Wasteland 2 - Funding Finished, Over $3M Raised

Ahh… a new wasteland… some writing assistance from MCA… mod tools… feeling really glad I increased my funding. Godspeed, Brian Fargo.

Next year, they're going to release an update:
Dear fans,
We are terribly sorry. We were very excited about making the most amazing sequel to Wasteland, but... And this is very difficult to say. We've run out of money.
The game will not be completed, but we thank you for all your support.
Please accept this wallpaper as a token of our gratitude.

They took the money, put it in a Cayman Isles account and that's it.

Good news - and I truly hope they will deliver.

All it takes is one high-profile kickstarter title failing to deliver in this vital "trust building" initial period, and I hope we won't see that happening.

Once enough games are actually completed, failures will matter much less.

Grats to Fargo. I'm thrilled to see what they can achieve. But still a long time…
If so, I hope they also left the country in time. If not, I'm sure there would be a fraud law in the US that gets them a lenghty holiday sponsored in San Quentin. ;)

I'm sure they will deliver something, but if it will fulfill the expectation of every backer... I don't think so, too much nostalgia in the mix.

To be honest, I see these kickstarter projects mostly as an investment, like a stock exchange (in contrast to 'just' trying to helping someone). Of course there is risk, but that can be minimized, and the higher the risk the higher the possible reward.

No, there is a new law that exempts start-ups from just this sort of grab-and-run fraud for five years. It's called the JOB Act. Look it up.

No, there is a new law that exempts start-ups from just this sort of grab-and-run fraud for five years. It's called the JOB Act. Look it up.

iNexile isn't a startup though. So, I guess that's one more reason to feel more comfortable with kickstarter projects put forward by small independant - but already established - companies.

€dith: too late, see above.

Also, if anyone has a friend who was living under a rock somewhere and missed out on this - remind them that the Paypal donations are being kept open for a while longer. This means people still have the chance - at the very least - to get the game for the discounted backer price of $15. Not sure how long this will be kept open, but the posts on kickstarter make it sound like it's only for a few more hours.

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge.php

Are they going to close payPal completely? I think they should do what Double Fine seems to want to do: leave the option to at least prepurchase the game through payPal open indefinitely. Anyway, with this and all that follows, the next few months are going to be exciting.

Are they going to close payPal completely? I think they should do what Double Fine seems to want to do: leave the option to at least prepurchase the game through payPal open indefinitely. Anyway, with this and all that follows, the next few months are going to be exciting.

They just changed the paypal funding page ->

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store

Pre-order for the slightly higher, but still discounted, price of $20. So yeah they're apparently going to keep pay-pal pre-ordering open, but the option to get "backer" rewards are gone; you still get the game discounted though and pre-ordering is a good way to get them some more cash-flow between now and launch.

Does anyone know what kind of a cut Kickstarter takes from these projects?

Does anyone know what kind of a cut Kickstarter takes from these projects?

5%

They have made quite a lot of money this month and will make even more by the end of next month (Double-Fine has already been dethroned as the most funded project in their site's history by another project that still has a month to go.

I managed to debate between pledge levels for so long that I failed to pledge at all. I'm really bummed. I wish they'd left the pledge levels on the paypal side for just a little longer so I could have rectified my failure. :(

What is this other project? I tried looking but couldn't find it.

big thread exactly on that here in case forum members are living under a rock

5%

They have made quite a lot of money this month and will make even more by the end of next month (Double-Fine has already been dethroned as the most funded project in their site's history by another project that still has a month to go.

Is this 5% inXile's "kick it forward" campaign or do the kickstarter get a different 5%? Is kickstarter for-profit or non-profit?

That Kick it forward thing is something different. InExile commited to re-donating 5% of their profits to Kickstarter campaigns by other devs of their choice. So if W2 earns them 15M$, their costs are 5M$ (development, distribution, marketing, revenue split), they have 10M$ profit. Of that they would donate 5%, which would be 500k$.

I ignored taxes and the possibility for Hollywood accounting.

Back
Top Bottom