Manipulating both public and media through orchestrating an public outcry

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello everyone,

well, I must say that I'm ot very much surprised : http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...Grand_Theft_Auto_controversy.php#.UIaQumJXxI4

In is essense it says that the public GTA outcries were kind of planned in the first place - the public outcry" was planned with the goal in mind to get the game into public's attention through this - and thus into good sales, implicitely, of course.

What disturbs me a bit is rather this quote :

"We always did everything from the perspective of what's going to be the most fun. It just naturally kept pushing us down the darker direction."

Has anyone access to the original article ?

Alrik

Why does it disturb you?

Once it was only "sex sells". Today it's - scandals sell. And "scandals".

If in the end we get a good enough product, can't say I'll protest on it.

Wow. That's some incredibly bad taste, there. They got in trouble over the nuns advertisement but this is way worse. How many more minutes until the mainstream media gets wind of it? Because this is looking like a CEO changer to me.

Manipulation through Empathy, from the German-language Wikipedia article :

Heute betreiben sowohl Politiker als auch Intellektuelle und (kommerzielle) Massenmedien dieses „Geschäft“ mit Gefühlen (Stichwort Einschaltquoten). Das erzeuge, so Joseph Schumpeter, eine feindselige, für den Kapitalismus in seiner Existenz bedrohliche soziale Atmosphäre.[23] Der Grund: Nach Ansicht von Schumpeter entwickelt die Masse des Volkes nie aus eigener Initiative heraus feste Ansichten. Vielmehr bedarf es Gruppen, in deren Interesse es ist, den Groll zu steigern, zu organisieren, zu hegen und zu pflegen. Das Entfalten von Revolten durch das Auslösen der besonders wirksamen, negativen Emotionen wie Angst, Neid, Wut, Frustration oder Ohnmacht sei ein Geschäft, das sich bei Erfolg auszahle (verkaufte Auflage, Popularität etc.). Eine entscheidende Rolle spielt dabei der Berufsstand der Intellektuellen, wozu insbesondere Journalisten zählen. Diese Personengruppe beherrscht den Umgang mit dem gesprochenen oder geschriebenen Wort – allerdings trägt sie keine Verantwortung für praktische Dinge (oder für die Folgen ihrer Handlungen). Ferner fehlen ihr Informationen aus erster Hand, wie man sie nur durch tatsächliche Erfahrung erwerben kann. Schumpeter stellt abschließend die rhetorische Frage, ob es sich um Leute handele, „… die über alles reden, weil sie nichts verstehen?“[24]

Google translates it as this (small corrections by me) :

Today operate both politicians and intellectuals (commercial) media this "business" with feelings (cue audience). This produces, according to Joseph Schumpeter, a hostile social atmosphere, threatening the very existence of capitalism [23] The reason:. According to Schumpeter, the mass of the people never developed strong views on their own initiative. Instead, it requires groups in whose interest it is to increase the resentment, to organize, to cherish and maintain. The unfolding of revolts by triggering the most effective, negative emotions such as fear, jealousy, anger, frustration or impotence is a business that is paying for success (paid circulation, popularity, etc.). Plays a crucial role in the profession of intellectuals, including, in particular among journalists. This group controls the use of the spoken or written word - but it is not responsible for practical things (or for the consequences of their actions). Moreover, their lack of information at first hand, how they can acquire only through actual experience. Schumpeter concludes by rhetorically, whether it was to people, "… talk about anything, because they do not understand?" [24]

Back
Top Bottom