What games are you playing now?

I gave Last of Us another chance and finished it. I enjoyed it for the most part, even if it's a linear experience. The characters were perfect, the environments and the sense of place is amazing.. Took me around 17h which is around 6-7h more than most other people it seems heh..

I also just finished the DLC, took me 2.40h, it was great as well. They're really nailed the pacing in both the main game and the DLC. I just wish the PS3 controller was better, it's really bad in comparison to the 360 controller imo.. i really dont like how "tall" the thumbsticks are, wish they were half the length, feels like it would give much better precision and just overall be easier to aim.

Edit: meh, this probably belongs in "last game you finished", but i guess it doesnt matter.

Both controllers have their ups and downs, but they're both pretty good overall.

I personally prefer the 360 controller, because I like the analogue triggers better - and for whatever reason, I tend to get light cramps in my hands after extended use of the PS3 controller.

yeah i also get slight cramps from the PS3 controller if i use it for too long. The position of the thumbsticks + the length of them is also much better on 360 imo, the positioning makes it feel more natural to hold it (they're placed much too close on the PS3 controller)

yeah i get cramps to from the PS3 controller if i use it for too long. The position of the thumbsticks + the length is also much better on 360 imo, the positioning makes it feel more natural to hold it.

Yup… Come to think of it, I think it's my thumbs that ache after a while - due to the positioning of the sticks. I don't have big hands - but the PS3 controller is still too small to be comfortable at length.

I still miss the old NES controller. ;)

I've been dabbling with a blasty-mage wood elf in Skyrim, roaming at random through Morrowind, and I've just started cutting people up in Theme Hospital. So really, I'm just mindless time-waste gaming at the moment.

Heroes of Might and Magic I at the moment for me. I've got lots to say about it, but I'll save that for a different thread. It has a very strong love/hate form of gameplay where the love will not last much beyond the moment when boredom kicks in, but it does seem to be one of those games that's highly addictive in the short-term.

It's very similar to Civlisation but without the micro-management and with RPG basic mechanics. The options screen is designed as to suggest the game is a chess-like experience but on closer inspection the chess elements are almost completely subdued by deliberately vague and intentionally irritating 'luck' based gameplay.

You'll line up your stack of 150 Peasants so that they will get the first strike on 30 Dwarfs, ha-ha you think, can't beat a good bit of cunning, only for the Dwarfs to get a 'lucky' break and get a luck-bonus free move, allowing them to strike your Peasants down to 70 before they can deliver their one and only useful skill of one single big-hit.

Since there is absolutely no way to predict or prepare for such 'luck' scenarios it makes a complete mockery of any sense of real strategy, so why did they even bother attempting to suggest the game is chess-like. The whole exact point of chess-like means 'luck' will not play a role.

And yeah, good ol' fog of war. Move one solitary space further from your castle than the AI has calculated would leave it defendable and, oh, what a surprise, an enemy hero comes immediately trotting out of the fog of war and into view, like someone persistently poking you in the back of your neck on a very long bus journey.

This isn't to say the game's totally unplayable, it's got some good elements of playability, such as the desire to acquire loot, build buildings and engage in some Paladin on Dragon action and, as such, I've found myself wanting to beat the game on various levels. I'm no hardcore game-beater, but beating a level entitled 'impossible', even if it was on the Normal/Average settings, was something I was happy that I achieved, even if it was with a fair number of reloads. Since the AI cheats with 'luck' (and various other obvious fix-irritations) I don't feel at all as if I'm cheating by using my 'player' exploit of reloading to counter the 'impossible to strategise' in a 'strategy' game.

I'm still playing Draeknsang 2. It's a bit of a plodder with the slow running speed (more like slow motion jogging), but of course I'm liking it for the world design and questing. If it weren't for the fast travel points I would have lost interest long ago... :)

And I'm almost done with ME1 replay.
Um… Forgeddit, I ment… I'm replaying DLC:The Trilogy.
Expect a post in "finished" thread tomorrow then I'm on the second game.

Trasher, I'll need some input on ME3 multiplayer, when I get on it ofc. Never tried it before.

