Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Trent Oster Interviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Trent Oster was interviewed recently by Pocket Tactics on the tablet version of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
OF: Can we expect to see iOS & Android platform support from you on future projects?
TO: I’m personally a big believer in the tablet space and I feel it is a great place for game development. I think console development is too huge and the technical and team requirements are simply beyond where we want to go. On the tablets and desktops, we can make more fun games that are less beholden to technology and massive teams. We can build a small company that is fun to work at and each person can make a real mark on the game we are developing. When the teams get up into the hundreds you really lose the personal connection with a title and I think that personal connection is what makes some games truly great.
And on RPGamer:
MAC: How did the deal to work on an Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate even come about in the first place?
TO: War, Bloody war. We talked about making an HD version of BG and I went to work, digging through the ownership and spending the next 14 months getting a contract together. Late in the negotiations, we got a drop of all the BG content and we couldn't find the art source. After a number of trips to BioWare HQ, we came to the understanding all the art source was lost and we would have to back down on the HD plans. This sidelined the deal for a while, while we re-thought and came up with some ways to use technology to use art we had and make the game look great. In the end I think we've made the game look great and we've got plans to improve it even further in the future.
More information.

Although I love my nexus tablet, I will be getting this game for my main computer. I don't think the game would work very well or be comfortable to play on a 7" screen. Maybe it would be ok on a larger size ipad screen, but that still is kind of a small amount of screen real estate for a full bodied rpg like baldurs gate in my opinion. That said, it wouldn't shock me if it turned out to be a major success in sales on the ipad.

its not casual.i dont think it will sell well on tablets.

It doesnt need to sell millions of copies though, i'm pretty sure it will sell enough for the very reason that there isnt enough non-casual RPG's for tablets.

Consoles are dying even faster than desktop PCs are. Seems it'd be a foolish choice for an outfit not already heavily invested in consoles. Consoles are a good choice since that seems to be where computing in general is headed. And PCs are a no-brainer since everyone does their development on the PC, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom