What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Well, David was portrayed as a curious being, so it's implied that he wanted to see what would happen.

He knew that Shaw's pregnancy wasn't normal due to its accelerated rate.

I just really don't think Prometheus was good enough to warrant all this analysis. Sort of like The Matrix sequels - random pseudo-intellectual BS.

Unshackled curiosity as dangerous, is sort of a theme of this movie. Also, the Prometheus reference: fire = bioengineering?

Fire/Prometheus gave rise to the growth of civilization in mythology. And Alien seeding gave rise to mankind in the movie. Pretty simple.

But, yes, the movie was a joke and a half and doesn't deserve all this consideration. Want to thoughtfully discuss something, let's talk Man from Earth :)

I was disappointed by Prometheus mostly due to my own overblown expectations, but after watching it again recently, I don't think it's a bad movie by any means. I'm quite looking forward to seeing what Ridley does with the sequel.

Funnily enough, I saw Prometheus for the first time yesterday. Well, yes. It was a movie, and not necessarily a waste-of-time-movie, but there was so much I didn't understand.

Prometheus is abysmally bad - no matter what you expect. There's nothing to understand, except that it's a crap movie. It doesn't make sense - and the characters are beyond stupid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/reviews

2323 out of 2906 people agree with me ;)

That said, obviously it's subjective!

Apparently it is objective as 70% thinks it should be ranked as a 7 or more. A very vocal minority feels it really sucks. That is based on 286K voters.
Even if I would factor in my expectations on how these numbers might be skewed by paid bots voting for the movie the average ranking would still be that it is an average movie, not something that is considered abysmally bad.

I still have to to see the movie for myself though.

Apparently it is objective as 70% thinks it should be ranked as a 7 or more. A very vocal minority feels it really sucks. That is based on 286K voters.
Even if I would factor in my expectations on how these numbers might be skewed by paid bots voting for the movie the average ranking would still be that it is an average movie, not something that is considered abysmally bad.

I still have to to see the movie for myself though.

If you think the majority vote has anything to do with objective quality - then you're very mistaken indeed.

There's no objective way to establish quality of a movie.

If you look at the ratings for movies like Avatar and Titanic - I suspect you'll get my point.

Yeah, I watched it twice (I was stuck on a plane). It wasn't terrible, but it certainly had its stupid moments.

I wasn't stuck anywhere, and was not tired after playing grinders nor looking for nostory action B movie.
I wanted a movie that can cause a brainache to bullets/explosion lover audience. And I got (almost) exactly that.

IMO Prometheus came close to a masterpiece. Added to my home DVD collection.

If you think the majority vote has anything to do with objective quality - then you're very mistaken indeed.

There's no objective way to establish quality of a movie.
Correct. Neither votes nor reviews do that. Unless it is a vote or review from someone who experiences movies in the same way as I do, there is not much to go on.

A partial offtopic but it doesn't deserve a separate thread.
The story is this. I can't watch every single movie I want in cinemas, and in my country many movies I want to buy don't have DVD release. Which means I have to buy a DVD form a foreign store (online ofc) and then watch it without subs or with subs I don't understand (for example japanese movie with only german subs included).
Netflix is not a solution - not only it's not available in my country, but movies I want to watch are usually not mainstream and often not available on it.

The solution is (was?) simple. Buy a DVD, and watch it with fansubs. Either english or my own language. There are many ways to do that, one of those is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prR2O0_MgvM

Many ppl do this and it was all perfect… Till yesterday. Swedish police raided one of fansubs sites:
http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?art...le-translation-site-raided-by-police&pageNo=1

I'm writing this just so you all know. If this won't be just one case, I'll be forced not to buy DVDs without at least english subtitles any more as I won't be able to watch movies with a language I don't understand.
This means I can forget finding new rare gems that weren't made by Hollywood. And in the end it means Hollywood wants to dictate what taste ppl who understand english but not romanian, chinese, russian, etc should have.
I cannot accept that. If there will be a way to help undertexter site, as Kickstarter project or something, I'll join it.

I am not entirely clear why it is illegal to provide subtitles. I understand a law not allowing to make a transcript of a book in a different language, but to also have that in place for a movie sounds odd to me. I guess it is also illegal to provide lyrics for music.
Their second angle is that they show ads on their site that apparently provide them a profit, which is not going to the copyright owners of the movies. That is really think as there isn't much money to be made from ads, especially if you have to deduct the cost of the server and bandwidth.

The problem from Hollywood's perspective is that some sites don't contain fansubs but are ripped transcripts from a DVD. Those are usually shown as .idx files and are pretty large (I think they include font graphics). Fansubs are usually small files that are basically .txt so anyone can edit them, but because of different time systems used inside, usually you'll see them as .sub, .srt or .ass file.

Now I do agree that ripping transcripts is illegal, but raiding a site who's members did their own translations from one language to another and are giving those to anyone for free is IMO just plain wrong.

I'm unsure what quality difference can be there, but here's one example when I hated the professional translator of a certain movie I saw on IPTV.
In the movie a certain character explains his inability to deduct something by saying "I'm not Nancy Drew". Now we all know who Nancy Drew is, hell is there anyone who doesn't know that? Seems there is. My bloody translator, instead of leaving the original name, made up something else with rhymes, so the translation, translated back to english would look: "I'm not Eve the Detective". Three times!

But if all the fuss came because of site adds, and now when you mentioned it, it's definetly possible, then I'm even more angry.

Pontypool

A refreshingly original, low budget title I picked up about a town set upon by a mysterious virus. The ending is especially nice as it makes you rethink the virus' cause and subsequent events throughout the film.

If you like lots of dialogue as opposed to over-the-top special effects, I definitely recommend it.

Pacific Rim

Easily the best movie of the year thus far. A pure joy to watch. Sure, much of the acting needed work, but it's forgivable given just how FUN it is to watch this film. I haven't paid to see a movie twice in years but I'll be doing just that to witness this in 3D.

Go see this movie if you were ever a fan of Godzilla; you won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom