Risen - Video Interview and In-Game Footage

What, they´ve moved away from the dark and gritty setting?! This game is truly doomed. I wonder if it will be immature too.
At least it will be kinda huge and epic, fortunately.

On a more serious note, I hope those talks about accessibility and such is just the usual PR bullshit. Similarly I hope those talks about how everything is handmade are not.

The handmadedness öf quests collides a bit with the earlier statement how the game contains about 300 quests, or so. Hopefully, that was actually an overstatement.

Gothic was never a spreadsheet gamer´s paradise so I´m not bothered by moving from the numbers yet. I wouldn´t mind if the system ended up somewhat similar to the one used in Witcher.

From what was shown of the game in this and other video, I really like the scenery, it really feels carefully crafted and I like the overall atmosphere.
However, I really don´t like the look of the characters. Their proportions seem to be rather silly, similarly as was the case in Gothic 3. Also that multidude battle against a monster looked rather crappy, as was the case, eh, in Gothic 3.
Hopefully a yet to be optimalized system.

Also, although I´m glad they´re supposedly returning to G2 roots, the game seems rather derivative so far, so the story better be great, or else.

Anyway, those PR/marketing entities really do a very effective job at sucking the meaning out of insertagamedescriptions, don´t they?

Also, LOL.

One of the PB guys over at WoR.de said that this combat system is just one of many. The final version is being finished as we speak.

From the FAQ
Will the game appearance be “dirty“, or be a mix of “dirt“ and “glamour“?
Everything will look dirty and used. This will be harder work, but fits wonderfully into the overall game.

From the Interview:
... we have a different setting now, so we've moved away from a dark and gritty setting to a more colorful and bright mediterranian setting...

While the interview doesn't quite address the exact same question brought up in the FAQ on this subject, still, it was surprising to here what he said regarding 'bright and colorful' when from the FAQ one would believe a more 'dark and gritty' setting.

Then again, from screenshots and the video from the interview, it seems to look dark and gritty to me...

Damn is it so obvious who I am. :lol:
Yeah,in fact even before I looked at your location I was pretty sure who you were.

Anyway I can't judge the fighting system from just a vid but I hope some things like that armor and some swords will never make it into the final version.

While the interview doesn't quite address the exact same question brought up in the FAQ on this subject, still, it was surprising to here what he said regarding 'bright and colorful' when from the FAQ one would believe a more 'dark and gritty' setting.

Then again, from screenshots and the video from the interview, it seems to look dark and gritty to me...
As you already said, I don't think these two points are the same thing. "Dirty and used" should be attributed to man-made structures and objects, wheras "bright and colorful" would be nature and weather. This can go very well together.

I think you're right Turjan - they are referring to two different things. One is referring to the general setting - the colourful jungles, beaches and so on. The other is referring to the state of villages and what not, where things look dirty and used instead of being bright and shiny.

Piranha Bytes is based in the "Ruhrgebiet" like me - when we say "Bright & colorful" to something -> the rest of the world would still say "Dirty and used" to the same thing ;)

Was there any climbing shown in the video? Best part of Gothic 2 seems to be forgotten these days.

The combat looks like it is borked like G3. Only one enemy can attack you at a time?
There is at least one example of two NPCs attacking that beast simultanously, although the NPC's combat behaviour is very reminiscent of Gothic 3.

Was there any climbing shown in the video? Best part of Gothic 2 seems to be forgotten these days.
Of course not.

Wow I'm confused. This is a PB game right? What was that thing in the players left hand?
You mean the shield? o_O

@Superguest

So? Re-read my statement and comprehend. Look at the scene where there are more enemies than one. Guess what? Only one enemy is attacking. OK, understand?

I don't like hearing about less character "management", and more emphasis on atmosphere. I'd rather character development was deeper rather than "atmospheric".

Custom designed locations and quests sounds good though.

Who knows maybe the game footage was taken on easy difficulty and in normal and hard difficulties more enemies will attack at the same time. It was also mentioned that this was not the final combat system.

@Superguest

So? Re-read my statement and comprehend. Look at the scene where there are more enemies than one. Guess what? Only one enemy is attacking. OK, understand?
You assume too much, Sherlock. :roll:

One of the PB guys over at WoR.de said that this combat system is just one of many. The final version is being finished as we speak.

Good to hear. That one hit kill that the character made wasn't a good thing.

P.S. Good choice for your name and avater btw:biggrin:

P.P.S. WooHoo :dance:1,000 post:boogie: Sorry, I had to say that. I never had 1,000 posts in anything before.

Who knows maybe the game footage was taken on easy difficulty and in normal and hard difficulties more enemies will attack at the same time. It was also mentioned that this was not the final combat system.

The game is technically finished and we could ship it today?

Yeah right?

the biggest technical challange of a game is the gameplay, which consist in a large part of the combat system for this kind of games.... so this is another contradiction and just proves they are full of :B :B :B Sure that guy does not mean they could ship the game without a combat system ???

sorry if I sound overly negative, but my heart was broken by G3.

Back
Top Bottom