The Things That Excited You

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
People seemed to enjoy participating in the thread What is Your Story so I thought of another way to stroll down memory lane for those interested in doing so.

What are the things that excited you about gaming as you grew up? These things can be software, hardware or just other experiences you had as it relates to gaming. I'll give a few examples of things that excited me to get things started.

Intellivision Auto Racing
In retrospect, the game is rather boring and doesn't hold up well over time. But what captured my imagination with that game was that it was possible to go 'off course' in a few places. And that opened up the possibility of discovering some kind of easter egg a-la Atari 2600 Adventure. Spent many hours with friends trying to find what was never there. But had a blast doing it.

An Advertisement for a Game that was Never to be
I remember an advertisement for a ColecoVision game that never materialized. It was going to be called Dracula. I came across an advertisement for the 'soon to be released game' that had an in-game picture of it. The graphics were really good looking and the scene of Dracula breaking into the bedroom with a person in it conjured up all kinds of gameplay possibilities. But it was never to be as the game never came out.

Ultima II
Ultima II is the first RPG type game I ever played. Although Spoony's review of the game is anything but complimentary, his review lacks the perspective of the times. The game seemed so massive and huge - full of possibilities. There were really no other games like it at the time. There was an air of, 'man this game is going to take me years to finish' - and that was not a pejorative notion - it was a good thing especially in contrast to the very simple video games of the day.

ColecoVision Adam
I've always been a sort of sucker for packaging. Sadly, to this day, nice packaging is still a draw for me, even though I know better and have been burned oh so many times. But back in high school, when Coleco announced the Adam Computer I was struck by a cold sweat and all my money making functions turned to acquiring the system. I mean, did you see the cool box? That box was like the ultimate fireworks pack I could buy at the fireworks stand on 4th of July. And the system was white. WHITE! With WHITE controllers!!! And it played (my heart still misses a beat) - SUPER Donkey Kong. Not just Donkey Kong. SUPER Donkey Kong! Luckily for me, the computing gods ultimately denied me my prize as I was never able to muster up the $400 to buy it, and in hindsight, that was probably a good thing.

I have more, but let's see what you all got.

When I was growing up, there were no such games, so what excited me were girls, girls and GIRLS!! :)

When I was growing up, there were no such games, so what excited me were girls, girls and GIRLS!! :)

Liar. The excitment were boobs. Hell, still are.

Hah! No match! Ninjas are impregnable!
I got a ninja pregnant once, she was quite the… umm actually, maybe I better shut up about that. :D

I think I covered what got me excited about PC gaming in the other topic. Beyond that gets outside the "when I was growing up" stage so I guess I won't go on about 3D Vision and now the Rift. (I really really hope my eyes can still focus on screens that close to my face!)

What excitedme, regarding games :

When I had found out that there were hidden tunnels & easter eggs in Commander Keen 4. :D

We played hours long searching for these tuinnels, my sister and me, until I had found out that there was a "cheat-code" to make those tunnels visible. :D ;)
But still - we didn't know what was in these tunnels or where they would lead to.
So we were just searching on. :D ;)

One exciting moment I can still recall was when I discovered the lighting effects in The elder scrolls - Arena. My first lightning bolt (or was it a Flame dart ?) shot through the dark tunnels of the first dungeon of the game… Wow, that was really great !

One exciting moment I can still recall was when I discovered the lighting effects in The elder scrolls - Arena. My first lightning bolt (or was it a Flame dart ?) shot through the dark tunnels of the first dungeon of the game… Wow, that was really great !
Yeah, the atmosphere in the starter dungeon was great. Best rats ever.

I always wanted a Vectrex as it looked thrilling, but never got one. Part of me still wants one.

Finding the "Entrance to Hades" in JetSet Willy. I thought the skull was amazing.

Being told by a friend that I could find the Necromancer in the Hobbit, I was so excited I spent ages looking before finding out it wasn't true.

Entering the Temple of Time in LoZ: OoT.

Defeating Sarevok and his gang for the first time.

Meeting the Puppets in the Cradle in Thief: DS. Exciting, but not perhaps in a good way….

I always wanted a Vectrex as it looked thrilling…
…and it sure was ! I spent endless nights on Mine Storm (one of the major title released with the Vectrex system). This has been the only console I ever played with but I still miss those nights (maybe because those were probably a part of the best years of my entire life too ?).

I always wanted a Vectrex as it looked thrilling, but never got one. Part of me still wants one.

Oh, wow, I never knew what this was called. My uncle had one when I was a kid. My sister and I used to play this all the time when we were at his house. The only game that I remember is a racing game that sort of looks like Hyperchase Auto Race, but it's hard to tell. That gave me a flood of memories about playing this thing.

Well, games like MM6 pretty much blew me away, but that's a given. I want to add something a bit more unorthodox here: Jones in the Fast Lane. I have no idea how many hours me and a friend spent playing that game, but I know we played on and off for years. We did the same with Mad TV and Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have to mention HoMM1 and the original Kings Bounty.

Quite a few things revolving around Wiz8. Probably the standouts are "reverse engineering" the race/class stat table based on the demo (and being a little pissed when it was printed plain as day in the manual) and working with a few other members of "the community" to pry a few hints about the easter egg dungeons out of the development team.

While the atmosphere of the entire game was engrossing, the Fort Frolic level of Bioshock was just something special. I don't really do "immersion" but I was completely sucked in.

How about taking the topic the other direction? The biggest letdown I've had was at the end of UFO:Extraterrestrials. Loved the game to death. Played for hours and hours. Build and build tension to the final battle. Kill Foozle. Roll highly anticipated and rewarding cinematic... "Boom. Your soldiers heroically die saving the universe. Have a nice day." Roll credits. Really?!?

I'd like to name the ending to Torment or discovering the secret to Durlag's Tower, but, by far, the single most influential gaming I've had in my life has been the social aspect of Everquest.

Staying up till 3, 4, or 5 in the morning with your friends trying to break ground on what a new expansion brought when the presence of internet spoilers were still at a bare minimum (or non-existent) was a moment that cannot be reproduced today. It was incredibly rewarding to finally discover how to win a group or raid encounter, or the final npcs to talk to in a long quest arc, to know that you did it on your own. Such a wonderful feeling of camaraderie back then.

Hi everyone I haven't been participating in the thread I started because my wife suffered a serious injury and is in the ICU of our local hospital. All of you who believe in a higher power we can really use the prayers.

I don't pray, but I'm sending my best wishes and sincere hopes for a speedy recocery.

Hi everyone I haven't been participating in the thread I started because my wife suffered a serious injury and is in the ICU of our local hospital. All of you who believe in a higher power we can really use the prayers.

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes (and prayers).

pibbur

Back
Top Bottom