Arkane's next game IS ... not a RPG (again)

txa1265

SasqWatch
I've had the magazine for a couple of weeks, but 1Up has put the article online so I can link to the preview for The Crossing:

In the February 2007 issue of Games for Windows: The Official Magazine, Arkane Studios unveiled The Crossing -- the world's first "cross-play" PC shooter, set in Paris in multiple eras and spanning dimensions.

So what's cross-play? Here's the crib notes version for those who haven't had a chance to read GFW's cover story:

In the simplest sense, story missions are single-player shooting with an exception: Naturally intelligent human opponents take the place of A.I. There are two types of players: Elites and skirmishers. Elites are gamers playing the game in story mode. They're beefed up, heavily armored, and heavily armed. They have to be able to hold their own against a swarm of skirmish players. Skirmishers are gamers who typically play on multiplayer maps: well-trained, rank-and-file soldiers playing primarily to have some quick fun and increase their rank through defeating the occasional Elite. Skirmish players can also invade story maps and "possess" A.I.s ala Agent Smith in The Matrix.

Still confused? Producer Raphaël Colantonio and art director Viktor Antonov explain further.

The game is also now mentioned on their web site ... so I wonder if that is the death-knell for Arx 2?

RPG-love aside, that sounds great! Heck, I'm surprised it has never been done before, since the idea sounds so good! :D

RPG-love aside, that sounds great! Heck, I'm surprised it has never been done before, since the idea sounds so good! :D

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Barring a 'net connection you really just have a single player FPS with AI. What will they be doing to keep the normal AI unique? Also, if anyone has played many multiplayer games they would know that the 'intelligence' of many players is ... uh ... unique. Wonder how that will be dealt with?

Sounds like AvP. Some lucky peeps get to play as Preadators and some poor saps have to play as Marines......

Not sure I would want to play a single player game online though, I'm sure some idiots would figure out a way to grief-kill you or just ruin the general gaming experience.

Have to?!?! I WANT TO because marines in avp2 kick ass! :) Although it demands some teamwork, but if you have a buddy in the same server, you both can dominate predators with ease. That is if they don't begin using lame ass disc, but even then they make easy targets because preds lose their camouflage everytime :)

Won't interest me. I'll wait till I hear about Arx 2 before following anymore Arcane news. For me, this is very disappointing!! :(

I haven't really expected Arx2 since Dark Messiah was revealed. I think I'll still be interested in following them but only in a very general way.

I quite like a good story-based shooter (HL, NOLF...that sort of thing) but I'm not interested in playing a SP story with smart-ass teenagers fragging me, so I won't bother with this one.

I was being polite in my assessment of the people you often find online ... all I know is that my love of the single player experience is constantly being reaffirmed ...

Its good that Arkane keeps making successfull games, even if they are sidetracked from the rpg-genre atm. I belive they will want to build some serious reputation now..When they are ready, arx 2 will see the day. Or atleast thats what i'm hoping for.

Besides dark messiah was a blast to play through. :)

Interestingly but not surprisingly, The Crossing is now targeted at XBOX360 as well as PC, though according to this article the X360 is getting 'the port'.

Alright, wrap your head around this one. Arkane Studios latest FPS, previewed in the latest Games for Windows Magazine, isn't your average first person shooter ... in fact, they're calling it a "crossplayer" FPS. In short, the single- and multi-player elements of the game are merged, so those heretofore mindless enemies -- yup, they're your fellow carbon-based mammals. It's all a little confusing (watch the videos embedded after the break to get a better idea) but the good news is it'll be confusing on both the Windows and Xbox 360 platforms!

Back
Top Bottom