Madman - Is Greenlit

Anyone try this out? What is it like?

Madman is a single-player, single character role playing game, much like Eschalon. Your sister entered a cave and got carried/teleported away. You try to follow and end up stranded on a land far away. The goal of the game is to find out how to get home and rescue your sister. She contacts you in your sleep as you play.

There are a bunch of standard classes to choose from when you start. You have fighter, paladin, ranger, druid, mage, thief, ninja, etc. There are the typical stats like strength, dexterity, endurance and such. There are several skills that help shape your particular play style: melee, ranged, unarmed, lockpicking, detect secrets, detect traps, pickpocketing, casting, barter, etc. Your class determines which skills will automatically raise as you level up.

Raising non-class skills is a matter of finding shrines that are dedicated to that particular skill. As you level up, you will earn 20 points per level to spend at the various shrines. The combat shrines are near the towns, but the more illicit shrines are in out of the way locales.

Inventory space is very limited, so you will be traveling back and forth a bunch. The good news is that the walking speed is configurable and quite fast. You have a bedroll, sextant, calendar, clock, and lantern as standard gear. You need to carry oil at all times so several of your limited slots are taken up by these items. A shovel and pickaxe are also needed. Any items that are dropped stay there forever. You can always come back and pick up leftover loot. You won't really need to do this as money is never a problem.

There is mining and crafting, which is the best way to earn money. You craft weapons and sell them to the weapon merchant. There is also alchemy, so you can collect ingredients and make tons of potions and sell the leftovers. You will be rich very quickly.

There is a magic system with most of the standard spells you would expect. A few neat twists are spells that raise your barter skill or chance to pick a lock. You'll need to find a tutor and pass several tests to become a complete mage. Note that madman mages are not damage dealers. Their role is buffing and healing primarily. There are a couple of offensive spells but you cannot survive without a weapon skill. There is a word for a combat mage in Madman--dead.

While there is stealing and pick pocketing, these skills are heavily frowned on and you must be very good at the skill to have any chance at all. People have kind of a sixth sense about these activities. If you get caught you get teleported to the blasted lands; a land rich in volcanoes and lava and a place where it is too hot to survive for long. There is also a detect secrets skill and detect traps, which come into play more often for the would be rogue.

There you go.

This game looks interesting.

I tried to get this game to work on my computer awhile back. Couldn't make it happen.

This is literally the first game ever that I'd have an issue with that I couldn't eventually get to work. I mean, other games had issues that you had to do something to get it to run, but this one, couldn't get it working. Weird.

Back
Top Bottom