Gothic 3 Monster respawning in Gothic 3?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Is there supposed to be some limited monster respawning in Gothic 3? I just noticed that a small number of mosters have respawned in some areas, these monsters do not give experience when killed. Am I encountering a bug?

I thought that unlike the previous gothics, there was no respawning at all in Gothic 3. The previous ones worked with chapters and you could definately see the changes -> I remember that I once played Gothic1 killing of everything in each chapter (even before you've entered one of the camps, there was some respawning)

I also thought there was no repawning in G3 if you fully cleared an area it stayed empty but I could be wrong and just didn't notice it, but then you would get experience

I'm not the only person who has noticed this, quite a few people at the JoWood forums have also mentioned it, there just doesn't seem to be a definite answer on whether or not this is a design decision or a bug.

i think it's a bug! you kill it you get xp! that's how it should work... i mean why can u kill a wolf in a place and get xp then go to another place(that has been cleared before) kill a wolf and get no xp? that does not seem logical

After talking to more people over at JoWood I have to agree, it's definitely a bug. This really sucks because I've put in about 30 hours into the game and I really don't want to start over.

I tried loading a previous save from a few hours earlier and at first I thought it was ok, but once I got around to about the same time frame as before, it started happening again, leading me to believe that it must be a bad installation.

This is not a bug! And there is no random respawning in Gothic 1-2 !!! All monster spawns are scripted there! But in Gothic 3 monsters will reappear at random intervals to keep the world from being empty. That's also why you don't get exp, it's like killing the same monster multiple times.

This is not a bug! And there is no random respawning in Gothic 1-2 !!! All monster spawns are scripted there! But in Gothic 3 monsters will reappear at random intervals to keep the world from being empty. That's also why you don't get exp, it's like killing the same monster multiple times.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Did this happen every time you played gothic 3? If you are correct, then this puts my mind at ease because I was about to reinstall and start all over.

What I don't understand is that I have talked to several people who claim that this never happened to them, or that it only happened on some playthroughs but not all of them.

Where did you hear that this was intended by the developers? And why wouldn't the respawned monsters give experience?

I'm absolutely sure since the devs themselves said so. I'm too lazy to search for a link right now but it was in one of the interviews or dev posts in WoG.

The idea is this: If you have killed say a pack of wolves, then given enough time, some of the wolves will reappear to keep the world from being empty, as I said above. You won't get exp since you have already killed the pack. They are the 'same' wolves so to speak. To see this happen you have to hang around an area long enough.

[edit] If they had done differently one could earn free exp by grinding an area, killing the same monsters over and over again.

Last edited:
Not a single monster respawned when I played through G3 twice.....

A bug certainly and it sounds like Lethal weapon had it too. It's hardly "free" experience if you have to kill them.....

Lethal Weapon,

I think you might have simply misread something, I don't believe it was ever implemented by the devs to have random monster respawning in Gothic 3. The percentage of people who have experienced it is just to small for it to be a game feature. I believe it is simply a bug that some people have encountered.

Actually I can't post at that forum because it won't except my email address during the registration process.

It's ok anyways, I've scoured the forums at JoWood, WOG, and here, and I've accepted the fact that it seems to be a bug we've encountered.

*Edit* I will either prove or disprove this in the near future because I've decided to start over. I've uninstalled G3 completely and I'm going to reinstall and start over tonight after I defrag my hard drive.

Last edited:
Actually I can't post at that forum because it won't except my email address during the registration process.

I have asked Ralf for you. Though I can't see the reason for uninstalling, it's nothing game-breaking, they could have made those kills to give 1 exp instead of 0 exp, but that's about it.

Thanks LW, I hope he responds.

One thing that was really bugging me was the fact that some of the respawns I experienced were out of place. For instance, there were Lurkers in the middle of the forest where they shouldn't have been. Anyways, I've already uninstalled the game after moving my save files to another folder. I just purchased a copy of Gothic Universe and I'm curious to see if the version of G3 included is the same as the unpatched original.

I enjoy the game so damn much that the thought of starting over doesn't really bother me anymore. I wasn't all that far anyways, I had only explored and done most of the quest in Adea, Reddock, Cape Dun, and Montera.

Never happened to me. I cleared a big part of Nordmar and walked the way only back with Xardas at the end of the game and no new life.
SO i really think it is a bug.
Hehe I restarted to, am at Montera now and playing as a full mage. Just got to love lightning spells

@titus you will not experience any respawning unless you clear an area and stay in that area for quite a while. Personally I regularly experience respawning since I might spend hours (real time) in an area just admiring the views whilst reading a book.

But I've already asked the devs, hopefully they will respond and there will be no need for guessing then.

i'm interested about this topic since i too had encountered some XP-less monsters in areas which i had previously cleared.. nothing big - mostly lurkers, jackals and wolves.

Back
Top Bottom