Which setting would you most like to see?

I just wan't another TDE game
Or D&D game
*sigh*
Settings you say?
I suggest rpgs in S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Metro 2033, Chronichles of Pern (i know there was as a game about Dragonriders, but let's face the truth it was awful AND non-RPG) universes.

Steampunk: Arcanum is really the only cRPG that attempted this setting and while they did an amazing job on the atmosphere, unfortunately the combat was dreadful, level design was atrocious, and there were lots of balance issues. Quite a few JRPGs have steampunk elements, but generally not a big part of the plot / world.

I'd also say Cyberpunk hasn't been doing nearly enough, even with future expansions of Shadowrun Returns and Cyberpunk 2077 on the horizon.

And I'd love to see some space opera RPGs… Mass Effect but less Biowarey; preferrably an isometric turn-based RPG. The Mandate sounded cool enough for me to back, but it's still an action RPG.

I'd also like to see more Fantasy RPGs that are NOT of the typical garden variety based on medieval Western European folkore:

African folklore: I did see that awhile back there was an action RPG based on African folklore called "Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan" on indiegogo that looked pretty cool.

Ancient Egypt: only thing I'm aware of is Ravenloft: The Stone Prophet, which I sadly have not played.

Middle Eastern: Zaharia sounds really promising. And Son of Nor, though it's not really an RPG.

Feudal Japan: While there seems to be a fair number of Samurai strategy and action games, I'm not aware of many RPG titles. Plenty of JRPGs feature samurai characters but with the exception of Suikoden, they're usually just pigeonholed in the generic fantasy setting AFAIK.

Native American culture could also be very interesting I think. Lots of great folklore to derive from. AFAIK this has never been done.

Indian- Unrest, as far as I know will be the first.

Basically A fantasy or historical game based on any non-medieval European culture would be most welcome.

I assume part of the reason that many non-Western European cultures haven't been explored much could be simply that any developers who aren't descended from a given region / culture would be afraid of misrepresenting it / accused of portraying racial or ethnic stereotypes. But this genre could use some more variety.

Last edited:
Screw fashion. I'm not talking about sparkly vamps here. I'm talking classy gothic/victorian styled, murdering blood-drinking loonies ;)
Thanks for mentioning the books though, I'm gonna have to check them out.

THIS! A million times this. And a new Kindred series please:)

I'm gonna have to agree with a steampunk setting. Would absolutely love seeing a full blown steampunk rpg with character customization and fashion and enviroments and… and…oh I'm just gonna day dream now :smitten:

I'm gonna have to agree with a steampunk setting. Would absolutely love seeing a full blown steampunk rpg with character customization and fashion and enviroments and… and…oh I'm just gonna day dream now :smitten:

Out of curiosity would you be more interested in seeing a Steampunk RPG with fantasy elements or "pure" steampunk? I love the way Arcanum used the whole magic vs. technology story arc but wouldn't mind a different take.

Maybe someone should combine the Steampunk setting with your dark / gothic vampire world suggestion. I think that could work well :)

I think I'd prefer a modern day steampunk over a fantasy one but I wouldn't mind either way. Of course it would be ever sweeter in a darker setting ;)

Will like to see a nice horror RPG, maybe a Ravenloft-like one or something lovecraftian or even sci-fi horror (sadly Aliens RPG was canned...)

Using the ancient civilizations as setting (Greece, Egypt and others), I only know some action-RPGs like Titan Quest.

Modern days too, except for Alpha Protocol they're almost inexistent

I thought this thread was dead!

Interesting suggestions. Funny how popular Steampunk seems to be. Was never quite my setting, to be honest :)

Last Friday I bought the world book and a novel from the "Splittermond" setting. I'd like to see that in an C-RPG.

The setting is far more universal than the Aventuria /TDE setting. It was made, though, by people who had been working on the TDE setting for years (and in a few cases even in decades).
Which has led many people to believe that it was primarily built as an more universal rival-setting of TDE. Plus, it is more newbie-friendly. Not that much number-cruncher oriented like TDE 4th edition
(the 5th edition is said to have become more newbie-friendly again, but I fear that that ship has already sailed and the vocal minority of the number-crunchers and the insane high prices of 4th edition rule books has driven too many players away from TDE, leaving only a small, highly conservative grioup behind - that's my personal impression, but I must also say that I'm biased).

I don't think that Splittermond is translated yet (TDE 5th edition is), but I cautiously begin to like this setting. A huge plus is the colourinh : a light blue hue - different from most RPG settings (WarHammer is my personal worst, no 20 horses will make me buy a book from that setting !).

To me, Splittermond is also a nice way away from the current - as I call it - "heavy metal" fashion in RPG settings.

Wikipedia entry about it : https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splittermond
No other language seems to be available for it so far.

Last edited:
Nice necro Alrik. Interesting topic though. I would like to see loads of different genres, the only ones I'm not a huge fan of are Fantasy and realistic (no matter the time). Cyberpunk, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Postapocalyptic, Space Fantasy...all good.

Back
Top Bottom