Two Worlds

I've got to agree with Thrasher here. There are too many skills that you'll try only to find that you don't like them much. Heck, there are some skills that are flat out useless.

That said, I haven't used one of these guys yet.

I have to agree that a game with character customisation as a strength, shouldn't allow respecs - or at least it should be quite limited.

That way, you feel like your development choices have real meaning and weight, and it prolongs the life of a good game - because you WANT to experiment and see how the game plays with a different character.

But it's a balance thing, and some games are not strong enough to be able to carry this - and I don't think Two Worlds can do it. So, allowing respecs is probably a good choice for that game - though no developer would want to realise that about their own game.

Arcania is similarly weak overall, and you wouldn't want to stop mid-game to experiment with a new character, because there just isn't enough variety to make more playthroughs worthwhile.

Back in my Diablo 2 days, I could experiment forever - and I LIKED that. I restarted countless characters, even for the most minor variations - because your ability to do damage and what not mattered so much. It became almost an obsession to optimise my builds - and I'm sad to see so few games these days, where a clever build is rewarded.

Also, a game like Fallout 3 - which is quite different based on how you develop your character, would be hurt by allowing a respec. It would nullify the work and planning you've poured into it, and I personally wouldn't want to replay it if I could just experiment with all skills in a single playthrough.

I know modern RPGs have become a lot more lenient in this way, and some players view it as a punishment that they have to start over. But I think it's quite the opposite, actually.

A game where your planning and character prowess truly matters, is a gift that is so rarely given these days.

Holy… the game seems to be unable to play the cut scenes that happen when you finish the 'relic quest'. Luckily, the videos are in WMV format so you can just go into the game's video directory and play Cut3.wmv.

Edit: Game complete! I had to watch all the remaining videos 'by hand' - oh well. 58 out of 60 teleporters found!

I ended the game with some plot items that never did find a home.

A 'dwarven contraption' I got from a bandit cave. 'The Cure' taken from a clan store. Also a dwarven statue taken from a small underground area I found in the north east.

I wonder what they were all for? Other than filling my inventory up?

Last edited:
Back in my Diablo 2 days, I could experiment forever - and I LIKED that.

But isn't Diablo 2 had a respec system? I am almost sure it had respec, so it's strange to quote it as sort of counter example of more modern games that all offer respec.

in fact for me it's Diablo 2 that launch this respec mode.

Back
Top Bottom