What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

If you are a fan of fallout, I would also recommend: the Road
Yea? I'm recommendig it too. ;)
A very good movie, not just for Fallout or Mortensen fans, anyone can find it appealing. Especially because the kid is not yucky Spielbergish - if one wants a lil' genius with IQ 300 should look elsewhere.

Moved a couple of posts from the last pages to the TV Series thread.

Wat.
Dang, I forgot all about the TV series thread, sticky or not! That's what super duper meds will do to you, right before you forget your brains back at the doctor's :p.

Talking about movies: I just got back Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal FAKK 2. Had borrowed the DVDs to a colleague. While I enjoyed the first one when it hit theaters back in… well, way back, I still think that the second one is the better movie. Even though I used to read Heavy Metal magazine and knew all the artists back then.

Last edited:
Just caught Stallone's Bullet to the Head.

Even by Stallone standards, this movie is god-awful. Both Stallone and his co-star were so wooden in their acting as to be grueling to watch on screen together. Additionally, you could see the clichéd plot coming from a mile away. Dirty cops, out-of-place Asian stereotypes for failed attempts at levity, and stilted macho man dialogue out of Stallone all thrown together to create a laborious movie to watch.

About the only good thing was all the nudity - no, really. As juvenile as it may sound, it's refreshing to watch a contemporary release that doesn't compromise to garner itself a PG-13 rating. I just wish the film wasn't absolutely terrible otherwise.

Bubba Ho-tep

With Bruce Campbell playing Elvis in a nursing home, fighting a soul-sucking mummy alongside a guy who believes he is JFK (and whose skin was dyed black as part of the coverup), this movie is so silly that it's good. Well, somewhat good. Worth a watch if you're a Campbell fan.

A documentary about Abraham Lincoln, covering his lesser known career as a hunter. Of vampires. Lots of things I didn't know. Quite interesting, and quite enjoyable, despite mediocre critics.

pibbur who also newly discovered Jane Austen's interest in zombies

Man of Steel

I don't want to go into details much for fear of spoiling the movie for others but… this film inspired none of the hope whatsoever that I have come to enjoy from the Superman franchise. It's more of a generic sci-fi story with capes thrown in for good measure. Pretty disappointed. Even with its unoriginal script, I preferred Superman Returns to this reboot - and that's saying a lot.

Bubba Ho-tep

With Bruce Campbell playing Elvis in a nursing home, fighting a soul-sucking mummy alongside a guy who believes he is JFK (and whose skin was dyed black as part of the coverup), this movie is so silly that it's good. Well, somewhat good. Worth a watch if you're a Campbell fan.

That movie is one of those unique underestimated and pretty much unknown masterpieces.
You don't have to be Campbell's fan to get dragged into becoming one after that movie.

Guys why are you coming with those mindblowers I've added to my DVD home collection ages ago? Find me one I haven't watched yet!

Man of Steel

I don't want to go into details much for fear of spoiling the movie for others but… this film inspired none of the hope whatsoever that I have come to enjoy from the Superman franchise. It's more of a generic sci-fi story with capes thrown in for good measure. Pretty disappointed. Even with its unoriginal script, I preferred Superman Returns to this reboot - and that's saying a lot.

Yep.. I saw it last night and was greatly disappointed. Other than a couple of decent fight scenes, I thought it was mostly mediocre. Antje Traue as Faora-Ul (Zod's wife) was the only cast member that stood out to me in a positive way.

I saw Der Tunnel (2001) yesterday, with capital T from Tension.
Based on a true story. About people who made a tunnel between West and East Berlin to help people escape the DDR. Not only informative (how the Stasi, the secret service operated) but captivating as well: starting slowly, like a train, but most engrossing at the end. Tight muscles in every part of my body.

I must see that one. Not because of mobs and whatnot. But I adore that director's previous work and I hope for more swimming on the other side of reality.

Found a website that offers info on whether or not it's worth it to watch certain movies in 3D:

cinemablend.com: To 3D or Not to 3D.

Very useful!

I am wondering how long 3D will be around. I read an article this week which said that revenue for 3D movies are dropping. If there was an option between a regular movie and its 3D version, i would always pick the 3D version. But, the last couple movies i've seen, i didn't see the 3D version. I think the novelty has worn off. At least for me.

I think the only movie I ever caught in 3D was the much-hyped Avatar. And, whether it was the derivative story that I rolled my eyes over or the anti-climactic "revolutionary" special effects, it was also the last movie I watched in 3D.

If your movie is crap and relies on special effects to draw people in, then people will get disillusioned regardless if it's 3D or not... and the next time around, they'll think twice before paying extra to be disappointed just the same.

We've seen quite a few 3D movies, more by circumstance than any burning desire. Most of the time, it doesn't really add much beyond inflated ticket prices. Actually, I thought Avatar was one of the few shows where the 3D actually added to the experience (I accepted the movie for what it was, so I don't share the hate most have, but I do understand that hate).

I saw World War Z last night.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll eventually see a major film this year that doesn't disappoint me. I really thought WWZ was going to buck the trend of generic cliches in movies like this. I was wrong.

It's not completely terrible, but it is completely average. Basically, it's an American version of 28 Days Later. Zombies that sprint fast enough to make a track athlete jealous, and people turning within 10 seconds of being bitten.

What started as a seemingly decent plot ended up being a huge letdown for me. I won't spoil anything except to say that it completely changes direction about halfway through and imo not for the better.

It's probably a decent enough popcorn flick for most people, but crank your expectations down a notch if you were looking for something special.

Back
Top Bottom