Fallout 4 - Base Customization @ Gamespot

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamespot asked Pete Hines about base customization in Fallout 4:

Fallout 4 Base Customization Will Have More Options Than Skyrim

Want to build a spaceship? You can do that.

At E3, developer Bethesda announced that Fallout 4 would have places in its world for players to build bases. Now, Marketing VP Pete Hines has revealed to GameSpot a little more about the extent of this creator and a level of customization available to players.

In an interview at Quakecon, Hines told us that the base creator isn't limited to pre-determined frameworks for buildings. Rather, players will be given the ability to decide many different aspects of their buildings. Hines specifically referenced the homes players can own in Skyrim - although there are small choices in customization, most of the buildings were set and unchangeable. Hines explained that Fallout 4 gives you much more control over your base than Skyrim does.

"It's not just, 'Hey, here's Breezehome [one of the houses in Skyrim],' where we just picked a house, and you can buy it, and you can go to somebody and say, 'Here's this much gold, and put this thing into my house.' [In Fallout 4] it's, 'Now I'm building it, I'm actually building the house, I'm building the wall, I'm placing the door, I made the table, I made the mattress.' It's that sense of making your own way in the world and defining, 'Who am I and where do I live and what's my story in this world?'"

He went on to say that building locations are limited, but there are a lot of options for building within those spaces. "There are preset locations around the world where you can [build]," Hines explained. "You can definitely build up... [In one demo] there's a radio tower, and the developer that built it just kept going up and incorporating the tower into their structure."

He continued: "Much like a game like Minecraft, you can be a noob and just build a simple little thing. And you can also get the guys who go crazy and [can say], 'I rebuilt the spaceship from this game... [or] I rebuilt the Tardis from Doctor Who using the lights and stuff and it looks exactly like it.' Like, holy s**t that's incredible."

More information.

Well, I'm carefully optimistic, just in case it happens to be "Radiant Base Customization", otherwise it would be really cool.

Mmm basebuilding In Fallout
with any purpose or just for the looks??
If it isjust for the looks: blah

If it has any use, sure why not

The use and purpose is told, same as in Skyrim (or some other Bethesda's games)

It's that sense of making your own way in the world and defining, 'Who am I and where do I live and what's my story in this world?'"

That's providing elements to define the character's narrative course in the gameworld.

The use and purpose is told, same as in Skyrim (or some other Bethesda's games)

That's providing elements to define the character's narrative course in the gameworld.

What narrative course if the game around does not react to what you did?! It will be crap like in all Bethesda games.

That's what I've been telling people all along, for all these years...
It's furniture that makes the man, not a man that makes the furniture.

I was making a basement for myself and my vampire wife with cosy coffins in Skyrim. Guess this time it will be kind of cannibal dungeon.

I wonder whether we have some village template builds in case we do want something there, but don't want to spend a bunch of time at it?

I kind of thing everybody (devs) are going overboard with the base thing. It was ok in DAI. It was ok in PoE. I could've done without it, even though it was at least core to everything in DAI. I just don't see base building and all that as being really necessary and I don't need a minecraft/SIMs mini game in a good RPG. A place to dump your crap, like a skyrim house, is plenty IMO.

I'm much more into great gameplay, mechanics, character building, and content. Distractions and side crap that detract from or diminish the core in any way aren't necessary.

I'm also not a graphics first kind of person but if they did weaker overall graphics so they could suit the building that's pretty sad as well (on top of already having to dumb everything down and have weaker graphics due to the ever present console/controller limitations).

What narrative course if the game around does not react to what you did?! It will be crap like in all Bethesda games.

The narrative course set by the player.

The reactive features are another story, early reports stated that raiders would target the community installed in the settlement.

Beside, and more importantly, so called RPGers are very picky when it comes to reaction, the gameworld must send back the reflection of them being powerful beings.

A lavishly built base plundered and razed by raiders while the PC is on a mission, while being a totally possible and desired possibility by gamers, is certainly not something so called RPGers will like. And socalled RPGers are going to be the main customers for Bethesda's games.

Bethesda must design games that their customers like, they cant focus on making good games only. Good games would only attract gamers, not enough of them to sustain the industry.

LOL Chien, you not only do have a point (which isn't all that unusual) but it's also a clearly written one (which is). Are you feeling ok? :biggrin:

LOL Chien, you not only do have a point (which isn't all that unusual) but it's also a clearly written one (which is). Are you feeling ok? :biggrin:

My thoughts exactly. I even agree with him, which could be a first...or maybe it's just the first time I actually understand what he's saying.

Humour us and tell us more about the distiction between RPGers and gamers, Chien.

Good to know what Bethesda has been focusing on all these years of development (hint: it's not gameplay).

I agree with Voqar, this base building stuff doesn't appeal to me at all. Fallout 4 has lost all my interest with this and other things I have seen or read. I don't like the direction Bethesda has gone with their recent games, they keep removing RPG elements such as basic attributes (in Skyrim) and skills (in Fallout 4) with their new games, and add stuff like base building that I personally find boring and stupid.

Good to know what Bethesda has been focusing on all these years of development (hint: it's not gameplay).
I know "what Bethesda has been focusing on all these years of development"!
Bugfixing.
:p

I don't want to be too negative about this, but base building and this sort of Minecraft, craft and build type of gameplay, really is not my thing. I suppose it's great for Minecraft fans and the newer generation that likes this stuff, but I wish they would spend their resources on the "meat and potatoes" in the game. More RPG stuff, more skills, not less, unique perks, traits, stats, etc. Not "build a base" mode that is basically completely pointless.

I don't want to be too negative about this, but base building and this sort of Minecraft, craft and build type of gameplay

I thought the same when I read the news.
Fallout 3 + Minecraft = Fallout 4?

I thought the same when I read the news.
Fallout 3 + Minecraft = Fallout 4?

It seems to be a major trend lately. So many Minecraft style games, and almost every game has to have crafting and building elements. I never thought I'd see it in a Fallout game, but well, here it is.

Thankfully it's optional so we hopefully won't miss much by not using the feature. I *could* see the feature being fun for Let's Players like myself, though. I think the younger audience would like seeing an interesting base being built. That's probably the only time I would consider doing it, though. I'm more into the exploration and discovery part of RPGs.

Great, I found the perfect thread to add people to my ignore list. If this keeps going half of the Watch will be there....

Back
Top Bottom