Gothic 3 Worst Gothic 3 score so far

kalniel

SasqWatch
One of the worst Gothic 3 scores so far

Just had a browse through magazines at the airport and came across 'Games TM' with shiney front cover. They're a multi-format magazine.

Gothic 3 got 4/10 :p

I can't remember many details, but I think they were unimpressed by lack of game stability, lack of purpose and controls. They didn't even like the graphics :p

Last edited:
That score is absurd. If they are trying to make a larger point about unfinished games I wish they wouldnt single out Gothic 3 for such a lashing.

Even on the '0-10' scale 1Up purports to be using, 4/10 would seem low.

2/10? That one is blocked for me at work but I've got to read that. If a game can get to the main menu is deserves at least a 3! Sheesh.

I guess people can be too superficial at times - Under all that grit and grime lurks a sparkling diamond (with a few flaws). And if it gets tossed into the garbage heap well, too bad for them...

2/10? That one is blocked for me at work but I've got to read that. If a game can get to the main menu is deserves at least a 3! Sheesh.

Here is a telling quote:
Gothic III is an orthodox RPG but a very abysmal and repetitive one. Cliché is not strong enough a word. The recent release of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion puts Gothic III to absolute shame; since the former is by far the superior of the two and much more worthy of both your time and money. This is not simply down to the multitude of bugs Gothic III is plagued with, as it would still be a very poor game even when running at its full potential.

Ah.. mine didn't get to the main menu until I'd tinkered for at least 30mins with some techie stuff...

But I dont' see what's wrong with saying Oblivion is superior - in many people's eyes (including my own) it is. However G3 is still a fantastic game and I'm glad to own both of them.

Here is a telling quote:

That review truly tells more about the reviewer himself than the game. :) People who review games, books, movies or anything should keep an open mind and try to be atleast somewhat objective. No biggie if they love oblivion but giving 2 from 10 to g3 is simply retarded! :biggrin:

By all means oblivion had it's moments and i'm enjoying it now and then, but superior to g3 every way thats just stupid. Both games have their weaknesses. I can't belive how many journalists can't see the most major flaws in oblvion. No consiquences and no real choises.

While g3 has bugs and combat ain't the best either, it is still a real roleplaying game.

But I dont' see what's wrong with saying Oblivion is superior - in many people's eyes (including my own) it is.

There is no problem with that - because reviewing is about 'objective subjectivity' (or subjective objectivity, take your choice). Everything is done 'in context'.

I gave Oblivion a 4/5 in my review and fully support that. I'm not sure where Gothic 3 will end up yet, as I'm only ~level 17 and freed one town so far - there is a long way to go ...

But there is a difference between 'Oblivion is better' and 'Oblivion puts G3 to shame ... Gothic 3 is ... very abysmal'. I would have no issues with the former.

Well ofcourse there are lots of choises and to be honest i might have exaggerated a little there. My point is that you can't alter the course of mainquest at all. In short you can't choose the be a bad quy :) Although I rarely play bad guy cause i'm such a nice person, but still it feels so linear :)

Actually there is one evil choice to make and I made it! I'll give you a hint: Say "hozzah" one more time and I'll...

I'd say the reviewer is 12 years old and got killed too many times so just gave up!!

I would give G3 twelve out of ten, but i ain't no reviewer, i'm just the end product - a humble (but deadly serious) gothic gamer, "thank-you" Piranha Bytes.

As i get deeper into this game the divergencies and intentional distractive sidetracking of the protagonist become more and more obvious, this is what i personally have been seeking within the gothic series. It leaves G1 and G2 way in the background as far as 'storyline direction' is concerned, or to be clearer...*not too apparent suggestive gameplay* that element in a game of the unknowing which, through a progressive build-up of the players own intuitive detection, becomes to realise which path they must tread as the storyline unfolds - and which to another player could be a completely different one - - undeniably excellent.

"Two-a-penny" reviewers - who needs them? ......:p

Wulf, I absolutely agree with your observations, the core of the game is pure diamond, something similar has simply not ever been done before. Any true gamer will be able to get past the rough edges and appreciate the game for what it really is.

LW, I think you've hit the nail on the head; I salute your astute observation!!

Wulf, I absolutely agree with your observations, the core of the game is pure diamond, something similar has simply not ever been done before. Any true gamer will be able to get past the rough edges and appreciate the game for what it really is.

And that was true for G2 as well - I just think this one challenges even those who love G2, but in different ways ...

Back
Top Bottom