The Bard's Tale IV - Officially Announced!

As long as the new one is like the classics, I'll be getting it for sure. Doesn't need sound, doesn't need high end graphics, just needs hundreds of hours of devotion. Make it so. And for f's sake, don't waste a penny on stupid voice overs or junk like that!

yes, Yes, YES, YESSS!!!!

Beating Bard's Tale II is one of the proudest moments of my gaming life.

Biggest question I have: Will we face off against 396 Berserkers? =)

Hopefully they bring back Roscoe's Energy Emporium. That was the only bit I didn't like about Bards Tale 3, the lack of shops.

The last Bard's Tale didn't have much in common with the older games, no ?
Or do I remember it wrong ?
I never played any of the games of this series.

Everyone who survived the Crypt in Bard's Tale 2 and fought against Father Kringle and Ybarra the Mage, wants a game of this challenge again.

Exactly this. Give us a REAL challenge. Stop holding my hand and giving me so many hints and so many get out of jail for free cards.

Trouble is that there's just no way Brian is not going to compromise the gameplay in some way because he knows it is necessary for mainstream appeal that the game can be breezed through with relative ease by the average Joe.

I feel sorry for the ones who grew with 80s computer platforms, I think they're in for a rude awakening. It's really, really not encouraging to see it being compared to a free to play card game.

He certainly wants to raise nearly a million dollar for this project, or more. It means he has to give the average Joe eye candy and impressive features that make the game look exciting and fun; it really remains to be seen how compatible it is with cerebral, number-crunching blobbers of yore that are extremely light on plot.

There are already so many red lights with this, it would be wiser not to get optimistic as of yet.

Last edited:
As long as the new one is like the classics, I'll be getting it for sure. Doesn't need sound, doesn't need high end graphics, just needs hundreds of hours of devotion. Make it so. And for f's sake, don't waste a penny on stupid voice overs or junk like that!

100s of hours of devotion to do.. what exactly?

Why bother remaking it? Just play the old one then.

Wow! One of my favorite game series ever. I couldn't be more excited. BTW, the most recent Bards Tale is nothing like the originals.

It's really, really not encouraging to see it being compared to a free to play card game.

Err it is not being directly compared with it. It is basically saying he wants it do what hearthstone did for the card game genre. Concepts like counters can be applied to any genre, like using a mist grenade counters laser weapons.

Let's just hope we're not fighting Nazi robots like in BT3 :)

If you haven't played the original ones then you really missed out on one of the great rpg games of the early cprg days. The tongue in cheek one had nothing to do with the older ones...thank god this one does.

Man those games were classic like the old ultima's. Matter of fact ultima's and Bard's tales got me going on rpg's in the first place. This could potentially be very good.

So backing this.

100s of hours of devotion to do.. what exactly?

Why bother remaking it? Just play the old one then.

Um what? Why wouldn't you want a new one?

Why devotion? Because something like the original Bard Tale games I replayed many times over, retrying things with different classes, combinations, and techniques. Games were way much better before the internet got involved and offered cheats in every possible form.

Anyone expecting an easy-mode games should start running now, I highly doubt any team involved would spit on the past games of this series and neuter a new one. At least that's my hope =).

Actually they brought on board "Burger Billy", one of the devs who used to work on the series and who tried to make a spiritual successor that was cancelled in the 90s.

That spiritual successor looked like an Everquest clone. That was more than 15 years ago. That person is going to have a very central role on the design and production. So in this age of mobile these old developers probably become even more favorable to the idea of making a "more casual" game.

Actually they brought on board "Burger Billy", one of the devs who used to work on the series and who tried to make a spiritual successor that was cancelled in the 90s.

That spiritual successor looked like an Everquest clone. That was more than 15 years ago. That person is going to have a very central role on the design and production. So in this age of mobile these old developers probably become even more favorable to the idea of making a "more casual" game.

Your last paragraph says they brough on an old school developer and then go on to state they will want to make a more casual game....say what?

My wallet is crying.

It was easy before... No to season pass games, no to phonegames that pretend not to be phonegames, no to grinders...
Hell too many proper games are incoming! If they don't slow down, I'll go bankrupt.

Hmmm, you could almost call the original bard's tale games grinders with the amount of combat you had to do to level up your characters.

Your last paragraph says they brough on an old school developer and then go on to state they will want to make a more casual game….say what?

I am showing that when they have the choice to make a game how they see fit it neither looks not plays like what their older fans played and expect.

Oh, shit! Bards Tale 4!! This news just made my day!
edit:
regarding
From a story perspective, players will be returning to Skara Brae, where it all began. But on the gameplay side of things, Fargo is planning a deviation.

"Traditional turn-based combat," as Fargo calls it, bases turns on varying factors, creating battles in which different characters attacked at different times, often alternating between opposing sides. But in The Bard's Tale IV, teams attack all at once. This increases the pace of the combat, and allows for a different set of tactics than the traditional system might allow.

"There will be plenty of combat diversity and depth," Fargo said. "You look at something like Hearthstone, for example. It's sort of that going back-and-forth process, and you see the complexity and detail and strategy and nuance that can happen. It's really an amazing system. I love those modern influences. I took a lot away from that, and see things we need to do with our combat system."

Having trouble picturing what he means by all teams attack at once?

I suppose its something like giving your party orders like fight, fight, fight, defend, defend, cast.... And I did play a lot of Hearthstone until they ruined it with GvG cards messing up my deck.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
I am showing that when they have the choice to make a game how they see fit it neither looks not plays like what their older fans played and expect.

Sure, I guess...but the track record for them is pretty good, and they say they want to have a lot of the original with some modern things, like for instance...they stated they couldn't have people mapping out on graph paper but then stated they may add that as a hardcore mode(turning off the auto map I assume.)

Oh, shit! Bards Tale 4!! This news just made my day!
edit:
regarding

Having trouble picturing what he means by all teams attack at once?

I suppose its something like giving your party orders like fight, fight, fight, defend, defend, cast…. And I did play a lot of Hearthstone until they ruined it with GvG cards messing up my deck.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's exactly how the old ones worked...so I assume yes.

Back
Top Bottom