What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Congrats, JDR. You're in a for a real treat.

Yep, and a lot of cursing and gnashing of teeth when he reaches the end of season 2 and realizes that they snipped a great show just as it was beginning to really take off (not to imply that it wasn't great from the start)…

Just like Carnivale :mad:

P.S Hmm, I think there was only one season after all ? Didn't it air in 2002/03 though ?
P.P.S Ah yes I had forgotten of the shows troubled broadcast history… such a shame...

Last edited:
Anyone see the new Muppet movie yet ?
I'm definitively planning to watch it - "The Muppets are cult", as we say here about things and groups which have a long term fan base !

Anyone see the new Muppet movie yet ?
I'm definitively planning to watch it - "The Muppets are cult", as we say here about things and groups which have a long term fan base !

It was cute. Not as good as the original Muppet Movie and it could have used more cameos, but still fun. I ended up liking it more than anticipated.

I saw The Artist at the cinema yesterday. It's really good. Much better than you'd think.

Check it out :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Artist_(film)
The story takes place in Hollywood between 1927 and 1932 and focuses on a declining male film star and a rising actress, as silent cinema grows out of fashion and is replaced by the talkies.

Well I've finished watching all the episodes of Firefly, and I can say without a doubt that it ranks among the best sci-fi series I've seen. I'd even put it up there with BSG and Star Trek TOS/TNG. It's a crime that it wasn't better received during its original run.

Never heard of it. Better than Babylon 5?

I'm not overly familiar with Babylon 5, but I don't think it's very similar to that. All I can say is that anyone who's a fan of sci-fi owes it to themselves to see Firefly. I feel utterly ashamed that I waited so long. :)

Yeah the premise read entirely diferrently than B5. I was just going on engagement level. B5 was a multi-year serial with lots of time to flesh out character depth and motivations, with a few big mysteries that are are resolved in a big payoff in the next to last year. Just wondering if Firefly is storytelling of that scope or just a bunch of short independent episodes.

BTW, if you haven't watched B5, and made the time investment, I think you've missed out on one of THE best science fiction series.

Last edited:
The episodes are independent for the most part, but well connected... if that makes sense. :)

You can get the box set on DVD or Blu Ray for $25-$30. Since there's only one season, the investment is small, but it's well worth it.

Just get it, Thrasher. You can thank us later, just as I thanked some other board members a couple years ago for hounding me.

I watched 'Office Space' the other day. Mike Judge is a pretty talented writer/producer, IMO.

As far as comedies go, that movie is a classic. The scene where they get medieval on the copy machine is hilarious.

Gotta love the "O face" too. :)

Ever play F.E.A.R.? The devs were big fans of Office Space, and there are multiple references throughout the game.

As far as comedies go, that movie is a classic. The scene where they get medieval on the copy machine is hilarious.

Gotta love the "O face" too. :)

Ever play F.E.A.R.? The devs were big fans of Office Space, and there are multiple references throughout the game.[/QUOTE

That movie was was outstanding, IMO. I liked the scene with the 'Bobs.' He has the same name as Michael Bolton, and they're asking him if he's related to the guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1qINaYZ7ao

Last edited:
Just saw "Troll Hunter" last night on Netflix. Really enjoyable film - probably helps if you aren't averse to movies with subtitles. Any no its not about hunting down forum posters; it's about the trolls of folklore.

Sorry for not responding JDR, I actually watched Office Space after I played FEAR, so I didn't catch the references. Gives me another excuse to play through it again, lol.

Regarding Firefly, I have a good friend that keeps raving about that show, and he has pretty good taste in stuff.

Watched Sherlock (2010).
Everybody said this new Sherlock Holmes show with Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely stellar. And they're all correct. ;) It's a modern Holmes, created by that Doctor Who guy. Doyle's material has been updated for our current world. Watson is an Afghanistan veteran who got shot there. Now he's Holmes' flatmate and runs his blog. Mycroft Holmes "basically is the British Government". Moriarty is as young as Holmes, and as evil as always.
This is as good as A Game of Thrones.
Both shows deserve an A.

Back
Top Bottom