcraft), everything else is from the last 10 years.

Regarding Deus Ex, I'm not sure whether you fight over the same thing. The critical acclaim seems to have been outstanding, but I think the game quickly fell into relative obscurity. Now it has been dragged out into the light again.

I would have put some graphic adventures on the list... like a Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle or Gabriel Knight(CD version, w/ the sweet voice overs)

Back
Top Bottom