Hero - E3 Trailer @ Worthplaying

Just a minor quibble, Big Hugh Games is making "Big Huge RPG" they are not the developer of Dungeon Heroes Firefly Studios is ;)

Ubbax

"But never think there's a best system. There is only. at best, a system that annoys fewer people than the alternatives." - Brad Wardell

Last edited:
Hmm... Looks intriguing. I wonder how it's going to be in terms of gameplay and goals. I have to admit a certain fondness for the stuff Firefly Studios does, the games aren't always good but they have some solid ideas and their games seem to usually stop just short of being solid. I think they try in earnest and that combined with their subject matter is what appeals to me. So this Dungeon Hero has my curiousity piqued.
From that trailer, it looks like it could be anything, from a hack and slash dungeon crawler to something of a dungeon builder strategy game. What worries me is that it may try to be too many things at once and end up being not good at any of them.

Could they have found a *worse* name ... oh, well ... it still looks interesting.

Could they have found a *worse* name ... oh, well ... it still looks interesting.

Worse? Hardly. ;)
But other games have equally bad names: SpellForce 2: Shadow Wars, Legend - Hand of God, etc.
All are pretty high on the Generic-O-Meter.

Something like Drakensang: The Dark Eye is strange and will give them an uphill battle for the first game of the franchise, but it´s at least original. So if the game is a solid success they have good chances that the word of mouth will lead customers exactly to their game and that it will become a brand name when the sequel comes out.
A similar example: The Elder Scrolls: (enter names here).

Maybe publishers intentionally take the opposite road though. If their game is average, why not be satisfied with a routine success? Choose a generic genre-specific name, make everything solid and collect the standard sales from people unaware what exactly they are buying.

what's so bad about the name?

Theyre just cutting to the chase ='.'=

The name is terrible. Both "Dungeon" and "Hero" are generic and nearly meaningless because they have been used before for countless other games.

The ideal name is short, original, avoids numbers (if possible) and generic elements, and transports a clear message. For example: Quake, Doom, Sim City, The Sims, Duke Nukem (3D ;) ), Max Payne, Resident Evil, Wasteland.

http://dukenukem.typepad.com/game_matters/2004/02/the_name_of_the.html

Last edited:
If I was going to make a game i'd name it "Fist of Fiery Dungeon Death Hero's Shadow Ring Quest Lords."

If I made a game, I'd call it Roqua!! :biggrin: Sounds good and no-one would guess what it was all about!! :)

Back
Top Bottom