Age of Decadence - Interview @ ePressDeck

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
An interview about Age of Decadence with Iron Tower's Vince D. Weller can be found at ePressDeck, which answers amongst others the question what a CRPG is.
EPressDesk: On your website your game, Age of Decadence, is described as a CRPG style game. Can you tell me a little bit about what that means and what sort of games you can compare it to?
Iron Tower: The way I see it, role-playing games are about using your character’s skills, abilities, and knowledge (as opposed to your own) and being able to make decisions fitting your character (as opposed to following a linear storyline with little or no input).
Basically, a true role-playing game is *your* adventure set within a flexible story arc that supports different decisions and offers different paths and outcomes. You decide what to do and how to do it, and your actions affect the story and alter your options, creating a different experience with each replay.
I don’t think I can compare it to anything because it’s sort of a ‘one of a kind’ game now. I’m not sure if it’s good – in fact, I suspect that it’s not – but what’s done is done. So, if you feel like playing something different tonight, download the demo (283 MB) and see for yourself.
More information.

I disagree* with Vince's definition of CRPG. Discuss.

*not really

I’m not sure if it’s good – in fact, I suspect that it’s not – but what’s done is done.

Great marketing.

As for another discussion on what is RPG, I have enough of a big headache from the post above this one. Too subjective and not even useful. You got my vote Dart.

Great marketing.

As for another discussion on what is RPG, I have enough of a big headache from the post above this one. Too subjective and not even useful. You got my vote Dart.
It'll earn him more players to seem honest (even if he's not being honest) than just saying "this gmae is teh coolzorz", because most people look at screenshots of games to see if they are worth buying or not. So, figures.

OMG - not again! ;)
Well I agree to disagree on his definition. Lets make this like the other topic on the much debated "What is an RPG" again.:)

I don’t think I can compare it to anything because it’s sort of a ‘one of a kind’ game now. I’m not sure if it’s good – in fact, I suspect that it’s not – but what’s done is done.

Great marketing.

I read that more as "its a bad thing in today's market to be a one of a kind game" as opposed to "the game itself sucks"

Fucking hell. The definition of "RPG" has changed at least 12 times since he started work on this game. He needs to shut up about what an RPG is and get back to work.

This game is the embodiment of RPG for me. I hate them for not going kickstarter and making a trend, but perhaps it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom