Road Gangs - New Indie Release

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blackwater Games dropped us a line to point out their new indie RPG, Road Gangs. Here's a snip from the description:

What is Road Gangs about?

Road Gangs is a vehicle based RPG set in a post apocalyptic United States. Your gang must find a number of nuclear scientists hidden in cities all over the country and use them to disable a certain number of nuclear silos before it's too late. Vehicle combat is real time, there are 23 vehicle types in Road Gangs and all vehicles have over a dozen upgrade options available.
How do you play Road Gangs?

There is a whole map of the United States to explore including an entire highway system and over 50 major cities to capture. The roads are very dangerous and your gang will be attacked by rival gangs, during combat you can issue attack orders to your vehicle such as ramming and boarding. The more cities your gang captures along the way the more upgrade points will be available to upgrade your vehicles such as braking and mounted weapons.
More information.

Seems like an interesting mix of Roadwar 2000 & Autoduel, although I'm not sure the real-time combat approach was the best choice. I tried to try it but the demo didn't run on my Vista machine. I left a heads up on their forum which they may or may not approve...

A mix of Roadwar 2000 and Autoduel, you say? That makes me incredibly tingly. They were fantastic games.

Actually it's a lot more Roadwar than Autoduel (demo was fixed so I gave it a try). I had a brief exchange with the developper. He's considering adding at turn-based option and leave it up to the player.

Currently the real-time is quite passive. You give each vehicle general instructions like what enemy to target and what parts to aim for and let it play out by itself. The vehicles tend to move in an unnatural, erratic fashion and battles with more than 3-4 vehicles on each side just take too long.

If Steve implements a turn-based combat system (I suggested elements from JA2 for reference) & puts a little work on terrain (rubble doesn't slow down vehicles for instance) it could become a very good game imho.

Back
Top Bottom