Original Sin EE - Review @ IGN

Voice acting disrupts your imagination, that's why it's always bad. Video games are supposed to be about YOU, not about listening to people delivering lines.

I'll agree, never did care much for voice overs. The greeting line is fine to set a voice or accent to a character, but after that? I READ the lines, which just means I'll hear the first word or two in every sentence before I'm on to the next. I you were to actually listen to the lines instead of reading them the games would either have to be a lot less dialogue heavy (and most games these days are extremely light on that front) or it would take forever to play through. I listen to audio books, but in a game I prefer to read since it's the interaction that's interesting.

I never really want voice overs because they limit roleplaying options since each option usually results in another sentence in text that needs to be voiced. But in the case of D:OS EE, that didn't seem to stop them.

Maybe I'm a minority but I'm a voracious reader. I put subtitles on in every movie or game regardless of language. When VO occurs in games I'm visually finished the sentence when they are in the third word. SWTOR's $300million for VO was completely wasted on me. Even after experiencing all character background story path, I probably listened to less than 10% of VO.
Also, if you trap me in a long VO cutscene with no option of cancelling, I may send anthrax to the developer.

Maybe I'm a minority but I'm a voracious reader. I put subtitles on in every movie or game regardless of language. When VO occurs in games I'm visually finished the sentence when they are in the third word. SWTOR's $300million for VO was completely wasted on me. Even after experiencing all character background story path, I probably listened to less than 10% of VO.
Also, if you trap me in a long VO cutscene with no option of cancelling, I may send anthrax to the developer.

I'm in the same boat. First thing I do when firing up a game is turn on subtitles, and I also prefer to watch my movies with subs.

Same here, I read the lines and go to the next, just hearing a couple of words spoken. I don't need it for immersion. Sometimes the opposite happens when the voices are annoying.

Add me to the voiceless choir. Subtitles are a necessity for me. Like most folks, I read much faster than someone can speak, so the voices are just wasted effort. Like Wisdom, I absolutely hate it if you can't skip the VO and have to waste time listening to someone drone on and on.

voice overs are very much a necessity for a local co-op, console game. Make of that what you will.

Back
Top Bottom