What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Saw the new Batman movie. Nolan should just stick to making Batman movies forever. Best American movie I've seen this year. Bane's character was great and his voice was godlike @_@. I just wished he had one final battle with the bat at the end...

Now let's all pray to Odin that Nolan will make another Batman movie. Low chances of that happening but all of the actors said they would play in another movie if Nolan comes with the script and will direct it.

New batman? New? Man, it's already old... All I can remember that it was fun and that I was surprised when I saw Burn Gorman in it (I love his works on other projects).

While really good one, I woudn't dare to claim that it was the best american movie this year.

Isn't the scenario an xth chewing zombies-attack?!

I think the trailer is kinda meh, but that scenario has a lot of potential. Not too thrilled about the cast though.

I've heard good things about the book. I think I'll track down a copy and check it out.

The book is very good, but after reading it you will re-watch the trailer with more of an 'I, Robot' perspective ... only without the one-dimensional Will Smith character from 99% of his stuff.

Yes, joxer…it has mobs that respawn. :)

Definitely a Hollywood grinder ;)

So the game publishers treating the audience as cows to milk with grinders idiocy is spreading to Hollywood?
Right… I'm definetly not watching that one.

Luckily for me movies don't come only from Hollywood and even if they did there will be Deus Ex movie.

Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter
Highly polished trash. Story, suspense, gore and interesting characters were polished away. Mildly entertaining as a popcorn action flick.
D+.
After persuading me for days my brother in the end succeeded to make me rent that movie.

Lemme be clear, I don't watch anything that has the word "american" in the title as it feels just like an attempt to sell crap better. Okay, here it's not "american", but something near.

Just by looking that whole title I thought, hell this is probably the worst movie of the decade. And the plan was, I'll watch first 10-15 mins, turn it off and tell my bro it sux just to make him stop mentioning it.

How wrong I was. It's neither crap nor it's just another vampire or horror movie.

The movie ain't about one, two, a few teenagers slaughtered by mythological creatures or maniacal murderers, it's not happening in the woods, noone is plain stupid or ignorant - the genre was turned upside down in this movie as it touches many social problems (not enough though). Not only that, action scenes are pretty impressive and the cast is all believable. Add a twist into it that normally just can't be possible in movies like this one, but here it works perfectly. Can't believe I'm saying this - but I'm recommending it to everyone.

B

After persuading me for days my brother in the end succeeded to make me rent that movie.

Lemme be clear, I don't watch anything that has the word "american" in the title as it feels just like an attempt to sell crap better. Okay, here it's not "american", but something near.

Just by looking that whole title I thought, hell this is probably the worst movie of the decade. And the plan was, I'll watch first 10-15 mins, turn it off and tell my bro it sux just to make him stop mentioning it.

How wrong I was. It's neither crap nor it's just another vampire or horror movie.

The movie ain't about one, two, a few teenagers slaughtered by mythological creatures or maniacal murderers, it's not happening in the woods, noone is plain stupid or ignorant - the genre was turned upside down in this movie as it touches many social problems (not enough though). Not only that, action scenes are pretty impressive and the cast is all believable. Add a twist into it that normally just can't be possible in movies like this one, but here it works perfectly. Can't believe I'm saying this - but I'm recommending it to everyone.

B

Hm, it was actually quite decent. Some of the action scenes were a bit exaggerated, but all in all quite decent. I liked the main antagonist, Adam. He was able to portray a menacing leading vampire. Another thing i liked was the way it looked on film. Some of the night scenes in the South were really atmospheric. I loved the old mansion where Adam and his league of vampires lived in.

The film made so little impression on me that I don't even remember the things you're talking about. ;)

The film made so little impression on me that I don't even remember the things you're talking about. ;)

Maybe that's because I've just seen it 2 days ago. :D
Anyway, I'm going to the premier of The Hobbit in my home town, on the 14th of Dec. I've managed to grab a really good seat, and I'm really happy considering it's all sold out around that period. Now I only have to contain my excitement and try to lower my over-inflated expectations. :D

The only downside is there's no cinema in my town that can display the movie at the 48fps it was made in. And I was really excited to see that in action.

