Inquisitor - An RPG Gem

D

Deleted User

Hello Watchers.

Just wanted to take a moment and shine a light on this little gem of a game called Inquisitor.

Seems like not many folks have played this game. It doesn't seem too popular for some reason. I could barely find a review of it online. The metacritic only has 3 or 4 professional reviews and 1 user review. Wow. I expected more people would have an opinion on this game...

Anyway, if you're thinking about playing this game, I would definitely recommend it. But only play this game if you like lots of text dialog, a dark, religious world, using your brain a little bit, taking your time and playing with patience. If those things sound interesting to you, then try this game. You won't regret it.

Like I said, there's lots of text, but I find it very well written and interesting to read. The best part about the dialog is that you never know who to really trust. You have to consider the motives of the person telling you the information. Are they lying to you? Are they just misinformed? You never really know until you dig a little deeper and start putting the clues together. The game is like a Sherlock Holmes mystery case and you figure it out as you go. It's absolutely unique and I've never played anything quite like it.

Everything else in the game such as the combat, character customization, skills, magic, etc, is done very well, but you really want to play this game for the story. The combat is intertwined perfectly with the story and the game evolves at a beautiful pace. The story really keeps you hooked. And there's tons of loot to sift through, chests to open, barrels to break and orc heads to trade to the local sheriff for gold :).

I could go on and on about it but these are mostly early impressions as I've only played the game for a week or so. So I'll just stop here and definitely recommend playing it to anyone reading this. It's only $15 on GOG so you should definitely pick up a copy and try it out. If you do, let me know what you think about it in this thread.

Thanks for reading. And thank you Cinemax for making a great game.

After waiting 10 years for the game I was put off by all the talk of respawns. I'll have to give this a try though.

There are respawns, but they are so minimal that they don't take away from the game. I am still early in the game, though, so who knows. But so far, no big deal at all.

...er Fluent, you could check here at the Watch........... if you look on the front news page, or in the news forum you'll see we posted a major review of the game a couple of months ago!!

Corwin, I read your review of Inquisitor before I decided to try the game for myself. It was well done, so kudos to you. I'm saying though, besides your review and just a few others, there has not been a lot of coverage for this game for some reason. I really don't understand it because I feel it's one of the best games I've played recently.

And another note on the respawns. As I said they are minimal, and for the large part they make logical sense. For example, if you clear out an area, more than likely all those enemies will remain dead and the area won't repopulate even if you leave and come back several times. However, an orc or 2 may randomly spawn in the area (if the area was heavy on orcs before you killed them all), or a spider might crawl out of a spider hole that you already cleared. It's logical and you barely notice it.

It doesn't seem to be a grind-heavy game at all. But it definitely is best to clear each area as you go, fully exploring the land and killing everything in your path. That way you will gain enough experience to be able to tackle the harder parts.

Oh, the respawns were never an issue for me; it was the rinse and repeat nature of each chapter. Chapter 2 was almost a mirror image of chapter 1 in many ways and chapter 3 more of the same. I still think it's quite a good game and well worth playing if you can handle its weaknesses.

But were for me.
I'm not describing Inquisitor with it sux", but those respawns were something that annoyed me so much and I've uninstalled after just a few hours of play. If you usually don't care if there are respawns or not, you'll enjoy the game.

But then again, if respawns are your cup of tea, Mark Leung: Revenge of the Bitch is so much funnier to play than this one - that game, regardless of respawns, had an interesting immature humor that kept me playing till, at a certain stage, I really couldn't forgive the amount of respawns any more.

Inquisitor is an extremely divisive game that some people think is awful and others think is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm more in the awful camp myself, although it certainly had some promise. The respawns didn't bother me too much, and I loved the very early game where you walk through town and talk to everyone. But once I left town I felt like I was playing a completely different game, exploring was just an endlesss slog of boring combat against endless waves of monsters, with the rare story element thrown in. If only they could have integrated more of the game with the extremely cool backstory and town investigation.

Hmm. I actually think they did a fantastic job of incorporating the combat with the narrative. It makes finding that next story bit extremely satisfying when you do because you have fought (and survived) your way to that point.

I don't think it's boring combat at all. No, it's not Kingdoms of Amalur, fast-paced exotic action, but it's pretty fun regardless. You never know what is around the next corner or if you'll even survive your next encounter. It keeps you on your toes.

Count me in the camp that think it's the best thing since sliced bread :D. I really like this game. It's one of the most rewarding RPGs I've played recently. Yes, it's a bit "hardcore" if you want to call it that, but it's very rewarding too if you put a little time and patience into it. Just my opinion.

Our vastly different opinions demonstrate pretty well just how divisive the game is, even among people who enjoy old school "hardcore" games. There was alot of discussion about it on the main forums when it came out that was similarly divided.

Fluent's opinion is similar to mine - the game is indeed a gem, it will test the patience of even the most ardent gamer. I have read all reviews and the various forum arguments for and against and almost all negatives were from gamers who had lost their patience, couldn't stand this, didn't like that, etc etc' - which is the very thing the game is designed to do - to test your resolve - playing as an inquisitor with no resolve would be futile and pointless.

There is no "rare" story element thrown in, the whole game is one continuous elusive struggle with never ending storyline twists and turns that will make you stop and think.

I gave it a 9 out of 10 rating.

I found the setting interesting and the ruleset promising on paper, but the combat (which you'll spend most of the time on in any RPG) was too repetitive and attritive for my taste.

Thus I stopped playing the game about halfway through chapter 1.

Respawns didnt bother me much btw. While noticeable they arent a problem on overland maps (I'm more bothered by being able to depopulate a continent in games without respawning), and only marginally annoying in deeper dungeons.

Wulf, nice to see someone else on here likes the game as much as I do. I would give it a 9/10, too, easily. Very fun game.

The combat is alright, I enjoy it. It actually surprised me though, there is an element of strategy involved if you want to stay alive in difficult areas. For example, sometimes you have to lure out enemies one by one instead of taking on an entire pack of them at once. I also found an amazing way to deal with a very difficult enemy in Act I, which was...

Had my party members go hide, went solo against the enemy, running around in large circles around him while he cast magic at me. After drinking a bunch of potions and surviving the onslaught, he was out of mana, so I was able to lead him to where my party members were waiting and we slaughtered the mage in melee combat.

It was really the only way I could deal with such a powerful foe. And then the fact that I figured it out on my own, I was really proud of myself, lol. It was really satisfying.

But yeah, definitely recommend this game to others. I just started Act II and it's like starting the game all over again. Gathered a bunch of new quests and as usual, there are a bunch of new mysteries to unravel. Once you start piecing things together the game gets really fun IMO. Can't say enough good things about the story. It's really special.

Back
Top Bottom