Xcom: Enemy unknown discussion

The Demo is way too short, especially considering the size of the download. I don't feel like it showed me enough to decide whether or not I'm going to purchase it. I'm also annoyed that you have to play through the tutorial mission every time you start the demo.

Visuals and atmosphere seemed pretty good. Gameplay seemed solid enough, although a bit simplistic for this type of game. I wonder what the max size of your squad will be in the full game though.

After Xenonauts alpha demo I don't have as big expectations for this game anymore.With Xenonauts we are getting remake that is more true to original so I am hoping that Xcom:enemy unknown will be different than original(which it will be based on demo let's just hope it's in good way).I pre-ordered both games already so I am hoping for best.

JDR13 said:
I wonder what the max size of your squad will be in the full game though.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's 6+1, the "+1" being your combat robot thingy (what was it called? SHIV?), which you can add as extra to your squad — or maybe it was 6 in total with the robot. Umm, can't recall the source, so this is all from my shaky memory, i.e. take it with a grain of salt.

Nameless one said:
With Xenonauts we are getting remake that is more true to original so I am hoping that Xcom:enemy unknown will be different than original(which it will be based on demo let's just hope it's in good way).I pre-ordered both games already so I am hoping for best.
Likewise. I have preordered both games and fully expect them to offer completely different experiences, but still enjoying both (hopefully!). While the Firaxis game is a lighter, more streamlined (not being snarky here) take on the original XCOM with nice spiffy graphics and other modern bells and whistles; it's with Xenonauts that I'll get the truer XCOM experience in all its inventory fiddling, squad micro managing, action point counting glory.

Y'all really need to take a took at UFO:Extraterrestrials. Such a faithful re-creation of X-Com that they should have been sued... ;)

UFO:ET2 got pushed back again (UFO:ET1 got pushed back about 2 years, but was pretty well bug-free and well-balanced when released), but it's still listed for Christmas, here.

I'll need to wait until I get my new laptop with Windows 7, I guess, since it won't run on XP?
Nope, no XP. I'm not real certain why that is because it isn't using high end DirectX graphics. Maybe it's using non-graphic DirectX features only found in 10+? Or maybe they just don't want to mess with ancient OS's.

Guess that's one game that won't be added to my backlog for a while. Unfortunate, I was actually interested.

XCOM remake is available as preload on Steam for all of us who preordered it.

12.3Gb… My C: partition suddenly feels too small. :)

Word of warning: I've been playing on Ironman mode which means you only have one savegame file which writes over itself after every round. Basically you can't cheat the system by reloading if one of your squad members die. I've put a solid 10 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it until... my savegame file is corrupt and I have to start all over. Really really frustrating. With a mode like Ironman and one savegame file you would have hoped for better stability.

Word of warning: I've been playing on Ironman mode which means you only have one savegame file which writes over itself after every round. Basically you can't cheat the system by reloading if one of your squad members die. I've put a solid 10 hours into the game and I'm really enjoying it until… my savegame file is corrupt and I have to start all over. Really really frustrating. With a mode like Ironman and one savegame file you would have hoped for better stability.

does this mean its released?

how about the concerns of repetitive cities (which is also somewhat of an issue in the original) that were found in the demo?

Last edited:
does this mean its released?

how about the concerns of repetitive cities (which is also somewhat of an issue in the original) that were found in the demo?

It was released on steam in North America on october 9.

I haven't played far enough to determine if repetition will be a problem or not. So far so good.

Yep - check the Steam forums, lots of info in there. PC Gamer has a review out plus a game guide. A few interesting easter eggs have been found, too.

There's also some sort of bug making the FMV play back the 720p versions. I'm hoping that gets fixed when the European version gets released.

I'm playing on classic mode with no problem yet, but now I'm using backup saves as well between missions. Gotta say the game is a blast, finally making some headway and progress, ET is going home alright....in a body bag!!!

-Carn

What's "classic mode", and how is it different from the normal game?

The difficulty modes are:
Easy
Normal
Classic
Impossible... or similar wording.

I'm not sure how the difficulty scales, more, tougher aliens probably that do more damage.
Then you can apply Ironman mode to any one of these difficulty settings. Ironman only uses one savegame so you can't reload of your prized soldiers die in combat. Perma death essentially.

Back
Top Bottom