We're talking about how you have a low expectations and get pleasantly surprised. Thus I put the B on the movie.
More on the matter, in the same thread you rewarded Expendables2 with C. See… That movie was a clear A to me and can't wait for the next sequel. And that one didn't impress you either nor you remember anything from it I suppose. :p
Stash House and 6bullets you've also mentioned, sorry, didn't watch those (and probably never will) so can't say anything about them.

I simply do not share the common feel that horrors and action should never get A or B and that A or B are reserved only for drama. So if I enjoyed a movie much, why would I just lower the rating just because it's this and that genre? ;)

Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2120779/

Unbelievable optimistic doc about someone who was so promising that could have surpased Yngwie Malmsteen's playing skills - if there wasn't an illness that happened.
This is not an ordinary pathetic stuff but a real story about a person who is for music something as Hawking is for the astronomy.
You may watch it for free (within a 30days trial) here:
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Jason-Becker-Not-Dead-Yet/189869/

Make sure you read first how exactly the rental there works:
http://www.lovefilm.com/how-it-works/
Physical discs can be rented only if your address is within the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland and BFPO addresses); this excludes PO Box addresses. This is not the case for streams.

Last edited:
I've just come back from the premiere of The Hobbit. And I loved it, but one thing is for sure: I'm never going to a 3D movie again. I thought there'd maybe be a reason for 3D in this one. But no. Imo it only makes the movie worst. So you could say I loved the movie despite 3D.

I wear glasses for distance, so missing them while wearing the 3D glasses was bound to be a recipe for disaster. But besides the fact that I was seeing some things blurry because of my eye sight, I hate that the 3D glasses makes the whole image dark as hell. I took my glasses off for a good portion of the movie and god did the movie look awesome in the 2D scenes. I hate them for using 3D and almost ruining my movie experience. Half-way through the movie I felt like walking out of the cinema in order not to ruin the rest of this wonderful movie because of the 3D.

Anyways, a little bit about the movie. There will only be very light spoilers.
I loved all the important scenes and how they were treated. The 3 trolls maybe could've been handled better. At least I felt it was better in the book. Not that it's a huge departure from how they approached it in the movie. The song scene in Bilbo's house was amazing. Atmospheric as hell.

The only thing kind of irked me with regards to the movie, while ignoring the 3D, was that they made 1 or 2 scenes funny, when imo they should've been kept more serious. But just a couple of scenes. The other funny scenes were well done I found.

Finally, I'm sure I won't go to part 2 and 3 in 3D. If I manage to find them in 2D I'll most definitely go. But otherwise I'll wait for blu-rays of the extended. God I hate the 3D trend. When is it going to go away?

danutz, I'm with you about the 3D. I have yet to see one that made the film so much more enjoyable/immersing that it justifies the increased ticket price. Plus the extra glasses are annoying.

Having said that, you know the 3D glasses should fit over your own? That's how I have watched them in the past.

Me and Tigress just got back from lunch and a movie - yes, The Hobbit totally rocked. We loved it!

I kinda disagree about the 3D thing. I say kinda, because it definitely does bring a unique experience to the film in that it creates a lot of depth. It's not like the old 3D movies, where the gimmick was that once and awhile something comes jutting out of the screen at you, and you flinch. No, this is more of an overall depth that is conveyed to the brain, and it can be pretty stunning at times.

At times.

Other times, especially during chaotic scenes with a lot going on, it tends to break down a little. It's like the stroboscopic effect some of the newer action films have taken to using, it makes things seem disjointed and the illusion starts to come apart as the brain starts getting ahead of the game.

Overall, yes I'd say it's worth seeing in a theater 3D for the spectacle of some of the more magnificent set-pieces, but I definitely would want to watch it again on a regular screen. Yes, I feel it's worth the cost of admission and a spot on the DVD shelf alongside the rest of the films. The film itself is of course a technical masterpiece of CGI, the story is moving, and characters are good (love the fact that it's all about the Dwarves!), but I must say the constant over-use of 'deus ex machina' mechanic everytime things come down to the wire starts to be a bit off-putting after a while.

It's like they never truly win, instead it's: They are beaten, all is lost, then wham - (fill in the blank) appears and turns the tide. Most of the time it's Gandalf. It just becomes trite and repetitive, and robs some of the tension when you know that whatever happens, someone or something will just suddenly appear out of nowhere and save the day.

Back
Top Bottom