Frayed Knights - Trailer/Teaser Released

When?
There's a strong possibility that the game WILL be released this month

Steam?
We haven't discussed this with Steam yet. So - no, at least not initially. Will it eventually be on Steam? Who knows. It'll be up to them, not me.

Looks good so far, very interested in trying this.

We're planning to have a detailed and hopefully spoiler free review up and posted on the day of release to help any undecided people make the correct choice!! :) I'm on my 3rd playthrough and still enjoying it!!

The OSX version will lag the PC version by a few months, I'm afraid, but I've already got a tentative contract with a guy to do the port. It's a big reason I chose the engine I did.

I'm just wondering how I might be able to buy it ?

This is one of the few games I'm really looking for. It has a unique charm which grabbed me with its pilot.

@Alrik - it will be a digital download, payment handled through BMT - a secure e-commerce provider that handles many indie games (including Eschalon, Din's Curse, etc.).

@Lurking Grue: Nobody's more desperate to see it released than me. :)

@Thrasher: Not phased combat, it's turn-based. You enter the commands individual just before each character acts, not all at once at the beginning of the turn.

@Alrik - it will be a digital download, payment handled through BMT - a secure e-commerce provider that handles many indie games (including Eschalon, Din's Curse, etc.).

@Lurking Grue: Nobody's more desperate to see it released than me. :)

@Thrasher: Not phased combat, it's turn-based. You enter the commands individual just before each character acts, not all at once at the beginning of the turn.

Yippie. i feel like a teenager again.

Honestly I had disregarded this title. After seeing the trailer, however, I am now interested. About how many hours of gameplay does it offer?

edit: nvm, found the FAQs. 20-30 hours. I like the drama points system too.

Last edited:
It's really short then? I thought they were comparing it to MMVI, which lasted well over 100 hours. Is it $10 or so? I thought this was a full-fledged crpg, comparable to MMVI or Avalon. I figured the demo would be 20-30 hours, not the full game! Skaven, you've played this. Is it really a 30 hour game, or is it more like 60 if you do everything?

It's really short then? I thought they were comparing it to MMVI, which lasted well over 100 hours. Is it $10 or so? I thought this was a full-fledged crpg, comparable to MMVI or Avalon. I figured the demo would be 20-30 hours, not the full game! Skaven, you've played this. Is it really a 30 hour game, or is it more like 60 if you do everything?

I think it was originally going to be much larger, but was broken up into 3 logical releases to manage scope. Instead of one large game coming out much later, 3 smaller releases so that one can get out to the players as soon as possible.

I could be getting this confused with another game, though.

I think it was originally going to be much larger, but was broken up into 3 logical releases to manage scope. Instead of one large game coming out much later, 3 smaller releases so that one can get out to the players as soon as possible.

I could be getting this confused with another game, though.

That would be to bad. I dont like that tactic.

It's really short then? I thought they were comparing it to MMVI, which lasted well over 100 hours.
C'mon, 100 hours would be very, very long for an indie CRPG done by one guy on his spare time. I'd say 20-30 hours is more than an acceptable length for an indie game and as such is two or three times longer than most AAA games today made with massive budgets and teams of 100+ members.

GhanBuriGhan said:
Tactic? Survival instinct.
Indeed.

With the latest rounds of playtesting, it's more like 30+ hours. My original 20-30 hour guess was based on my own playtesting when the game hadn't been balanced yet. And I kinda know where everything is. :)

I was originally worried that the original scope was going to result in a game only 15 hours long. It became very clear during development that things had grown SIGNIFICANTLY, and that my estimates were way off. And that I was never gonna get the game done if I didn't cut scope. A LOT. So I basically had to either shrink the game down by a tremendous amount (and cut out some work that's already been done… not a huge loss, but it's something), or break the game into component pieces that would be appropriate for an indie game.

Considering the first act is about double the play length of what I'd originally expected of the entire trilogy, I'm not too worried about that.

Also - I did some things that were kind of stupid if I really wanted to pad out the game length (which could have easily been double this if I'd let it…) The Drama Star thing… which basically gives you a bonus for NOT going back and re-playing content until you "get it right" probably shortens the play time a bit. I also avoided throwing in much that would be considered "filler." Most quests don't require much back-tracking between areas. And I deliberately avoided a design that would encourage players to "grind." If you run straight through the game, hitting some or most of the "optional" dungeons & so forth, you'll be in fine shape for the end-game, power-wise.

It's how I roll. I don't want to deliberately waste my players' time.

The testers could probably speak to its length a little better than me, as I have trouble seeing the forests for the trees. But my feeling was that I'd rather have a shorter game of X really entertaining hours than a longer game of 2X "meh" hours.

And while I'm still trying to cater to the hardcore crowd, I'd like to make sure the average player has a chance of seeing the end-game.

I don't think most players will be at all disappointed with its length.

Back
Top Bottom