Started what seems like the 2nd half of Final Fantasy 6. Hated the first part beyond words, sort off pulling myself through this due to stubbornness and the 2nd part looking a bit better so far.

Trasher, I'll need some input on ME3 multiplayer, when I get on it ofc. Never tried it before.

It's wonderful fun. I hope there's still enough players on the servers. Be aware the enemies are at least 10x tougher than normal difficulty. And there are many more of them. But you can have 3 other squadmates to help you. Also, lag is major killer, so make sure whoever is hosting the game is nearby, and your connection is high speed. You don't want to play with a host halfway around the world or in certain known to have bad connectivity countries.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure to play with a mic. Half of the fun is the banter once you find fun players. Ijust used to the builtin mic on my laptop, and apparently it works fine (with press button to talk) and headphones.

I've decided to pick up Titanfall and give it a try, and am terribly disappointed. From game design perspective, it's ok and is kind of fun. But graphics engine-wise, it's horrendous. It's got some Source modified engine, and just runs plain crap. And looks crap too. I've got an i5 @ 2.5 Ghz, nVidia GT 560 TI and 8 gigs of ram. I can run Battlefield 3/4 with mostly high settings and that game looks amazing. I try to run Titanfall with everything on high, and it looks just awful. And it performs horribly. Stuttering, non-smooth gameplay, that's just un-acceptable in an fps. And I refuse to set it to lower settings, to make an already mediocre-looking game look even worse.

Oh, and it occupies aprox 50 gigs on my harddrive, because they chose to not compress their audio, and have the engine decode it at runtime, for performance purposes. Yeah, right. Personally, I've heard nothing in the audio to write home about. And it still runs like absolute crap.

Oh, and I just realized, if they don't do that in memory, chances are they'll be hitting my harddrive for audio files all the time, as there's no way the engine will be loading all of that into ram. Great thinking geniuses.

EDIT: And it seems I'm not the only one with issues.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/15/t...best-settings-to-maximize-your-effectiveness/

Last edited:
Currently playing SSI/Raven's CyClones from 1994. Having a blast! Never managed to beat the first level in all those years (mouse is REALLY slow), but this turn I finally got the hang of it and made it to lvl 8 (and I won't stop until I'm done, promised!).

I been playing Qvadriga turn based(WEGO) roman chariot racing.Sounds weird but games works well in practice and it's very fun, I tried demo first and after few races decided to buy game.

Since there is absolutely no way to predict or prepare for such 'luck' scenarios it makes a complete mockery of any sense of real strategy, so why did they even bother attempting to suggest the game is chess-like. The whole exact point of chess-like means 'luck' will not play a role.
Yeah, quite a few of so called "strategy" games have a "luck factor" which makes them anything but strategy.

Replaying Bioshock Infinite. Frankly, I'm still amazed at how powerful it is as an experience. It's also a much better shooter than people give it credit for.

Absolutely beautiful game all in all.

Replaying Bioshock Infinite. Frankly, I'm still amazed at how powerful it is as an experience. It's also a much better shooter than people give it credit for.

Absolutely beautiful game all in all.

Ooh - thanks for the reminder ... forgot that they released the Mac version since I finished playing, downloading for replay now!

Ooh - thanks for the reminder … forgot that they released the Mac version since I finished playing, downloading for replay now!

I started the replay because I'm going to play the DLCs afterwards, and I wanted to refresh my memory in terms of the story.

I didn't expect to enjoy it this much, though - as I'm not really big on replays.

But there's something about this game that gets to me in a big way, and that's quite rare.

I've played ~5 hours straight - which is even more rare for me these days, and I'm only taking a little break to get something to eat.

Love it ;)

Still playing KotOR. I'm enjoying it a lot but sometimes I see too much similarity to ME series. The fact Carth/Kaidan voice sounding *exactly same* doesn't really help either (and I don't like Kaidan, and certainly don't like Carth at this point). At least I was glad that Bastilla doesn't sound like Fem Shep. And I hate fake alien dialogue recordings, it's annoying!

I'm already side tracking a bit and reading about KotOR2... is this worth playing? I did hear things about unfinished story and cut contents for companions which reminds me a lot of NWN2 OC....

Back
Top Bottom