The Kickstarter Promise @GamersGlobal

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
German site GamersGlobal published a thorough article explaining the results of the author's study of a huge sample of all gaming Kickstarters so far, including all 114 finished in January 2013. The piece includes detailed numbers and many conclusions, and deals with topics like risk, PayPal and star power.
Here's a random German quote. If you are a developer who considers to run a Kickstarter campaign, feeding the whole article into Babel Fish will save you days of research.
In der Gaming-Landschaft hat sich Kickstarter mittlerweile als feste Größe etabliert. Doch durch die Natur der Sache – unterstützt werden Spiele, die dann in der Regel allermindestens ein Jahr brauchen, um entwickelt zu werden – lässt sich noch gar nicht abschätzen, ob die Hype-Plattform auch zu spielenswerten Titeln führt. Kein einziges VIP-Projekt ist bislang erschienen (Giana Sisters war, wie geschrieben, bei Kampagnenstart bereits weitgehend fertig). Und das Beispiel Code Hero dürfte nur das erste bekannte von mehreren ins Schlingern geratenen Projekten sein. Denn wenn einem per Kickstarter finanzierten Projekt das Geld ausgeht, ist eben kein Publisher im Hintergrund, der im Notfall bereit ist, weiteres Geld zuzuschießen (das er sich dann später ja wiederholt). Dann ist im Zweifel nichts mehr da, und die von tausenden Spielefans gezahlten Dollar führen entweder zu einem vorschnell herausgehauenen, enttäuschenden Spiel – oder im schlimmsten Fall zu gar nichts. In den letzten Monaten scheint uns zudem die Masse nicht sonderlich interessanter Kleinprojekte zuzunehmen.
More information.

Babelfish returned a load of gibberish so i tried Bing instead..

http://www.bing.com/translator

it makes more sense now…

In the gaming landscape, Kickstarter has now as fixed size & foot s established; But by the nature of things - supported games, which then usually at the very least a year need to be - developed can be did not assess whether the hype platform also leads to titles values of games. Not a single VIP project has so far appeared (Giana sisters was, as required, at the start of the campaign already largely completed). And the example code hero seems to be only the first known of several projects in the pitching. Because when the money comes from a project financed by Kickstarter, is just no publisher in the background that is ready in case of an emergency, another money zuzuschie & white; en (which he repeated then later Yes). Then nothing is in doubt, and the dollars paid by thousands of game fans a hastily carved out, disappointing game - or in the worst case lead to nothing at all. The last few months, the not particularly interesting small projects to increase mass seems to us also.

regards

Nice, Gorath. Not a bad read. Wish it offered more insights in recent trends, but then again, the sample size is so small already, it's hard to get a good grasp of trends.

Ach! Mine head ist hurtin' Vulf!

in my eyes kickstarter is just an advanced preorder

Seriously? That is what you get from it? I see it as a way to get games made that would not get made at all if it wasn't for the funding, most of the time because it is interesting to a niche audience. Yes, most times you get a copy of the game, but really that's a bonus for it being made at all.

in my eyes kickstarter is just an advanced preorder

It expanded a bit. You can now order older games from a company in order to fund the game they introduce in the KS project.

It is slowly converging toward an online retailing service.

German site GamersGlobal published a thorough article explaining the results of the author's study of a huge sample of all gaming Kickstarters so far, including all 114 finished in January 2013. The piece includes detailed numbers and many conclusions, and deals with topics like risk, PayPal and star power.
Here's a random German quote. If you are a developer who considers to run a Kickstarter campaign, feeding the whole article into Babel Fish will save you days of research.
More information.

That was an interesting article, confirms a lot of impressions I had but also some surprising data. Especially interesting was the dominance of RPG related projects (and space sims) - I suspected that, but it's nice to see some numbers.
I hope they'll do an update in a year or two, when it will be more clear if (and how well) the projects currently in development will have delivered.

Back
Top Bottom